Fox v. Cablevision: STAGGERING increases!

is it a rate hike? a requirement for a lower tier, thuse more viewers and more money?
both?

is it a rate hike? a requirement for a lower tier, thuse more viewers and more money?
both?

Let's look at just retransmission rights for the New York News Corp stations, because it's simple.

"In his report, Joyce estimated that Cablevision pays about $8.6 million a year for WNYW-TV and WWOR-TV in New York, and that News Corp. is now seeking $34 million a year."

I assume every Cablevision subscriber gets those stations. So this translates to just less than a 400% increase, just for those two local stations.

There's nothing fancy about that. It's just a money grab. No increase in value to the subscriber. Just more money. There's no other way to nuance it.

Holy garbanzo beans, Batman. The rate increases are beyond ridiculous. In addition to two stations above News Corp is seeking the following current - extensions:

Fox Business Network current pays $3.7 million a year for - seeking $18.4 million (500%)
National Geographic Wild at $2.9 million - seeking $14.7 million (507%)
Fox Deportes at $500,000 - seeking $2.3 million (460%)

No provider would agree to those increases. It is almost like News Corp wants to close their broadcast business and tell the board it was Cablevision, Dish, Direc,...that killed them.

I read on HD report that FX is making about $1.3 billion a year in profit and that approximately $700 million is from retransmission fees and more importantly, thay plan to use retransmission fees as a driving force for profits in the future. At some point this has got to stop. I understand making profits, that's capitalism, but at some point a line must be drawn.

As bad as I hate to say it, I believe that it is time for the FCC to get involved. I realize that everything that the government touches gets screwed up, but I don't know if they could screw up this re-trans mess any more than it already is.

I hope dish pulls all of fox offerings. I know dish will see a Hugh increase in it's sub base as their is at least 1 to 3 million folks who would like to see newscorp go under and will switch to dish.

I hope dish pulls all of fox offerings. I know dish will see a Hugh increase in it's sub base as their is at least 1 to 3 million folks who would like to see newscorp go under and will switch to dish.

i dont want fox to leave dish direct tv or any cable company.if they should leave then cnn and msnbc should leave all companies too.if fox leaves dish i see alot of people leaving dish for dorect tv or cable companies:)

i dont want fox to leave dish direct tv or any cable company.if they should leave then cnn and msnbc should leave all companies too.if fox leaves dish i see alot of people leaving dish for dorect tv or cable companies:)

First of all fox news is not going anywhere I wish they would leave dish. fox dish for the most part is a give away by murdoich that is why all providers have fox news on their basic tier.
fox news also gives away the big screen tv and news feed to a lot of truck stops and restaurant which helps in bringing up fox news ratings

fox news is very profitable because of what they do to increase their viewership thus letting them charge top dollars for the ads they get.

I was just wishing that fox news was part of the dispute, but in real life it will never be and will continue to be given to providers for next to nothing.

They won't leave for Cablevision, or they'll be in for a rude awakening if they left because of local Fox affiliates.

Time Warner and Cablevision seem ready to play hardball, too. It's not just Dish.

First of all fox news is not going anywhere I wish they would leave dish. fox dish for the most part is a give away by murdoich that is why all providers have fox news on their basic tier.
fox news also gives away the big screen tv and news feed to a lot of truck stops and restaurant which helps in bringing up fox news ratings

fox news is very profitable because of what they do to increase their viewership thus letting them charge top dollars for the ads they get.

I was just wishing that fox news was part of the dispute, but in real life it will never be and will continue to be given to providers for next to nothing.

Thats not true. In the beginning Fox News was given away for free to cable and DBS systems. Its now the second most expensive channel that doesn't carry sports that there is (behind Disney).

http://mediamemo.allthingsd.com/files/2010/03/cable-sub-fees.png

Dish should drop all the Fox channels and end negotiations. Who needs Murdocks bull sh*t!

I watch 6 Fox primetime programs and can live without any of them.

It's sad that it takes a second provider to make people stop blaming Charlie, but I am glad this illuminated the situation for some.

If Dish would put out the numbers like cablevision did, people might have more sympathy. It was just Dish saying X and Fox saying Y with no way to compare what the number used to be.

If Dish would put out the numbers like cablevision did, people might have more sympathy. It was just Dish saying X and Fox saying Y with no way to compare what the number used to be.

True, but that also shows Dish was trying to take a high road and actually work the situation out.

What Fox wants is ridiculous. I'd rather not have them.

I'm all for Dish trying to break them down! If Fox really wants that much money to renew SCREW THEM!

I'll do without them just fine. It's hard enough paying bills, without huge increases simply for tv.

There's always torrents, and hulu, etc, etc....

Leave it to someone from the Left coast to go political :). The 1-3 mil, already have cnn, msnbc don't they?

To get back on point, just like pro athletes and actors demanding a certain amount (to what the market is willing to bear), FOX is doing the same. FOX may think that if they can get a couple providers to cave, others will follow...but if none do, they need to reduce the price or close the channel(s).

Being an absoluteHD sub, it didn't effect me that much...though I do catch FOX news on the road.:cool:

I say GO CABLEVISION!!

It seems Cablevision has close to 5 million subs in the NYC area. How many does Dish have? Add the 2 together then come November 1st, Fox will surely be hurting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts