Front vs back USB Ports on 722k and 612k

mpcook

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
I have noticed some problems getting both my 722k and 612k seeing the exterrnal hard drive I have saved some movies to. I called Dish for another reason and asked the tech. He said that external hard drive will work from the front USB port but not the back. The back is for sling adapter or wifi adapter. This would explain why my drive doesn't work in the back, but this was news to me, had not heard the two ports were in any way different. I am using a WD 500 Scorpio Black with no AC adapter, so I wonder if this is true if the drive is not powered from the port, but from AC instead.

EHDs must be AC powered. Either port will work. Tech was completely wrong about the back port.

I just wanted to double check something.

There's only 2 USB ports on the 722K, right? Just one in the front and one in the back, correct?

Thanks, Matt.

Yeah, sometimes I have trouble getting the 722K to recognize my External Hard Drive so I keep on unplugging and switching between the front USB port and the back one. I just wanted to make sure those were the only 2 options on the DVR itself.

I would leave the USB plugged into front or back--I use front.
If it is not being recognized, unplug the drive and replug and try again.
If still not unplug USB and reboot, wait and then plug again.
Just checking, this is an externally powered USB drive?
-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts