Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
You 4DTV guys might like this... How would you like to update your own maps on your 4DTV without sending some guy $400 for doing it for you?

Check this out... https://sites.google.com/site/4dtvmapmaster/map-master-zip-files

In checking around on this it looks like this is a new community project and since we have some of the best minds in satellite television here at SatelliteGuys this is one I would love to see our members jump into and see where they can go with it.

So have at it and lets see what we can do with it. :)

This is a Goldmine of information for the ardent 4DTV lovers! I never got around to playing with 4DTV.

I was able to remap all of my receivers no problem with this and much thanks to those who released this program. I was also able to add a few channels to the mostly complete maps that were provided.

Now I don't know what this program does, or if you can edit maps yourself but if our members start generating their own maps I would be more then willing to create a new forum that you must be logged in to see so that way other members can download the improved maps (and also we keep the web crawlers out.)

If we need this let me know! :)

Whoa.... I saw "Free Map Master" authored by Scott & it sparked recent 4DTV memories in here, and made me.....:behindsofa:......:eek: but this looks cool! :D

Wow very cool!!!

lets see:
some new map tiles in the new mappings here:
IMG_0822.jpg

IMG_0819.jpg

Limited guide info:
IMG_0799.jpg

Low TDT count

IMG_06733.jpg

Not too shabby!

Now I don't know what this program does, or if you can edit maps yourself but if our members start generating their own maps I would be more then willing to create a new forum that you must be logged in to see so that way other members can download the improved maps (and also we keep the web crawlers out.)

If we need this let me know! :)

There is a Linux and Windows version of the program, so you can run it on most any computer (except a MAC). The basic mode of operation allow two different map commands. One is "reload" that does not add any new features to your maps, but cleans them up by removing duplicates and unused entries within the tables. The other is "load master maps" which will completely replace your current maps with an entire new set. This is the mode you would use to load one of the map sets that are provided with the program. The other command that is provide is to dump the combined maps from your binary. You would do that first to dump your current maps. The maps are just text files. Then with an editor, you can edit the actuator positions of each satellite in the new map set to save yourself from having to reprogram then in.

The program also has an option to enable "Extras Mode" that will allow you to get into trouble faster if you want. It enables two menu items for additional commands. One is "edit" that has commands to add/delete/replace/modify map entries. A second menu item is "tools". The tool commands will allow you to dump the nvram in a side by side hex/ascii format. Another will do a compare between two binary nvram files and output differences. Another is a hex patch utility to modify any location in nvram. There are four commands to dump the internal map tables. One dumps them all, another, just the allocated, a third is the combined maps, the last is the internal table lists. There are a lot of things to play with and I know once you have the capability to write your own maps, you will not be able to let it alone. I am sure you will have to "play" with it.

My my my! How times have changed. I have a feeling somebody must be fuming. I know a while back i said i didn't think my 4DTV was worth the cost of the BDM cable and shortly after i was falsely accused of being a Dish employee, among other things. None of which are true? I guess some still believe in black helicopters. But, anyways i'll be on the lookout for a cheap BDM cable as this looks like fun!!!

Should be fun to learn! Have another 4D on the way as we speak, having sold mine and gone to the DSR-410! (which was then also sent to a new home of late.....) Glad to be able to "play" again....

Guess I'd better get the stationary Birdview all ready for surfing the sky again! (its been parked on FTA's music channels.)

I had given up on 4dtv because of the high cost and long wait of remapping but now I have a whole new interest. This is something I might try and do myself.

Yup lots of rumors going around, which makes me laugh because come to find out I was correct about a certain someone all along.

Now others have figured out that I was correct. And now that person is not part of the Map Master Project anymore.

But lets leave it as that and continue on this project which I always felt was a interesting project. :)

Carry on and welcome home to SatelliteGuys. :D

Without sounding like the forum idiot, would someone please explain what 4DTV and these master maps do? I thought the 4DTV receivers (dsr 410, 920 and 922) were only good for HITS with the exception of a few music channels.

Cheers, K

Back when they (Motorola) eliminated the remapping VIA satellite there was a conversion that turned most of the 4dtv units into one satellite boxes with no dish moving ability and only subscription access. There are other satellites that have a few free DC2 channels throughout the arc. With the remapping utility you will be able to tune in most of the free channels (they come and go) along with being able to move your C-Band dish with the receiver. With a full set of maps you should be able to move the dish from about 43W to 139W or so. Even if there wasn't any DC2 channels available you could still run a DVB-S2 receiver off the 4dtv to get those channels on each bird with a click of the remote. There are also a handful of analog channels that can be viewed with the 4dtv.

it should be noted that I moved this thread into the Map Master Forum, meaning it is safe to talk about thinkg that you dont want search bots to index. :)

Have fun!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)