FreeDBS.....................

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I wouldn't mind seeing that -- comments at other sites indicate that the Manhattan has manual PID entry in the menus.

I wouldn't mind seeing that -- comments at other sites indicate that the Manhattan has manual PID entry in the menus.

Yeah, manual pid entry for the Openbox would be great, more flexible scan parameters would also be nice. I don't know what is involved but unless it is difficult and/or expensive I would be surprised if they didn't protect the Manhattan fw.

Then you could start your own FreeDBS service from the ground up and probably still be uplinking first ;) ...

Lets see...they said 20 channels

well I got 20 analog receivers I could get going again...and since its suppose to be free the VC2 boards I ripped out wouldnt be needed maybe you're right ;)

attachment.php

rv1pop said:
Should FreeDBS.... threads be in the politics/religious forum? This sounds like a very strange 'faith' (Note small "f") cult! Or more like political promises!

how long did we wait for the manhattan reciever or a prof blindscan solution or an update to the dvbworld blindscan app??? its the nature of the hobby and we still discuss those topics on this forum. what right do people have to bitch about a free service. did it cost anyone anything but patience so far??? im rooting for it to succeed so all you whiners will have to eat your words.

crackt out,.

rv1pop said:
Sorry, crackt, if you missed my humor. I am watching for it also, and have a dish waiting, but have been hearing some weird stuff that comes from the "netherland" as we call them.

However, the politicians make promises that ...........

I think this will once again be fodder for some humorous discussion, much like last time. Nothing else will come of it but here's to another 1200 posts! LOL :D

Sent from my DROIDX using SatelliteGuys

Ice,

What the H..... are you doing with all that, running your own cable head end!!
nah. Picked them up from somebody. They'll probably have some more later on :)
Anole asked me why I'd pick them up and the answer was simple...they were FREE ;)

We just need to ignore them long enough for them to go away.

I think this will once again be fodder for some humorous discussion, much like last time. Nothing else will come of it but here's to another 1200 posts! LOL :D

Sent from my DROIDX using SatelliteGuys

what right do people have to bitch about a free service.

I think people here are not complaining about a free service, because there is no service to begin with. People here are complaining about a promised service that will never happen.
The FreeDBS guys have been talking about this for a year and a half now, and as far as I know, there is no indication that they have even tried to get FCC approval. I think that's what they should have started with.
Look at the channel list and you will notice that they are not just talking about transmitting existing channels, they want to manage most of the programming themselves, basically running their own channels. To know if that's an easy thing to do or not, I just look a who is already doing something like that: Luken Communications. They are slowly adding more channels. They have been in the business for a while now, and they know what it takes, and it shows that it's not easy.
FreeDBS wants to start with 20 channels out of their garage.

Just MHO.

ftamart said:
FreeDBS wants to start with 20 channels out of their garage.

Just MHO.

isnt that where apple computers started, in a garage?

alls im sayin is any time someone posts an update, the whiners bloat the thread and any relevant info is polluted with a bunch of complaints about something that hasnt cost them a thing.

crackt out,.

I think the issue is time and hope. Look where we been. In the last few years we LOST a lot of channels. Equity bankrupt, Ohio Network going IPTV, and according to another thread ...the PBS stuff on '63 is now going IPTV. And other former free channels now encrypted. Here comes a company a year and a half ago promising to start a new service, mainly free (and also maybe hope expanding our great hobby in the process). And with all due respect, we heard nothing except promises and big ideas.

Going back to the original 100+ page thread, at one point after the announcement. I believe the company wasn't even a legal entity until someone in that thread pointed it out and then they got their business papers filed. With all the great resources and experience and contacts some of our membership has here. We heard nothing about them testing satellites, nothing in the trade papers, magazines or other industry sources in terms of an announcement or intent of launching the service except... from their own website (or other FTA sites with them being the source). What publications or industry sites have talked and are talking about them?

The start of another home satellite service (Free or not) should have created great 'buzz' in the satellite industry. Especially with the costs of satellite and cable TV going up each year making the mainstream news. It should have created buzz in the entertainment circles. It should have created buzz in geek and electronic hobbyist circles. Also someone in this industry would have been able to track down them leasing of 20 channels (and more) of satellite space.

Someone, somewhere would have said something. I can't imagine the inquiry to a satellite company to lease almost two dozen channels would be a state secret. It seems that they are making all these claims and no one in the industry can verify that they are on track. Did we lose money because they did not launch when we hoped they would? No but I mentioned time and hope. The time part, well that was the other thread and now this one. And that it is... our time talking about a service that still does not yet exist...

Last edited:
...alls im sayin is any time someone posts an update, the whiners bloat the thread and any relevant info is polluted with a bunch of complaints...

How can there be relevant information about a service that doesn't and never will exist?

Don't confuse "whining" with "heckling". Many of us heckle Freedbs because they are an internet hoax... and a hoax deserves to be heckled. P.T. Barnum would've been very proud of his self if he'd lived long enough to see this.

I'm not complaining about Freedbs... I'm laughing at them. And I kinda feel sorry for the believers. Manbearpig lives on.

Cheers

My theory is this

If Freedbs shows up some day with channels...yay!
If they dont ever see the light of day...oh well, life goes on

Its not like these channels were here and now they're gone. They havent been here yet

We would love to support them when they launch... At the moment not much to support. :)

Sent from my iPad using The SatelliteGuys app!

They seem to basically post any site that apparently has a thread on them as a supporting forum

Status
Please reply by conversation.