Free HD for Life?

I'm trying to figure out how this will affect the Dish America Silver with locals package. I am currently paying $44.99 for this package. Will it save me money to switch to the 120 package with the Free HD? I do see some advantage of having the 120 package because there are some SD channels such as ESPNU that I would enjoy having, although I will also be losing some HD channels that the Dish America Silver package has that the 120 package does not have. Right now, I am just trying to get the best bang for my buck.

This is from a Dish Network Retailer email from our distributor today:

Existing Customer Accounts Already Subscribing to the $10/mo. “HD & Platinum” Add-on Before June 3, 2010 – Existing customers who were subscribing to the $10/mo. “HD & Platinum” package prior to June 3, 2010, will be automatically grandfathered into “HD Free for Life” without being required to enter into a 24-month “HD Free for Life” commitment OR pay the $99 HD Programming Upgrade Fee. These customers will experience no price change due to their participation in this offer; they will receive “HD Free for Life” for the life of their account and will be charged for the $10/mo. HDPlatinum add-on package.

Existing Customer Accounts NOT Subscribing to the $10.mo. “HD & Platinum” Add-on Package Before June 3, 2010 – Existing customers who were NOT subscribing to the $10/mo. “HD & Platinum” package prior to June 3, 2010 may choose to participate in “HD Free for Life” by logging into their online customer account (or creating an online account if they do not have one yet) and selecting the “HD Free for Life” option, which will be indicated.
After selecting the “HD Free for Life” offer, customers may choose either the 24-month “HD Free for Life” commitment and accept the terms of the agreement within the online form, as well as set up Credit Card AutoPay AND Paperless Billing if they are not set up with them yet –OR– the $99 HD Programming Upgrade Fee and provide a credit card number for this charge (also within the online form).

I am guessing that existing customers who were subscribing to the $10/mo. “HD & Platinum”, and are grandfathered into “HD Free for Life”, who then decide to cancel the Platinum portion to enjoy the free HD will be charge a $5 fee for downgrading?

I am guessing that existing customers who were subscribing to the $10/mo. “HD & Platinum”, and are grandfathered into “HD Free for Life”, who then decide to cancel the Platinum portion to enjoy the free HD will be charge a $5 fee for downgrading?

Yes. See my downgrade fee thread.

Yes. See my downgrade fee thread.

Thanks YAZ96, I know that the fee has always been there for downgrading, and now with the no waiver as you mention in the tread; But my penny a year for Cinemax, and yes even my Voom pack had no fee as such.

It’s the reason that with this HD grandfather clause for existing customers, and with the Platinum pack at the time being a free add on to the HD pack, I was just wondering (hoping). Thanks again :)

YIPPE! Thanks for sharing!!

That is GREAT news!!!
Glad I changed mine a couple of weeks ago.

I called and canceled my Platinum (I was paying $10 + $10) and the very next day they added EPIX. A few days later I decided that the addition of Epix made the tier worth $10 again, but when they tried to add the Platinum back it became HD + HD Platinum for free = $10) My guess is that that was the only configuration available to the CSR, so, all-in-all, my two phone calls not only saved me $10/month...but has now got me grandfathered.

Who'd a thought I'd be happy being a Grandfather!

I wonder how this will affect "Turbo" Dish America HD customers. Palladia and HD Theater going away to platinum only (a package we can't add!). Its bad enough they are adding allt hese channels and then don't add them to the Turbo packages (what Sd channel is hallmark packaged with that won't allow it in an HD only atmosphere? Hallmark Movie is in Gold so what is the issue! Or what about Turner Classic movies for that matter!!!).

I must give kudos to Dish if they are going to give this to all the people that already have HD+PLAT for $10+CC autopay without strings attached. For once it is nice to not have to pay for a new feature.

So if I switch to AT120 plus HD plat now, then get grandfathered in, can I drop the platinum and still have freee hd w/o the $99 fee, 2 yr commitment or anything other than the $5 downgrade fee that month?

Service Date(s)
Detailed Activity
Previous Balance

$ 82.67
Apr 30 Payment - Thank You -82.97
$ -0.30
Monthly Charges
May 26 - Jun 25 SilverHD 10.00
America's Top 200 With Locals 52.99
DVR Service 6.00
HD Duo Receiver 14.00
$ 82.99
Other Charges and Credits
May 03 Receiver Credit 4 of 6 -5.00
Taxes
May 11 State/Local Tax (Sales/Gross Receipts) 4.68

Total Due by May 31, 2010 $ 82.37

This is my bill. Is the $10 fee for silver HD right, or is there a cheaper way to do this. Will I be eligible for the HD for free? I have one 722, and one 222k.

Last edited:
I currently already have credit card auto pay and the HD + Platinum plan with my America's top 200 with Locals plus the standard receiver and DVR fees.

Let's see if I have this right, my America's Top 200 with locals is currently $52.99 and that is going up $2 to $54.99 a month (wipes out my $2 a month loyalty credit that goes away in June) and because I already have the HD + Platinum plan with credit card auto pay, beginning in June I'll get all of the HD versions of the channels in the America's Top 200 for free and but will need to pay $10 a month for the Platinum HD plan. Does this sound right?

After June 3rd, if I cancel the Platinum HD plan, I'll still get all of the HD channels in the America's Top 200 package and will save $10 a month (will have to pay a one-time $5 downgrade fee). Does this sound right?

As of June 3rd, what channels will be in the Platinum HD package?

So if I switch to AT120 plus HD plat now, then get grandfathered in, can I drop the platinum and still have freee hd w/o the $99 fee, 2 yr commitment or anything other than the $5 downgrade fee that month?

This is the same question that I have, I am really thinking about calling up and switching to AT120 plus HD plat if I can get grandfathered in and not have to sign a commitment.

This is the same question that I have, I am really thinking about calling up and switching to AT120 plus HD plat if I can get grandfathered in and not have to sign a commitment.

The problem that could present itself is this:

If you get HD/Platinum now, it may be considered ONE add-on. After June 3rd, E* may not let you drop Platinum without also dropping HD, since it may be considered ONE pac. IF, this scenario holds true, then E* will still get their $99 or 24 mo. committment out of you, for the Free HD for life gig.

I hope that what I just said isn't true, but certainly falls into the realm of possibility.

DISH lives by the motto "Keep the customer confused." Their billing practices are as bad as the phone company's. I'll bet if satellite tv had been around back when they first started broadcasting in color, DISH would have charged you an additional fee for that too, plus charge you $100 to upgrade to a color-capable receiver. HDTV has become one big rip-off industry regardless of provider.

I must give kudos to Dish if they are going to give this to all the people that already have HD+PLAT for $10+CC autopay without strings attached. For once it is nice to not have to pay for a new feature.

HD with a regular package is not a new feature. The only thing new is that they are going to start charging $10 extra for for the ND that is now included in the package regular price.

The problem that could present itself is this:

If you get HD/Platinum now, it may be considered ONE add-on. After June 3rd, E* may not let you drop Platinum without also dropping HD, since it may be considered ONE pac. IF, this scenario holds true, then E* will still get their $99 or 24 mo. committment out of you, for the Free HD for life gig.

I hope that what I just said isn't true, but certainly falls into the realm of possibility.

I guess we just won't know till after June 3rd then, I might just try it anyway. If I do decide to switch, they will charge me $15 for changing my dish to EA right? I've got 110, 119 and 61.5 now.

Last edited:
Be careful. Dish has a really limited view of what the words "unlimited" "forever" and "all" means.
The new packages and promotions may sound good, but judging by dish's past activities with customers? Your going to regrete switching if you have a good programing package already.

Be very weary of dish's promotions.

Be careful. Dish has a really limited view of what the words "unlimited" "forever" and "all" means.
The new packages and promotions may sound good, but judging by dish's past activities with customers? Your going to regrete switching if you have a good programing package already.

Be very weary of dish's promotions.

This is very true! I am still deciding what to do. I don't necessarily love the package I'm in now, but it's cheap and that's good for my current situation. So I was just trying to see if I could get more bang for my buck.