FOX O&O to carry H&I

FOX usually wants to keep subs off the Fox station if possible (bandwidth issues). Thats why until KMSP/WFTC here in Minneapolis did their switch around (putting both FOX & MY in HD on RF29) most of the subs when added went to WFTC My29.

Thanks, gotcha

I need to add something to it. This only happens when the FOX is O&O and also owns the My affiliate in the market. Minneapolis is a unique situation as FOX was on VHF and My is on UHF so folks with indoor antennas have had issues. Thats why they put both FOX & MY in HD on RF29 (FOX is also still on RF9 too)

Look at DFW. FOX has nothing on it (FOX doesnt want to mess with bandwidth for the Cowboys) ;) so KDFI has My, Movies, Buzzr and H&I

Reactions: localclassictvfan
I need to add something to it. This only happens when the FOX is O&O and also owns the My affiliate in the market. Minneapolis is a unique situation as FOX was on VHF and My is on UHF so folks with indoor antennas have had issues. Thats why they put both FOX & MY in HD on RF29 (FOX is also still on RF9 too)

Look at DFW. FOX has nothing on it (FOX doesnt want to mess with bandwidth for the Cowboys) ;) so KDFI has My, Movies, Buzzr and H&I
Yep, same here in the LA market;

The FOX O&O KTTV-11 owns the My outlet KCOP-13 where it places all its secondary sub-channels, Buzzr (13-2), Movies! (13-3), and H&I (13-4), in addition to the main sub-channel 13-1 (My).

KTTV (FOX) also formally had a system of simulcasting their main and only sub-channel 11-1 in HD from that transmitter and SD versions of their main on KCOP (My) for better signal coverage due to its tower location further west, and KFTR-46 (TFT), a UHF station (RF29) for the benefit of indoor antennas. Both these were mapped as virtual 11-2 and 11-3 respectively.

The 11-2 slot is now the recently launched H&I mapped as virtual 13-4 and the virtual 11-3 simulcast has long been discontinued from KFTR. However Zap2It still hasn't cleaned up the mess originally created by this in their guide with 11-2 and 11-3 still listed in spite of my informing them multiple times now to remove them.

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mr Tony

Ok, good, I see the reasoning in doing what they did in both markets. Thanks

Yes, KICU 36-4 started transmitting H&I today, but it's not set up properly yet. The picture is too skinny... like 3:3. If you go to WIDE mode, the picture widens to 4:3. Picture quality looks good.
It's likely a 16:9 image anamorphically squeezed into a 4:3 frame. Which for a lot native 4:3 shows broadcast by H&I means a 4:3 picture pillar-boxed into 16:9, in turn anamorphically squeezed back into a 4:3 scan.

Happened here in LA when H&I first launched on the FOX O&O KCOP 13 on 13-4 some weeks ago. Called engineering at the parent station FOX O&O KTTV 11. Said they were still working with Weigel to correct the format and had it fixed over a following weekend.

Lot of stations have trouble correctly formatting 16:9 SD for some reason.

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts