Free Genie Upgrade..

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

JerseyMatt

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 17, 2010
Midwest
Got an email offering me a free Genie if I re-up my contract.. Basically what I would want to do is put that in place of one of my regular HD receivers and keep the two HR-24's to give me 9 recording tuners (10 total).. In this case would they give me the SWM16 that I would now need in this situation or would they make me pay for it? Or would they make me drop one or both of the HR24's?

They will pay for all necessary switches, etc.

It's somewhat regionally dependent. Some areas simply don't have the HR44 available yet.

Sweet.. Thanks. Are they still doing HR34s or have they been sold through to the 44's?

Still have 34's in some markets so its a draw at this point. Directv isn't letting markets with 34's swap them out for 44's now either. We've been told if the customer has a 34 it MUST be swapped for a 34 and same with the 44. If the same model isn't available then it can be swapped for the other. So yes, a 44 CAN be swapped out for a 34 if a 44 isn't available, which kinda sucks IMO

I got Directv installed today after being on Comcast for the last several years. I got a genie with 2 wireless genie minis. Apparently I'm in a wireless test market. The installer said I was the first install he's ever done for the wireless genie mini. So far the wireless units seem to be working fine. It took him a little while to get them properly registered with the wireless unit but I'm sure it would've taken a lot longer to run wire into the upstairs bedroom of my 70 year old house. The two wireless units are approximately 16' and 20' away from the base station and indicate full signal strength. The only difference I can tell between the wireless unit and the main genie is that the interface is slightly slower. But not too bad. Since they are secondary TVs I can live with it.

Time will tell how they work over the long run.

As for the Genie, its awesome. The SA based Comcast HD-DVR was so buggy and ancient I couldn't tolerate it any longer.

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE using Tapatalk 2

I'm not sure what dish I have, but I do have whole home service. Does that mean I can get the Genie without a new dish? I've had my service since 09/2007. So I'm not sure what dish was installed at that time, but I know the DTV guy had to add some parts to it when I got my whole home service last year. Only 1 coaxial is connected to my HR24.

You are all set for a Genie with the dish you already have. It's possible they may need to change the lnb on the dish, or add a different splitter or switch.

ok. thanks. I have 2 HR24s, one in the living room and 1 in the bedroom. My secondary bedroom does not have a cable outlet. I guess if I get the Genie for the living room, I should keep 1 HR 24 and then be able to record 7 shows? I don't think I have that many tuners on my dish.

You likely have one cable from the dish, which means you have a swm lnb. That means you are limited to eight tuners unless you get a standard lnb and a swm multiswitch. That allows for up to 16 tuners, but they would have to run three more lines to your house. You could get the Genie, keep one of the HR24s and swap the other one for an hd receiver. That would keep you at eight tuners.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts