Fox v. Cablevision: STAGGERING increases!

Let's look at just retransmission rights for the New York News Corp stations, because it's simple.

"In his report, Joyce estimated that Cablevision pays about $8.6 million a year for WNYW-TV and WWOR-TV in New York, and that News Corp. is now seeking $34 million a year."

I assume every Cablevision subscriber gets those stations. So this translates to just less than a 400% increase, just for those two local stations.

There's nothing fancy about that. It's just a money grab. No increase in value to the subscriber. Just more money. There's no other way to nuance it.

I've said this so many times, and in so many ways, I'm a broken record. HOW CAN NEWS CORP. CHARGE ANY CARRIER A RE-TRANSMISSION FEE FOR A FREE SERVICE? The FCC and the department of justice should be investigating all of these re-transmission fees for all local broadcast stations in their markets. I shouldn't have to pay a penny for any channel that I can receive on an OTA antenna.

to make it clear. Dish Network isn't trying to break Fox. they aren't trying to screw fox over. What they are trying to do is protect their margins with a very good understanding of what this market is like. Dish knows that their revenues will be negatively impacted by accepting Fox's requirements without some sort of adjustment being made. Fox is under some impression that they can demand whatever they want and they are finding that not every company is willing to bend over and take it in the shorts.

Note that while these channels are off the air, Fox is not able to collect their retransmission fees. Yeah! I hope they choke on the dry sucking sound the lack of the checks make.

Don't forget, Cablevision hates Dish Network too. So don't count on a bond there.

Cable Vision is owned by Rainbow Media, the Former Voom Television owner.

Rainbow Media Hates Charles Ergen

Don't forget, Cablevision hates Dish Network too. So don't count on a bond there.

Cable Vision is owned by Rainbow Media, the Former Voom Television owner.

Rainbow Media Hates Charles Ergen

This is part of the reason Dish does not have MSG and MSG+ at the moment. Cablevision owns MSG and they are looking for staggering rate hikes from Dish along with the carriage of Fuse.

I am still waiting for my brother in law to ask me whats going on here. He has Cablevision and hasn't even noticed the channels are gone yet.

I've said this so many times, and in so many ways, I'm a broken record. HOW CAN NEWS CORP. CHARGE ANY CARRIER A RE-TRANSMISSION FEE FOR A FREE SERVICE? The FCC and the department of justice should be investigating all of these re-transmission fees for all local broadcast stations in their markets. I shouldn't have to pay a penny for any channel that I can receive on an OTA antenna.
You shouldn't? I don't think you pay for channels. Don't you pay for packages of channels?

Get a load of this crap. Glad there isn't anyway they can pull this crap with us.

hulu-screenshot.png

News Corp pulls its Hulu content from Cablevision customers, escalating carriage dispute (update) -- Engadget

That was a dummy move. From what I read later in the day, they removed that block, as some of the Cablevision internet subscribers use other TV services. Fox is doing all the right things to look like the villain here. I know the things that they have done with Cablevision have put me more on Charlie's side than I already was. I put up my OTA system years ago and I love it. I like the extra tuners and since I use my Xbox's so much for playing all my H.264 video, I have really been thinking about putting a tuner card in my PC, and just letting it record the networks for me.

I have Direct and Comcast too, but I think one or both of them will go away in December, when they do next year's media buy... That's one of the reasons I have kept my Dish. It's only 39.99 a month (AT120FreeHD/722K/OTA Module)

I just finnished watching the Giants - Phillies game. Obviously I am not a Cablevision subscriber. I watched it OTA on WOLF channel 56 from Scranton, PA. I noticed DirecTV is a proud sponsor. Shame on them!!

Even though I can still watch the games on WNYW Fox 5 from New York City via Dish Network, I WILL NOT!!

Go to HELL Fox and I hope you never see another exclusive major league contract of any kind ever again! My condolences go out to all the Phillies fans affected by this dumb $h*T!

P.S. I am a Met fan.
Why? DirecTV sponsoring baseball is nothing new. They have been doing so for years, and for other sports as well. Their sponsorship of the playoffs through MLB has nothing to do with the Fox dispute

In my opinion, I'm in it for the long run. The only thing I watch on Fox is Sunday NFL. If Charlie loses the Fox Stations, he should turn on Sunday NFL Redzone for his subscribers. The money he is saving from not paying Fox, could be used to make NFL Redzone available to NFL fans on DN.

If they pull the Fox Dallas Local stations, I will simply move to Tulsa since I am in both spotbeams. I hate the arguement that people are making on here that, "Dish should just lose all the Fox networks because I don't watch such and such." It's not all about you and what you watch. I actually couldn't care less about losing Fox for the sports aspect. But half of my favorite shows I watch come from Fox. The whole Sunday night cartoon lineup (Simpsons, Family Guy, Cleveland Show, American Dad), House, Lie To Me, Fringe, Chase, Cops, America's Most Wanted. So yeah, I will be missing out on almost all of my favorite shows. Does this mean I think that Dish should be agreeing to an increase like Cablevision's 8-$34 million? Hell no. That rate increase alone would add how much to our already ridiculous bills we pay for TV? Just 10 years ago people would think that a $100 a month TV bill would be almost out of the question. Now we all pay it and don't even blink an eye. Fact is they are all crooks. Dish wants everything for next to nothing and charge a bunch for it, while the networks want a king's ransom and don't care how much the providers would have to charge for it. What is the common sting here? Screw the public!

Not really sure how this works, but if Dish decides not to pay Fox's ransom, will that in turn pass on Fox's lost revenue from Dish to subs of other providers making their bill go up?

I want NatGeo back but I'm with Dish on this one.

Guess it is a matter of which (b)(m)illionaire you like least, Rupert or Charlie. As for me, I will stick with DISH, based on the excessive rate Fox wants. Have to agree with bobvick, time for FCC to wade into this, it is like usury fees.

I'm not a fan of Rupert & his brown shirt politics. The solution is simple; pay Rupert's vig & put all the News corp channels in a higher tier. Let us dish customers decide if we want to pay extra for their programming. Markets do work! We have that option with HBO & Showtime. I know it's probably a little more complicated than that with existing agreements. I would also like to thank Dish for adding HDNET movies in place of FX while the negotiations are on going.

I'm not a fan of Rupert & his brown shirt politics. The solution is simple; pay Rupert's vig & put all the News corp channels in a higher tier. Let us dish customers decide if we want to pay extra for their programming. Markets do work! We have that option with HBO & Showtime. I know it's probably a little more complicated than that with existing agreements. I would also like to thank Dish for adding HDNET movies in place of FX while the negotiations are on going.

I am sure dish would have no problem creating a Fox tier. It is Fox that doesn't want that. They want more money and to force more stuff into the lower package (AT120), which would make them have to raise the rate. Plus, if Fox were a standalone tier, they wouldn't get x amount per potential subscriber, they would only get the money from the subscribers who paid for it. They would make far less money, because many wouldn't take it. I am already in a package without FX and without RSN's. I don't want that crap.

If they pull the Fox Dallas Local stations, I will simply move to Tulsa since I am in both spotbeams. I hate the arguement that people are making on here that, "Dish should just lose all the Fox networks because I don't watch such and such." It's not all about you and what you watch. I actually couldn't care less about losing Fox for the sports aspect. But half of my favorite shows I watch come from Fox. The whole Sunday night cartoon lineup (Simpsons, Family Guy, Cleveland Show, American Dad), House, Lie To Me, Fringe, Chase, Cops, America's Most Wanted. So yeah, I will be missing out on almost all of my favorite shows. Does this mean I think that Dish should be agreeing to an increase like Cablevision's 8-$34 million? Hell no. That rate increase alone would add how much to our already ridiculous bills we pay for TV? Just 10 years ago people would think that a $100 a month TV bill would be almost out of the question. Now we all pay it and don't even blink an eye. Fact is they are all crooks. Dish wants everything for next to nothing and charge a bunch for it, while the networks want a king's ransom and don't care how much the providers would have to charge for it. What is the common sting here? Screw the public!

I moved all my Fox timers to OTA.

I would make manual timers for those. I have said this before, maybe Dish will be different this time, but when one of our locals got pulled ayear or so ago, the guide data went with it. It was replaced with " important news! press info" in the guide and banner just like the pulled RSN's have now.

It seems to me that alot of this may have to do with the huge amont of money that Fox pays out to the NFL and MLB. These organizations keep uping the ante on yearly broadcasts. Correct me if I am wrong but with the upcoming demise of the NFL in 2011 it would seem that they are just trying to pad their pockets for any future lockouts. Every business deserves an increase every year to cover their increases they get from outside sources but 400-500% is a bit like extortion. Just like pro atheletes no one is worth that kind of money. This insanity has to stop and people have to get stand together or management will win.

It seems to me that alot of this may have to do with the huge amount of money that Fox pays out to the NFL and MLB. These organizations keep upping the ante on yearly broadcasts. Correct me if I am wrong but with the upcoming demise of the NFL in 2011 it would seem that they are just trying to pad their pockets for any future lockouts. Every business deserves an increase every year to cover their increases they get from outside sources but 400-500% is a bit like extortion. Just like pro athletes no one is worth that kind of money. This insanity has to stop and people have to get stand together or management will win.

If they can get sports fans to cover the bill that would be one thing. But, when they try to cover the bill by putting high fees on everyone who wants satellite or cable, it is a different thing. I hope both Dish and Cablevision stick this one out. I would like to see more contracts expire too, so that more providers join in this. If a couple more large cable companies were to join in, Fox's ratings would drop so far that they would lose all their ad revenue.

I am sure dish would have no problem creating a Fox tier. It is Fox that doesn't want that. They want more money and to force more stuff into the lower package (AT120), which would make them have to raise the rate. Plus, if Fox were a standalone tier, they wouldn't get x amount per potential subscriber, they would only get the money from the subscribers who paid for it. They would make far less money, because many wouldn't take it. I am already in a package without FX and without RSN's. I don't want that crap.

Fox was one of the first services to go on c band back in the day since they wanted so much. After NPS dropped them the package price actually went down. All these program providers are making it more difficult to with their demands and the subscriber ends up loosing one way or the other. I say we need alacart or a pick 10 service package like still is on c band. Screw these programmers and providers with their demands.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts