Friend TRICKED Directtv into getting HD Locals!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Any time you commit a crime involving the mail (as in address), it becomes a federal crime. It's an inter-state crime. Best of luck. Say "hi" to Michael Vick.

Any time you commit a crime involving the mail (as in address), it becomes a federal crime. It's an inter-state crime. Best of luck. Say "hi" to Michael Vick.

Ease up there.

The rules that govern who gets what signals are not "laws". They are regulations. Assuming there is no intent to re-sell or syndicate the signals in question, personal use does not rise to the level of a "crime" with an attached, legislated punishment.

In the second place, the sat companies have no interest in paying for the policing of these rules. So long as they have the required paperwork on file that indicates, right or wrong, that a customer is quaified, all they care about is whether or not the check clears. They are covered, and they get paid.

Trust me on this. They will follow the rules, but they will not go an extra mile to police them.

Violation of these regs may be inconsiderate of certain property rights (i.e. the local network affiliates) but they in no way involve personal harm, theft of service or a threat to public order.

About the worst that could happen is having the signals taken away from you.

Tsk, tsk.

What you are discussing is not a "federal crime" and would be laughed out of court by any judge it was brought before. Mail fraud? You gotta be kidding.

And the word is "interstate", not "inter-state".

Although I am not 100% sure this would be deemed federal mail fraud, it is fraud by the simple definition; however, I am almost sure that these are laws set and governed by the FCC and your DBS providers are bound to uphold what they are told by the FCC.

jmrife, sorry about that typo. I usually do pretty well on my grammar. You would be surprised what some companies will do to uphold these laws considering the volume of advertising dollars out there.

Just to be clear, there is a huge difference between a "law" and a "regulation".

The FCC was created by law to regulate.

No problem with the typo. I have heard about peeple who make misteaks, but I nver due.

I don't know where you get that. Two of my OTA HDs are VHF, assigned freqs of 2 and 5. Sounds like I need a VHF to me. :rolleyes:

You will definitely need a vhf antenna for those two. The high band vhf can be picked up by some antennas, like the Channel Master 4228.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)