FTA Component out...no DVI/HDMI?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gizzer777

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 15, 2005
none
I own a Viewsat Extreme with Component Video out. As with other sets, I am surprised that none of the manufacturers are using HDMI or at least DVI yet.

Not sure how the HD (Copy protection) mess will affect FTA (or my 4dtv and HDD200 for that matter). Even HDMI will be changing next year (I understand a new connector again!) That means yet more adaptors for those of us with HD equipment now! Analog HD is definately a NO NO with the movie studios!

Just finished completely replacing everything from my TV to DVD this year and will not do it again for at least 5 years. Stuff is just way too expensive and standards too unsettled.
Jeff

gizzer777 said:
I own a Viewsat Extreme with Component Video out. As with other sets, I am surprised that none of the manufacturers are using HDMI or at least DVI yet.

There is very little use for HD in the rest of the world and since the North American market is usually an afterthought, that's why the connections are uncommon.

Thanks

mkm4 said:
There is very little use for HD in the rest of the world and since the North American market is usually an afterthought, that's why the connections are uncommon.

Makes a lot of sense that way. In this market, though the HD thing is getting ready to become really messy with the upcoming introduction of HD-DVD formats. I will be watching (this time) from the sidelines!

gizzer777 said:
Makes a lot of sense that way. In this market, though the HD thing is getting ready to become really messy with the upcoming introduction of HD-DVD formats. I will be watching (this time) from the sidelines!
I agree. While I'd love to have a Blu-Ray or HD-DVD drive in my PC, until there's a standard (and it's gone through a couple of generations of gear), I won't be putting any money down.

I'm still smarting from spending $700 on a DVD recorder a few years back (yes, $700...)

You have no idea!

Tron said:
I agree. While I'd love to have a Blu-Ray or HD-DVD drive in my PC, until there's a standard (and it's gone through a couple of generations of gear), I won't be putting any money down.

I'm still smarting from spending $700 on a DVD recorder a few years back (yes, $700...)

I have been an "early adopter" since the days of Betamax! I paid $500 for my first CD recorder years ago when they were only available in SCSI!

DVD computer 16x Recorder today....$40!

After I bought my 1st DVD home Player, there were not even 10 DVD titles to play! Then came progressive scan and then......(it never ends)

Let them duke it out and I will wait this time (older=wiser?) This time they could wind up killing or slowing down HD DVD with the format war and copy protection stuff!

HOWEVER...My first 4dtv (920 in 1997) was $1200!!!!!

gizzer777 said:
I have been an "early adopter" since the days of Betamax! I paid $500 for my first CD recorder years ago when they were only available in SCSI!

DVD computer 16x Recorder today....$40!

After I bought my 1st DVD home Player, there were not even 10 DVD titles to play! Then came progressive scan and then......(it never ends)

Let them duke it out and I will wait this time (older=wiser?) This time they could wind up killing or slowing down HD DVD with the format war and copy protection stuff!

HOWEVER...My first 4dtv (920 in 1997) was $1200!!!!!

Hey Gizzer777, do you remember the Magnavox VCR that came out at $1,500 in VHS Format??? LOL Beta was still better, but had so many problems with their Tape Highway!!!

I think you might be onto something here:) Today, they are going so fast, that one generation never gets the bugs out, before the third generation is put out in a different market... :mad:

Their control, Mind Set, is something else... You would think that the law was only made for the consumer, and the Executives have been given a "Get out of Jail Free" card...:rolleyes: LOL

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)