FROM DISH: New 942 Information

Status
Please reply by conversation.
mathius8 said:
isn't that what i said
You keep saying that the $250 is a fee for the privilege of renting the 942. DHA is a lease program. You wouldn't be renting at all. You are making a down payment on a lease.

Aren't we talking about the same thing? It cost something for the ability to use something. You never own it. The only difference is the amount of money involved, and the fact that an auto lease is usually a closed-ended deal, that is you know after x number of years, the car is going away. The receiver is your to use indefinitely.

However...

There is a far higher risk to the leasing agency when considering a car. It's mobile, subject to all kinds of environmental and safety issues, is expected to require maintenance, can be modified, and so on. Therefore, the lease of a car is much higher due to the exponentially higher risk of damage or loss to the leasing agency. Further, if you don't pay, they have to find you.

With a 942, you really can't modify it, don't carry it around, if you don't pay they immediately shut off the use of it, it can only be used for their service, and drunk driving has a completely different meaning ;) .

So, my own opinion is that the $250 is way too steep. If you were promised you'd get it back, then no problem (assuming we could every believe the E* promises). In that case, it's just a deposit.

gpflepsen said:
Who pays thousands of dollars to rent something? (car) Quite a few do.

You can lease a 942 for a bit over 1/2 the purchase price over 3 years.

You can lease a car for way more than 1/2 the purchase price over 3 years.

As I stated before, when I became a Dish customer a little over two years ago, I paid $50 to get the 508 DVR as part of the Digital Home Plan (which is almost the same thing as the DHA). I see the $250 as just an upgraded version of that deal.

One big advantage to leasing the equipment is upgrading in the future. I was able to swap out a 301 for an 811 for just a $25 shipping fee (plus the $10/month HD package). I am hoping that the leased 942 will also be easily swapped out for whatever MPEG4 HD PVR comes next.

dosent have to be a 942

in my original post i'm just saying keep your options open. the sony rdr hx 1000 is really a great product, look up the specs its nice: records at 15mbps, 250 gig hard drive, dvd recorder, it will download the guide from dish network and work almost exactly like tivo (for free). with the 942 holding only 25 hrs of hd it will be full in no time and it has no dvd recorder. there are other options.

The 942 only looks like it has RCA type A/V output for TV2, yet the included cable, according to the specs in Scott's first posting in this thread is only 8' long! It seems TV2 would practically need to be in the same room. Mine's close, but not that close. It seems TV2 should be able to connect via RF. How do these type of receivers (like 522) normally hook up to a second TV? I have a 508 and a 811 in my living room and a 301 in my bedroom and would like to replace all three with the 942 if possible.

Thanks.

That Sony rdr hx 1000 may be a nice peice of equipment, but it can in no way attempt to replace an HD DVR. Hell, it's even more expensive than the 942 or the 921.

TV2 from the 942 is also RF. A run of coax is all that's needed for feeding a second TV in another room.

SimpleSimon said:
No way you're going to get a 942 in February. Chances are slim and none. Nada, nyet, nicht.
I'm not so sure of that after I talked to Dish Network today. It wasn't csr folks either. I got a definite February and even heard the details of the promotion (which has already been shared here). I am now willing to wait a few weeks to see if I can in fact get into the 942 in February after all.

Thanks Gerry,
Only, I didn't see an RF out for TV2 on the Quick Facts Sheet Scott posted in the first post on this thread. It only lists an RCA A/V and a stereo agile modulated output (whatever that is) under "TV2 Connections." Am I missing something?

Aha! Thanks, Bryan. I've learned something new.

After 2 months of HD without a DVR with my new 811 (following 2 years of timeshifting with a 508), DISH has me too at $250 for the 942...and whatever upgrade offer they come along with for the eventual MPEG4 DVR. IMO, the MPEG4 issue is pretty moot anyway until providers start putting out more "compelling" HD content. Even all of VOOM's channels seemed like a lot of repetition.

Damn if I'm not now considering adding a leased 942, and after I told myself that I would wait for MPEG-4. That said, I should assume that the 942 will have the same cabling requirements of Dish's other dual-tuner STBs, right?

For me, the use of the TV2 Compostite would be for a DVDR in the same room as the 942. Hopefully this would allow me to record while watching HD (in single mode). I'd be happier if TV2 had an S-Video out.

Hmmm, I don't see any S-Video. That'll be real annoying for the DVDR people.

(and what's with those silly connector colors?)

After all the problems with the 811 and the 921, I think I'll wait to see if the 942 works
before jumping in.

I'm tired of getting burned............

Can long time good customer lease the 942?

I think that I will go for the 942 if I can get the lease deal. It is not clear whether a good longtime customer can lease the 942. If not, I guess that I will have to switch to Comcast or D* to get a deal on a HD DVR.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)