FROM DISH: New 942 Information

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I was under the impression we'll be able to. I guess we'll have to wait and see...

David_Levin said:
I'd be happier if TV2 had an S-Video out.

Hmmm, I don't see any S-Video. That'll be real annoying for the DVDR people.
Dish is still stuck on their original design, going back to the 2000, of not providing S-Video on the second output. Now the new 942, which has no standard output at all for TV1, also has no S-Video for TV2. :no :confused:

BFG said:
This looks very cool, assuming it all works :( ...
Nice:
It has that antenna mover thingy (not enabled)
It has the dish comm support, since I don't have a phone next to my HDTV (not enabled)
All of the nice features may not work :(
OK boys and girls, can you say "DishWire"?

Nbr

What about NBR, Will the 942 have NBR?? Also has dish said anything about the 921 or 811 getting NBR?

and when will the 510 get it??

Thanks Jon

j5races said:
What about NBR, Will the 942 have NBR?? Also has dish said anything about the 921 or 811 getting NBR?

and when will the 510 get it??

Thanks Jon

In the spec sheets displayed in the first post of this thread, the 942 will have NBR.

I don't know about the 921, but the 811 isn't a DVR so it has no need for NBR. ;)

Unless $250 is a deposit which is refunded upon return, I'll wait to see how it works before jumping in.

Also, does $250 deal include installation?

After reading the whole thread, I still need someone to put the cookies on the bottom shelf for me. I have a 301, a 6000 and and a 508. All were purchased. If I want to replace the 6000 with the lease upgrade, what are my costs. I already have the HD package. Could someone confirm what monthly fees I would have for the 942?
$250 upgrade fee.
$5/mo lease fee ??
$5/mo DVR Fee??

Thanks,

Doyle

Hi, welcome to satguys!

Yes, those are the fees. But wether you as an existing customer will be able to get one right away is unknown, and also what if anything you'll need to trade in is unknown as well. Stick around the site for the details as we get them! :)

Without a bridge to MPEG-4, which will be on Dish HD by XMax, and w/o an s-video output to feed my DVD-R, the 942 is DOA. Unless they just offer them for lease at $5/month w/ no upfront money.

Carl, I agree with you. If I do not have an S video output to go to my DVD-R its no good to me. I know it is a DVR but if I record something I want to keep for good I want to burn it to a DVD.

Disappointing.

Existing customers pay $250 for a 942, the successor to the originally bug-ridden 921, and on top of that are expected to pay a monthly lease fee. Based on the 921 insult on the consumer's intelligence and that fact that Dish hasn't added any new HD content in ages, let alone HD locals and HD distant locals, I think I'll keep my plastic in my wallet on this one.

I've had Dish for over four years and have been happy with their SD service, but for the time being I'm proceeding with my Charter Cable Scientific-Atlanta 83000HD DVR installation tomorrow afternoon. No $250 fee, same $10/month lease/DVR fee cost, and HD locals except PBS, WB and UPN (rest to follow "soon"). I will keep Dish until May whenn my commitment to the single tuner SD DVR runs out. At that point if Dish hasn't expanded it's HD content significantly and the new 942 isn't bug-free, I may well cancel them and keep Charter. Kind of sad, since I've been happy with their SD service. They just can't seem to get their HD-butt in gear, tho.

Expansion storage option for 942?

One of the drawbacks with the 942 and 921 is the limited recording time for HD ~ 25 hours and less if you record any SD material. The limited storage time and no good way to archive the HD recorded programs is a real limitation for the 942. MPEG-4 should help by approximately doubling the storage time per gigabybe, but it won't help the 942. We will have to obtain new receivers to receive the new HD channels with MPEG-4 compression to be launched later this year.

Meanwhile, it appears that the cable companies are beginning to provide storage enhancements per this link I saw on the Yahoo Atlanta ahdtv forums:

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/050105/sfw017_1.html

It appears that this type of HD expansion for the Cable DVR's will probably become common. Meanwhile, it appears that E* is standing still on everything related to HD!

David Dietzel said:
Disappointing.

Existing customers pay $250 for a 942, the successor to the originally bug-ridden 921, and on top of that are expected to pay a monthly lease fee.

I would think that most customers that get the 942 are already paying a lease fee, so it isn't a big deal.

If they bring about a bigger HD in the MPEG-4 HD DVR that they will come out with then that in itself will allow more hours of storage for HD plus with the compression it would allow for more HD storage as well so we could expect two to three times the storage that we see today with the 25 hour HD storage that we see now. If we could upgrade our HD's and perhaps add a second one and so forth we would have a lot more storage than that. We would need more HD content to be able to fill up this space more though.

JohnC said:
One of the drawbacks with the 942 and 921 is the limited recording time for HD ~ 25 hours and less if you record any SD material. The limited storage time and no good way to archive the HD recorded programs is a real limitation for the 942. MPEG-4 should help by approximately doubling the storage time per gigabybe, but it won't help the 942. We will have to obtain new receivers to receive the new HD channels with MPEG-4 compression to be launched later this year.

Meanwhile, it appears that the cable companies are beginning to provide storage enhancements per this link I saw on the Yahoo Atlanta ahdtv forums:

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/050105/sfw017_1.html

It appears that this type of HD expansion for the Cable DVR's will probably become common. Meanwhile, it appears that E* is standing still on everything related to HD!

Read the article.. I only see Time Warner mentioned. Maybe others will follow suite, but from what I could tell with a quick scan the article was just about a deal with Maxtor and Time Warniner.

As to limited HD space, last I checked both the 921 and 942 are competive in this area. There are a lot of Cable company HD DVRs out there with ~10-12 hours of HD last time I looked.

It is good to see that the Cable companies are making headway in this area. It will make the DBS companies work harder.

WeeJavaDude said:
Read the article.. I only see Time Warner mentioned. Maybe others will follow suite, but from what I could tell with a quick scan the article was just about a deal with Maxtor and Time Warniner.

As to limited HD space, last I checked both the 921 and 942 are competive in this area. There are a lot of Cable company HD DVRs out there with ~10-12 hours of HD last time I looked.

It is good to see that the Cable companies are making headway in this area. It will make the DBS companies work harder.

The speculation is that other cable companies will follow Time Warner. The cable HD DVR's now generally will only record 12 hours or less of HD and are in a big need of expansion options. It certainly appears that E* could also provide expansion options. However, since the 942 and 921 are short term solutions until the MPEG-4 capable HD DVR is released later this year, it probably would not be a good idea to spend on additional storage for the 921 or 942.

David_Levin said:
The cable boxes have less hard drive space, but at least most have the Firewire to DVHS support.

Valid point, however most DVR users don't have a DVHS deck from what I can tell and would much rather have the additional recording space. I know for a some users, loosing firewire for DVHS support was a big deal. However, if I wa given double the storage space or firewire out for DVHS support, I would pick double the storage space hands down. I think most people would.

The external harddrive is a nice option but does take up additional space and complicates the install.

Having double the recording space out of the box is a nice selling point over the competition.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)