Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Other

Votes: 17 10.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
sA :: Shaggy said:
lots of feedback in the fourms, wish we could get more people to vote on this

The percentages are likely to remain pretty similar to what it's at now. Although, I would have guessed closer to 55/30/15.

I only turn on CNN when something big is going on. Otherwise I hit either MSNBC or Headline News (which has gone unmentioned so far) because of it's faster delivery of news, and they also have a very beautiful array of news anchors. I honestly think that's what hurts CNN, the best looking woman on there is probably Paula Zahn...I'm a single guy so that may be completely NOT the reason at all...

There's a recent study out of UCLA (that right-wing university :rolleyes: ) that indicates 90% of the mainstream media outlets are biased to the left.

http://newsroom.ucla.edu/page.asp?RelNum=6664

"I suspected that many media outlets would tilt to the left because surveys have shown that reporters tend to vote more Democrat than Republican," said Tim Groseclose, a UCLA political scientist and the study's lead author. "But I was surprised at just how pronounced the distinctions are."

Last edited:
But the study employed a measure of "bias" so problematic that its findings are next to useless, and the authors -- both former fellows at conservative think tanks cited in the study to illustrate liberal bias.

The authors have previously received funding from the three premier conservative think tanks in the United States: the American Enterprise Institute for Public Policy Research (AEI), The Heritage Foundation, and the Hoover Institution on War, Revolution and Peace.

long_time_DNC said:
I prefer to watch FNC, though I will occasionally watch the other two. As Charper1 said, they all have their own agendas and rarely do they all have all the facts and even more rarely do they all have them straight.

FauxNews is quite far from simple having an agenda - this is the worst kind of deliberate disinformation, distortion.

Last time I've seen this was the Commie-era central news agencies and sources (TV, radio, newspapers under direct Party control) in my native country during the 80s. FauxNews is horrible, has no journalistic value whatsoever (I've spent 6-7 years working for news during the 90s in Europe).

FauxNews is a classic trash generator, a typical low-level crap throwed up by some party extremes. Seriously, if anyone can take this 0-24 comedy serious, that person needs a reality check.
If you're not joking with this FNC, I suggest you to start your reality check with BBC - their Code of Ethics is THE STANDARD all around the world.
Just an example: I have friends working at BBC and I can tell you, listening/reading their pieces even I cannot tell what's their view on any of their stories. (Later, face-to-face they tell me, of course, they are friends after all. :)) This is how news should be reported. Opinions are not be mixed with news and news shall not be selected by any agenda, spin etc. When I read thei opinions or such, you never will read anything based on one single piece of evidence.

When you've got the feeling by watching or reading BBC for a while, then switch back to FNC... you'll see the difference.

Last edited:
Ah and I accidently clicked on CNN instead of other (ie BBC, NPR, CBC, Deutsche Welle etc) - can somebody fix it for me? Thanks.

The truth be told, all the news places are full of it, especially in the editorial shows heheh. In that case, Nancy Grace and O'Reily for example ;)

They're .. entirely for entertainment, with a slight bit of news :|

I like CNN and BBC News (BBC World).
I don't like Murdoch's SKY News and FOX News.
I receive MSNBC only a few hours per day on CNBC Europe but that's ok. And the main news like CBS Evening News (daily on SKY News) or NBC Nightly News (daily on CNBC Europe) have too much breaks :( 10 minutes of news stretched to a length of 30 minutes. That suckz!

Is American stations that are shown over there in English or are they translated in German.

Last edited:
News channels in English and real time. But our CNN and CNBC comes from London. Only a few hours per day we can see live coverages from CNN USA and MSNBC USA. Mostly if something happens in the states, CNN Int. brings CNN USA live to Europe ... e.g. 9/11 or the plane crash in Toronto a few weeks ago.

We have lots of US networks like Discovery or National Geographic here in Europe.
Take a look at our german providers Kabel Deutschland / Premiere
But they are all translated into our european languages (dutch, german, czech, french etc.)

Last edited:
Do most people get their programming from Cable or Satellite. Europe has a reputation as being a big satellite tv watching group of people, right?

well ... most of european channels are encrypted and you must have a lot of money to watch all of them. Every damn country here encrypts his channels or you need a damn big dish to watch it for free (or you must be a paytv hacker)

Germany is the only one with many FTA stations on satellite and cable. But on cable we can see a change in this days. The RTL Group starts its paytv package on cable and will encrypt their FTA channels too. And I guess, ProSiebenSat.1 Media will follow :( The only FTA channels in the near future will be the ARD and ZDF (~30 channels).

On terrestric antenna (DVB-T) we have 29 digital FTA channels in Berlin. And on cable we have ~30 analoge channels (also RTL Group and ProSiebenSat.1 Media) until 2009 in FTA.

Fox news struck gold when they decided to be overt with their conservative viewpoint, and we will find more and more editorializing from all the news networks and also the majors. CNN is certainly trying to find its niche. (Can Lou Dobbs stop talking about illegal aliens for ten minutes? I swear he must have been abducted.)

I personally would prefer to get my news with as little editorializing as possible, so CNN headline news tends to work the best for me, even if they never get too deep into a story. They just don't have the time to give their opinions. They kick it old school, editorializing by omission.

Remember the good old days when if somebody wanted to give an editorial (or an editorial rebuttal) they were given five minutes at the end of the news and said what they wanted to say.

Last edited:
I like a news source that does not paraphrase what a particular news figure said but shows the full context of the speech or remarks. The same with newspaper reporting. Let me hear or read what was said. Do not paraphrase or tell me what you think was meant. And in order to get full news coverage you have to watch more than one source;especially to find out what is happening in the rest of the world. BTW, why include an entertainment channel, Fox News in the list of actual news sources? If you want fake news you should watch "The Daily Show."

Last edited:
Tvlman said:
BTW, why include an entertainment channel, Fox News in the list of actual news sources? If you want fake news you should watch "The Daily Show."

i think the original poster included it because it has been the number one ranked news channel for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)