Frontier Communications Files for Bankruptcy

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I am amused and saddened at the same time that their big plan for coming out of bankruptcy is to deploy fiber for broadband. Great idea...twenty years ago. If they had done that all along, they probably wouldn't have gone bankrupt in the first place, and as the limitations of [the current generation of] cable Internet have been exposed by COVID-19, people would probably be clamoring for their fiber now.

I am amused and saddened at the same time that their big plan for coming out of bankruptcy is to deploy fiber for broadband. Great idea...twenty years ago. If they had done that all along, they probably wouldn't have gone bankrupt in the first place, and as the limitations of [the current generation of] cable Internet have been exposed by COVID-19, people would probably be clamoring for their fiber now.
That's what I've always have said about AT&T and their U-Verse FTTN garbage. If they had done that in the beginning they wouldn't have seen cable take over the internet to the home market because their offerings stunk so bad. Now eventually they're going to have to go rip out all those old VRAD's they installed because nobody will be using copper anymore.

You don't abandon copper in place. Copper is valuable and if the owners do not remove it, thieves will.

You don't abandon copper in place. Copper is valuable and if the owners do not remove it, thieves will.
Phone wire is typically double insulated with some rather nasty plastics so the risk is high and the yield is low as you remove the insulation.

Frontier, well Citizen's, they are the ones who taught me the money grubbing concept of local long distance calling.

I’m not that far away from Rochester, NY, one of Frontier’s home markets. However, Verizon (NYNEX -> Bell Atlantic) is the ILEC where I live, Frontier takes over at the county border less than a mile way. Calling my neighbors on the other side of the county line was a local long distance call. Being in a rural area, my school district covered portions of six towns split between three different counties, your friends were determined by the county you lived in. Its sounds weird to say this as it was only the 1990s, but since phone was the main way to communicate, I missed out on some friendships because of not being able to communicate after school with others in my class and I was not the only one. If there was a project and partners were assigned and I was paired up with someone in a different county, our parents would drop off us at a central spot, like the library, since it was just too expensive to work on stuff over the phone. There was an occasion or two were I called people who were 5 miles or less away using prepaid long distance cards of used one of those 10-10 services.

It didn’t do me any good, since I was well out of school by then, but once Time Warner Cable came out with their phone service, and offered unlimited calling with nationwide long distance for $30, everyone in this tri-county area dropped Verizon and Frontier in a heartbeat. It almost seemed like people were more excited to be able to affordably talk to their neighbors down the road then their relatives 3 states over.

I still remember the guy that would till my moms vegetable garden was in Citizens land and either didn't have a long distance carrier, or had LD calling blocked. Once he found out we had internet access, he would email us the day before he wanted to order a pizza or sub from the local pizzeria on our side or the border, and we would phone the order in for him so he didn't have to wait.

That's what I've always have said about AT&T and their U-Verse FTTN garbage. If they had done that in the beginning they wouldn't have seen cable take over the internet to the home market because their offerings stunk so bad. Now eventually they're going to have to go rip out all those old VRAD's they installed because nobody will be using copper anymore.
Not too sure about that ...
Chances are they will end up changing cards in the Vrad and use it for whatever the "New" stuff uses ...
Also, way back when they were installed, there was rumors that the Vrads had a Wi-Fi capability if they went that route.

I still get people asking if they will put a Vrad in thier area.

Not too sure about that ...
Chances are they will end up changing cards in the Vrad and use it for whatever the "New" stuff uses ...
Also, way back when they were installed, there was rumors that the Vrads had a Wi-Fi capability if they went that route.

I still get people asking if they will put a Vrad in thier area.
The closest VRAD to my house is about 3500 ft. They had to go to bonded pair wiring just to get 25 Mbps d/l speeds.

Thats common ... Bonded prs are being used currently for anything over 18 mg. at the moment.
That's my point, their service sucks so bad they have to use bonded pairs, and still only get 25 Mbps.

Hell, atleast they give more than 6mbps. AT&T won't even do that for their rural DSL customers and force them to keep dealing with price hikes yearly, along with a decaying copper backbone that they've pretty much forced the crews into retirement that had a clue on how to fix copper.

When I had Frontier, I had 24Mb over VDSL2. They offered 50Mb over bonded VDSL2, but only for business accounts.

Hold out for 1 gig

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I can get 1 gig for $20 a month more, but in doing internal speed tests of my WiFi (Google Mesh) it seems the fastest my wireless devices can handle is about 470 Mbps.

If I had more wired devices it would be worth it. But most everything here is now wireless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: navychop
I went from Illinois Bell to GTE to Verizon to Starband to Wildblue to Frontier for DSL (would not deal with cable co). Frontier just wasn't about innovating anything. We had one of those small rural indy telcos, Midcentury, in a nearby area, that had ambitions, that started offering a really crappy cable-over-copper svc 30 yrs ago, but kept at things and finally got into fiber. They first did their original area and then started expanding outward, town by small town. Got here in 2018 (all below ground), and i went straight on. There is no disruption unless it's my own modem acting up (rarely). They explained at a town meeting that they use a "loop" layout with connections to at least 2 different major interurban backbones, so that any one source going down won't cut svc.

But the Frontiers just couldn't pull this off. So now I would have a choice of them, a local WISP, the local cable co. and now this fiber competitor. Guess whose lunches are getting eaten? Frontier big time, the WISP even bigger wherever the fiber passes (in the towns and along their town-to-town trunk lines, but not (yet) out to all the boonies) and the cable co. at least significantly.

What's the next shoe? Frontier calling it quits, no more landlines?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 9)