fox sports dispute

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
NYC was the trial balloon

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Yeah, it sure was.

I don’t know if that was a win or loss for Dish in the NY DMA.

Directv penetration is at an all time high, and Dish is non existent there.

I remember selling to that area when I sold dish. We would have to ask the right questions, because if you sold to a Yankees fan, you could guarantee an instant cancellation after it was installed.

You really believe that?

Ha ha NO

The best you can see is that they will announce no price increases because they saved money due to Fox sports.

Dish decrease prices? NEVER!
Dish did decrease the price of every Latino package during the Univision dispute, only to reverse that decrease when Univision returned. For many of those packages, that meant a net increase of $0, comparing the pre-dispute price to the post-dispute price, although a few of the more popular Latino packages did have a small increase (marketed as a smaller decrease than the other packages during the dispute). Also, the price of America's Everything Pack has decreased significantly without HBO and Cinemax being included. It should work the same way for the Fox Sports Nets. Although in this case, Dish may have to abandon a national rate card and go with regional pricing, at least until the remaining RSN contracts expire.

Dish did decrease the price of every Latino package during the Univision dispute, only to reverse that decrease when Univision returned. For many of those packages, that meant a net increase of $0, comparing the pre-dispute price to the post-dispute price, although a few of the more popular Latino packages did have a small increase (marketed as a smaller decrease than the other packages during the dispute). Also, the price of America's Everything Pack has decreased significantly without HBO and Cinemax being included. It should work the same way for the Fox Sports Nets. Although in this case, Dish may have to abandon a national rate card and go with regional pricing, at least until the remaining RSN contracts expire.
I disagree only based on it being an absolute fail for Directv when they did that.

I'm betting that the dispute isn't primarily about price. It's probably about maintaining the optional action packs for the flex pack, and maybe allowing the main packs to be able to drop them like we can do with locals.

Reactions: pattykay
I disagree only based on it being an absolute fail for Directv when they did that.
The alternative would be an across-the-board price cut for all packages. That would certainly be fair, since to some extent every subscriber is subsidizing the cost of these sports networks as part of the price of the basic package, whether we actually receive the channels as part of the package or not. (At least, that explanation would help explain the rapid escalation of the Welcome Pack price in recent years, despite that package not having any RSN's.)

Reactions: HipKat
I think we may disagree on the term fair in the free market.
In the free market, the fair price would be whatever price can be negotiated between each individual subscriber and their service provider. If you do not ask for a discount, you will not get the discount. And on that, I think we both can agree. :cool:

In the free market, the fair price would be whatever price can be negotiated between each individual subscriber and their service provider. If you do not ask for a discount, you will not get the discount. And on that, I think we both can agree. :cool:
In a free market... the fair price would be what the market is willing to pay. As posted above, there is neither fair or unfair, just what the market is willing to pay. To continue charging what dish charges, is not unfair, and thus to charge something else cannot make it fair...
my original point is charging independent regional charges makes people uneasy. There are still people complaining about paying more for locals, and how every other company includes the charge in their package... Dish should have left it a single price with the option to drop the locals, but they probably were thinking what most of us SG guys think... that would be stupid and a lot of extra work. I think we can all agree the average consumer is stupid.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
In a free market... the fair price would be what the market is willing to pay. As posted above, there is neither fair or unfair, just what the market is willing to pay. To continue charging what dish charges, is not unfair, and thus to charge something else cannot make it fair...
my original point is charging independent regional charges makes people uneasy. There are still people complaining about paying more for locals, and how every other company includes the charge in their package... Dish should have left it a single price with the option to drop the locals, but they probably were thinking what most of us SG guys think... that would be stupid and a lot of extra work. I think we can all agree the average consumer is stupid.
I think I get what you are saying. Another example of this would be how in the fine print on the Dish bill, it says that there is a taxable Receiver Lease Fee for the first receiver included in the base package price. However, there is no way to eliminate this lease fee (and reduce the base package price) by purchasing the receiver. So, even subscribers who are not leasing a receiver are still paying a lease fee. The advantage of the purchased receiver would be that in certain states, the tax on the lease fee would not apply to that portion of the bill, which can save a little bit of money. However, that would also cost more money up front by purchasing the receiver, but at least subscribers have that option.

I think I get what you are saying. Another example of this would be how in the fine print on the Dish bill, it says that there is a taxable Receiver Lease Fee for the first receiver included in the base package price. However, there is no way to eliminate this lease fee (and reduce the base package price) by purchasing the receiver. So, even subscribers who are not leasing a receiver are still paying a lease fee. The advantage of the purchased receiver would be that in certain states, the tax on the lease fee would not apply to that portion of the bill, which can save a little bit of money. However, that would also cost more money up front by purchasing the receiver, but at least subscribers have that option.

I did that. I bought my receivers on Ebay or through local retailers and avoided the lease fee/tax.

That sounds more like a state by state tax code, which Dish wouldn’t be in control of. That would be the opposite of free market(unfortunately, I am of the few that deem most taxes as legal theft... I won’t go into detail as it is more in-line with the pit).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts