Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
It’s that time again for the often imitated never duplicated Friday Fun poll!

If you could design a receiver, which FOUR (only can pick 4) options would you put in it?

PVR
Diseqc 1.2
USALS
Blind scan
4:2:2
HD
EPG (I know most channels don’t have it but let’s say that the EPG DID work)
AC-3
Analog capability

Normal features would be in it (like 2 sets of a/v outputs, S-Video and component ouputs and a REAL TIME CLOCK) :D

USALS /Blind Scan/AC-3/HD would be nice, I will take mine in black.

voomvoom said:
Tis not fair play to not be able to vote for all of the above. No Fun At All....

thats the main purpose of these...they're FUN but they make you think

SOme previous ones were
-you can have a receiver with either blind scan or 1.2 but not both...what do you pick?
-what satellite is your favorite...oh G10 can't be one :)

Mine would be a blind-scanning HD & analog-capable receiver with AC-3 output (for the HD stuff).

I chose those mainly to complement what I currently have, the Pansat 2500A and my new DVB PCI card. Before too long I hope to have many of the features listed in this thread working on my HTPC. :)

I voted USALS / Blind Scan / 4:2:2 / EPG. Why? Becuase I'm a REBEL!

... ok, actually becuase my wife would love that :p I'm assuming that the dish is set up properly; if so, this STB could automatically go to a satellite (USALS), search for new stuff (Blind Scan), and could display most everything it found (4:2:2). Plus it would list what it is on the spiffy Pretend EPG! My other half would be in heaven... she moans constantly about the G10 bedroom STB not having an EPG like the HD box in the living room.

Edit/Addendum: You know you're an FTA addict when half your words are abreviations. You know you're among other addicts when they fully understand what you just said... :rolleyes:

Only 4 :(

I would pick 4:2:2, analog, Diseqc, and blind scan. And it better be a FAST blind scan...maybe it would do an entire satellite in like a minute :)

For me it's

USALS
Blind Scan
AC-3
HD

It's really a toss up between 4:2:2 and AC-3. But If I had to choose one, It would be AC3.

USALS
Blind Scan
4:2:2
HD
=================================
PVR could be replaced with VCR or DVR etc.
Who needs Diseqc 1.2 when you got USALS (p2500)
Would love EPG but have lived without it. (Manly into sports feeds)
AC-3 is nice but you can get some PBS OTA.
Analog would be nice but you can use an analog recvr instead.

Wouldn't mind them all, but he said just 4.

I am approaching this with a view to operate all dish sizes with this reciever, including BUDS. With that in mind, and the options available, I go with the following: diseqc, ac-3, epg, analog.

Here is my reasoning-

1) PVR would be nice but not necessary
2) USALS wont work with any flavor of the Vbox to move my BUD
3) There is not enough HD or 4:2:2 out there yet to really worry about those.
4) Both my Pansat and Satworks have blind scan ;-)

On the other hand
1) Diseqc 1.2 works to move my BUD (using a dish positioner)
2) Lots of AC-3 channels / feeds showing up
3) Analog that i can sub with (vcII module compatable) would eliminate the need to run two seperate recievers
4) Lack of EPG can (and has) really affected the WHASF* with regards to FTA.

Thanks for the thought provoking poll Iceberg :-D

*Wife Happiness And Satisfaction Factor -for those who dont know the acronym ;-)

drhydro said:
Thanks for the thought provoking poll Iceberg :-D

funny how I had no idea what to use this week and as I am sitting on hold with the phone company (for my job), I started typing up features on a box and thats how this came up :)

These usually pop into my head while sitting on hold :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts