Fox Sports 1

I see where the non sports fan is coming from I do...but are we led to believe that our bills would actually be reduced by no espn or fox sports...

If dish caved does anyone actually know how much the avg bill would go up

I already can hear people in feb blaming espn for dishs prices going up even though dish may already be planning to raise them

Sure rates will probably go up, as every channel has escalators in their contracts to automatically raise the price each year of their contract. Getting the Disney/ESPN channels in HD and FS1 will more than likely be the majority of any possible increases though.

If Charlie is smart, he will lock up a deal with Fox Sports 1 as soon as possible (Fox Sports 2 is already a done deal) and play that on the ESPN channel if they can't reach an agreement.

Next Big TV Fight Looms: Would Dish Drop ESPN?

Dish’s agreement with Disney for ESPN, other cable nets and ABC-owned stations, reached way back in 2005, is set to expire Sept. 30, 2013.
Charlie Ergen, Dish’s notoriously combative founder and chairman, said the satcaster is prepared to drop ESPN and other Disney networks if the companies can’t reach a deal.

“We’ll work first and foremost to find a deal with Disney that makes sense for our customers,” Ergen said on the company’s earnings call this week. “If we get that deal, we’ll do it. If we don’t get that deal, we’ll part ways — simple as that.”

On the call with Wall Street analysts Tuesday, Ergen made a case for how a pay TV operator might actually benefit in the long run by dropping ESPN.

http://variety.com/2013/biz/news/next-big-tv-fight-looms-would-dish-drop-espn-and-abc-1200576375/

Anytime a post starts out with 'If Charlie is smart...' I just gotta crack up laughing. If you had ever met Charlie or seen him in action you would have to crack up laughing at that too. Say what you will about the man but he is NOT stupid.

It's not just being smart, he has to be brave, because every Dish sports fanatic will be calling up crying about not having ESPN on for a couple of football games. Hell hath no fury like an NFL fan who cant view his precious games.

It's not just being smart, he has to be brave, because every Dish sports fanatic will be calling up crying about not having ESPN on for a couple of football games. Hell hath no fury like an NFL fan who cant view his precious games.

Do you know Charlie Ergen? Brave? LOL... Remember that Chinese rocket with Echostar 1 and no insurance?

Oh no sir Hell hath no fury if college football fans can't watch games. It's a way of life here in Columbus and in the South. Hell add all the Midwest to that too.

Oh by the way I haven't watched MTV in a decade but I pay for that and many channels I don't watch. It sucks but we all subsidize each others channels.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2

If Charlie is smart, he will lock up a deal with Fox Sports 1 as soon as possible (Fox Sports 2 is already a done deal) and play that on the ESPN channel if they can't reach an agreement.
If he was smart, he probably wouldn't do that. While I could live without ESPN, a ton of subs can't. And Fox Sports 1 is hardly a competitor... unless EPL football is your bag.

You taliking about the one they collected $41M on?

I'm talking about the first Dish Network satellite to launch was on a Chinese rocket which had blown up on the previous launch. And he had no launch insurance.

No I wont, Ill be calling up Directv like several other people would. Look, unfair or not Dish has the reputation for having carriage disputes. I hear this from family members that dont even keep up with this sort of thing, when I tell them I have Dish. The comment usually goes "arent they the ones always losing channels". The lawsuits and fights have become common enough where people expect it, so when ESPN goes, it just makes em look worse than they already do. In case you havent looked, they arent the low cost leader anymore. Leading in technology yes, low cost, no. And in doing all that fighting, and hurting their rep, they still didnt keep costs down.

You must have missed the news flash. Dish lost subscribers last quarter because of the constant price increases.

Dish has to say NO! to ESPN at least for several weeks or months. They will lose some subscribers in the short run, but in the long run they will get lots of new subscribers who like DTV's lower prices.

I have written to CEO of Dish demanding he not agree to any rate increases for ESPN. So should all of us.

You must have missed the news flash. Dish lost subscribers last quarter because of the constant price increases.
New Flash - DIRECTV lost customers too, in fact more than DISH.

Was the churn due to the rate increases both had? Hard to say.

Frankly I would be more worried due to a price increase from FOX than over ESPN at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Something tells me even if Dish drops ESPN rates aren't going to go down much. If they do they'll make it up in fee increases. That's what I heard happened during the so called "freeze". They still had fee increases.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2

Look, its a freaking joke and I cant take anyone seriously that thinks a couple of channels worth a few bucks are really causing their bill to be so high. Joke. I see people with one or more hoppers maybe a joey floating around (paying those hardware fees) and they keep crying about ESPN, give it a rest... Pay tv is a luxury, if you cant afford it, go another route.
My problem is that ESPN/Disney are the reason for the their price increases. The Networks are outbidding each other for the right to charge us more for something.

It isn't as if ESPN is asking for more money because it just costs more to broadcast these days. They are asking for more because they overbid for things like Monday Night Football, knowing that Sat/Cable companies would have to pay up. Sports are getting very expensive, not because sports are more expensive now, but broadcast companies are spending money like drunken sailors for the right to force us to pay more to watch the stuff..

I think they would lose more customers if they drop espn

Where as if they agreed and fees did go up...I dont think the loss of customers would be that much

My problem is that ESPN/Disney are the reason for the their price increases. The Networks are outbidding each other for the right to charge us more for something.

It isn't as if ESPN is asking for more money because it just costs more to broadcast these days. They are asking for more because they overbid for things like Monday Night Football, knowing that Sat/Cable companies would have to pay up. Sports are getting very expensive, not because sports are more expensive now, but broadcast companies are spending money like drunken sailors for the right to force us to pay more to watch the stuff..

And I care little because sports are a large part of my entertainment budget from Aug-January. I'm spending well over a $100 a month right now, another 80 cents for FS1 doesnt really bother me.

I think they would lose more customers if they drop espn

Where as if they agreed and fees did go up...I dont think the loss of customers would be that much
I think in the end Dish would hurt more, unless they really sweetened the pot for subs with the loss of ESPN, but it would be a relative thing. ESPN and Disney would definitely be hurting from the loss of subscriber fee revenue and then likely revenue loss from advertising. Both would lose.

And I care little because sports are a large part of my entertainment budget from Aug-January. I'm spending well over a $100 a month right now, another 80 cents for FS1 doesnt really bother me.
It really should bother you. FS1 is combining multiple channels into one channel (Speed, FSC). These channels combined don't cost as much as what Fox is asking for and with the loss of the EPL (in addition to Championship, Serie A, League Cup), the value of the channel is actually lower than what it would have been without the losses.

So for Fox to ask for more money for a channel with less value is absurd!

Dish has to say NO! to ESPN at least for several weeks or months. They will lose some subscribers in the short run, but in the long run they will get lots of new subscribers who like DTV's lower prices.

I have written to CEO of Dish demanding he not agree to any rate increases for ESPN. So should all of us.

You demand? I swear your posts make me LMAO.

FS2 doesn't need to be renegotiated because they are keeping the rates the same from Fuel to FS2 if the soft transition does happen on the 17th
If it isn't just a rename, it will have to be negotiated. The fact that the price is the same isn't a determining factor if the description of the product no longer applies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)