Friday FTA Fun Poll 5-16

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

The last time you worked on your FTA system?

• today

Votes: 12 28.6%
  • within the last week

Votes: 14 33.3%
  • within the last 2 weeks

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • within the last month

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • within the last 6 months

Votes: 10 23.8%
  • I havent changed anything since I set up my system

Votes: 1 2.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
Friday FTA fun poll time again :)

Easy one...

When was the last time you worked on your FTA setup? This can be as easy as swapping a switch out or as elaborate as putting up a new setup. Swapping receivers don't count in this one as some of us do that hourly :p

-today
-within the last week
-within the last 2 weeks
-within the last month
-within the last 6 months
-I havent changed anything since I set up my system :)

within the last week (yesterday to be exact)
since i got a HD receiver for StarChoice, I had to move 2 dishes to new slots. The SC dish I had was at G10 (I used that because of the quad LNB) and had the Primestar dish at 107.3 (old box was not HD).

moved the SC dish to 107.3/111.1
moved the Primestar dish to 123W and added LNB's for 119 & 129
undid the 3 cables from the roof for G10
reran some cabling from the G10 dish to the switches under the table and got everything set back up properly :)

Today!

I've been on the business end of a rock bar and post hole diggers sinking a hole for the pole for my Ku dish, big rocks and heavy clay all 3' down. I've got it plumbed up and the Sackcrete is on the way, she'll be set and solid by dark tonight. :cool:

Lak
agreed. And if you live in the northern states, its finally getting nice out to do stuff :)

all I did today was ghetto move the 2nd C-Band dish out of the garage for the weekend :D

all I did today was ghetto move the 2nd C-Band dish out of the garage for the weekend :D
Yea, but I'm thinking you probably do that every weekend! - :rolleyes:

I voted for "this week", and with new shipments from Sadoun and Iceberg arriving today, my coming weekend may be saturated with FTA, too! - :)

agreed. And if you live in the northern states, its finally getting nice out to do stuff :)

Just before New Year I had to replace the actuator, it was cold!

Put a new actuator on the 10' a few weeks ago, other than that I really haven't done much changing lately, hate to touch anything when its all working so well....for now anyway:)

Wow 50% of us so far have messed around with our FTA systems in the last week so far. Happy to see that others are as addicted to this as I am. I have friends, family and neighbors that scratch their heads when they see me tweaking the dish now and then.

One thing is I like to mess with antennas anyway. Ham radio op here also.

We should have a poll on that to see how many are hams here.

Have a great weekend all and don't miss Star Trek on G10 (if your into that).

Wow 50% of us so far have messed around with our FTA systems in the last week so far. Happy to see that others are as addicted to this as I am. I have friends, family and neighbors that scratch their heads when they see me tweaking the dish now and then.
I figured a good amount of us would be doing that :)

We should have a poll on that to see how many are hams here.

start a new thread in this area :) I wondered how many hams are on here too.

Today, and almost every day doing something.

I started fixing up the box to be located at the dish where I will house my independent LNB power supplies for my Bullseye II feed-horn.

BTW, I think I can count the days I am not working on my setup in some way easier than I can count the days I am working on it. :)

Wow, the brown truck just rolled down to our backwoods compound with my Sadoun order...that wasn't supposed to be here till Monday! My excuses for not having my Ku dish installed and run into the house are getting few and far between. :)

SatGuys, prepare for a barrage of noob questions, yet again! :D

Wow 50% of us so far have messed around with our FTA systems in the last week so far. ...

Have a great weekend all and don't miss Star Trek on G10 (if your into that).

Oh crap...I can't miss Star Trek on G10. I better get my box fixed tonight if I can!

As for my dish.... I leave the tools next to the scene of the crime. I'm always tweaking it. There is a beaten path from the front door leading to the dish.

Within the last week. I noticed I was getting really terrible quality on my 90cm dish on G10R. The Q was better on my 31" dish than my 36" . I went out and found the Invacom lnbf was all skewed out of alignment ( motorized system , easy to tell) . I remember bumping into it when I cut the grass, and must have swung it around.
Remedy, Took a couple wraps of electrical tape around the neck, and put it back correctly in the holder. Now it doesn't spin at all !
:)

Tweaked the dish back in Feb. Hopefully will get some time soon, as I have 2 of the 3ABN dishes setting in the garage.

Today..!!! Actually it's not my main system I tinkered with today, I have promised a neighbor some of my unused equipment. So, I used a temporary concrete bucket pole and a 36" FS fixed dish and my Trimax meter to get a general position in place, so I can just move it to his pole and it should be close. It took me every bit of 5 minutes to nail G10, about an hour and a half to construct a properly bent metal attachment to adapt an lnbf for G27. Then a couple of minutes to get the most signal with the Trimax meter. Then I hook the receiver inside up to it and G10 is low (very cloudy here with occassional rain) but comes in fine. Go to G27 and get a signal but not enough Quality. I tinker with it for another hour or so, and give in. Don't know what I might be doing wrong, or not doing right, but this hobby can get annoying at times. What's strange is the Trimax has a picture and I could watch White Springs on a 6' cable outside, but the FS Lifetime Classic NA would not get enough Quality on about a 40' cable for White Springs? But it worked fine on G10...?
Once I sleep on it and take Saturday off (have other commitments), come Sunday I'll figure out what I'm not doing right and get it working, I hope...?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)