FROM DISH: New 942 Information

Status
Please reply by conversation.
CSRs have told people who asked about it that it will only be available to new customers in DHA for a $250 upgrade/install fee :(

ayoung said:
So, the difference between the 921 and 942 is that the 942 has DVR capabilities on both TV1 and TV2 whereas the 921 could only record and playback on TV1?

Does anyone have a good place to view a comparison?
According to the glossy on the 942, it can record on all 3 tuners and playback two recordings.

The 921 can only record on two of its three tuners at the same time and can only playback a single recording.

ayoung said:
... So, the difference between the 921 and 942 is that the 942 has DVR capabilities on both TV1 and TV2 whereas the 921 could only record and playback on TV1? ...
There is NO TV2 on the 921. A hint is the last-digit of "1" in the model number.

To lay it out for everyone, there is NO "real" connection between number of tuners and number of outputs on an E* DVR. The tuners and output(s) work independently - at least when the box is operating correctly - ya just never know with some of the idiots they have doing programming. Case in point: try to delete an event from the 921 while both tuners are recording. :no

WC_SouthElgin said:
I agree in the sense I'll believe it when I see it in front of me but none the less I've paid for it and I have an installation date of 2/12 for one 942 and one 522.

Long story short, I had a bad experience when I tried to rejoin Dish after leaving for 2 months to try out Comcast. The issue was escilated, and I spoke to someone in corporate who set me back up. I mentioned the 942 and asked about MPEG4. The rep agreed it would be a couple of months before the 942 hits the market but when I asked what could be done for all my trouble I was shocked when I was told I could get a 942.

I went the lease route and was charged $299, $250 for the 942 and $49 for the 522. I have an authorization number for my charge on my Discover card.

I'm just as skeptical as all of you but I guess we'll see in a week. If I don't get it, you can be assured I'll be calling Dish again and if I do get it, I'll post pics and praise Dish.

OK let's hear all about your 942

philssatellite said:
From what my salesman at echosphere told me this morning. that the 942 is mpeg-4

Do a little research around this site before you post statements like this. It has been well-documented that the 942 will NOT have MPEG-4 capabilities. Charlie & Co. even stated so at their press conference at CES.

I was just posting what the guy told me.not for it to be a fact. it just goes to show some of there own people don't know what they are selling.That's all.

So, Dish had hinted strongly that this would be out in February, Q1 at the latest. But we haven't heard ANYTHING since then.

Has Dish pulled a(NOTHER) Dish? Is this thing officially vaporware yet?

-Allen

akm3 said:
So, Dish had hinted strongly that this would be out in February, Q1 at the latest. But we haven't heard ANYTHING since then.

-Allen

No it is not vaporware. Actually the last update I heard was towards end of March.

WeeJavaDude said:
No it is not vaporware. Actually the last update I heard was towards end of March.

I guess what I'm asking is, do you BELIEVE it will be out in March?

Do you believe if it comes out in March, it will work like it is supposed to (i.e. Will they push it out buggy just to say they released it when they said they would?)

-Allen

SSDD with Dish. Whoever got their hopes up for their announced February 942 release timeframe is an eternal optimist.

I hope it doesn't come out for six more months. Now THAT would be humor. :p

akm3 said:

-Allen

In 31 days, I predict that we will see posts from people that have just had their 942's installed with NBR and local HD channels programing guide working. We should also be seeing posts about the new HD channels that E* has just added: Universal HD, ESPN2 HD, Starz HD, Cinamax HD, and Encore HD. And we might see some posts about the NBR capability on the 506, 508, and 510 DVR's and a real local channel guide for local HD channels on the 921.

However, since 31 days from now is AFD, we will not be able to take those posts seriously. However, E* will be getting in a bind as the release date of the 942 becomes closer and closer to the initiation of new HD channels with MPEG-4 compression, which the 942 cannot handle. I really expect to see some 942's soon, even if they are in pre-alpha state. E* recent record with HD receivers is pretty dismal. I am really hoping that the 942 arrives in a decent state (post beta) and that I can lease it for $250 down (sell my 6000 for that) plus $5 or $10 a month.

Unfortunately, it appears that E* HD plans are frozen until the outcome of the 61.5 satellite from VOOM is approved (or disapproved). If that purchase is approved and their new satellite launch this summer is successful, they will have all the capacity they need for many national HD channels, HD locals in the top markets, more foreign language channels, more clock channels, and many, many more shopping channels.

akm3 said:

Do you believe if it comes out in March, it will work like it is supposed to (i.e. Will they push it out buggy just to say they released it when they said they would?)

-Allen

If they were going to "push it out buggy just to say they released it when they said they would", it would have hit the streets in December. (ala the 921) :)

What, no S-Video output? It's always something. Can the composite output put out 16:9 4801?

akm3 said:

-Allen

Being a technical lead for the systems management team that produces embedded system management software, I have seen software that looks golden until the day before it is declared and then someone finds a showstopper that takes a month to fix. Software Dates are projected dates and they move all the time. They are like the weather, closer you get to the actually day the better your time estimate is, However ever once in a while a freak storm comes in.

So will it release in March? I will keep that opinion to myself because like Dish when you make a statement about a release date and it does not occur there is usually a back lash. I will take the IBM approach and not discuss release dates until they are firm and set in stone.

As in to being buggy.. This is another loaded question. Based on what Dish has gone through with the 921 and hopefully some leasons learned, I would expect the 942 to be farther along in terms of stability than the 921 was when it hit the streets.

Time will tell. If you have your doubts, Wait until you see what people have to say about it when people get their hands on it. A month after the 942 gets into the wild will give anyone a good idea of its state. Until then it is purely speculation expect people that actually are beta testing this box.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)