Status
Please reply by conversation.

esteps

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2006
Greetings!
I have a question--
Can a KU dish (AMC-4) signal be carried over the same line as a DBS (Sky Angel) signal? Perhaps with some kind of switch or diplexer?
I currently have a DBS satellite dish connected from about 50 feet to my house receiver via a single RG-6 cable. I wish to install an FTA dish near the same location and run it to an FTA receiver in my house, but I only have the one cable. Is there some sort of switch/combiner that I can install at the two dishes, and then run the single line into a splitter in my house so that the two receivers can be used with the one line? I would only be using one receiver at a time, so only one would need to be on.
Any chance?
Thanks.
esteps

Easily done. Put a 22khz switch between the 2 dishes, the 22khz off side for DBS, the 22khz on side for FTA. Configure the FTA box to have 22khz on. Put a HF splitter inside where the 2 boxes are. The DBS box won't know anything has changed.

Great--and it looks like our sponsor (Sadoun) has everything I need.
Thanks!
esteps

Easily done. Put a 22khz switch between the 2 dishes, the 22khz off side for DBS, the 22khz on side for FTA. Configure the FTA box to have 22khz on. Put a HF splitter inside where the 2 boxes are. The DBS box won't know anything has changed.

You may have to turn the Master Power switch off on the unused receiver as they often continue to send power down the line when the unit is in standby. I have had 22KHz switches pass power down the non-selected leg. This could prevent the polarity switches as well as possibly cause damage to the receivers. I have used good quality AB switches to completely isolate the receivers.

Yes, I have thought that an AB switch might be the best way to go. By the way, I will be purchasing and installing the Glorystar system this spring. Since I live just up the hill from you, can I pick up the system there in Roseville and save the shipping cost?
esteps

You may have to turn the Master Power switch off on the unused receiver as they often continue to send power down the line when the unit is in standby. I have had 22KHz switches pass power down the non-selected leg. This could prevent the polarity switches as well as possibly cause damage to the receivers. I have used good quality AB switches to completely isolate the receivers.

Where would someone put an A-B switch?
Please think about that question.
One at the dish end, and another at the receiver end?
What happens when it rains? Ya gonna go outside to change the switch? :eek:

What was the original objection to using another run of RG6 coax?
And what are the prices of all the options?

The AB switch replaces the splitter, inside the house.
There was no original objection to another run of RG6 coax.
Prices vary depending upon what configuration you wish.
esteps

I must have misunderstood something...

If you run a 2nd coax from the 2nd dish to the 2nd receiver, there is no switch needed.

If you were trying to combine outputs of the two satellite receivers into one TV set, that is not what these answers assume.

Put the AB switch at the receivers and a 22KHz switch at the dishes. The combination of the AB switch for isolation and the 22KHz switch for the receivers to recognize the appropriate dish.

I would highly suggest running two lines as the switches losses could be in excess of 3dB.

Yes, I have thought that an AB switch might be the best way to go. By the way, I will be purchasing and installing the Glorystar system this spring. Since I live just up the hill from you, can I pick up the system there in Roseville and save the shipping cost?
esteps

Yes a quick trip down the hill would save you the shipping! We have many walk-in customers daily. You are welcome to visit anytime!

Like dem0nlord suggested a 22KHz switch can be used. But instead of using an A./B switch, just use the loop out on your FTA receiver to connect your Skyangle receiver.

So, when you turn your FTA receiver off (on standby), the switch will go to 0 position and pass the DBS signal to the slave receiver. If the 22KHz switch does not go to 0 position autmatically when you trun your FTA receiver off, then I suggest you set up one dummy DBS channel (with 0 position setting) on your FTA receiver that you switch to before you turn your receiver off.

Also, instead of a 22KHz switch, you can use a DiSEqC switch with port 1 for DBS side and port 2 for the FTA side.

Nice alternative--thanks!
esteps

Like dem0nlord suggested a 22KHz switch can be used. But instead of using an A./B switch, just use the loop out on your FTA receiver to connect your Skyangle receiver.

So, when you turn your FTA receiver off (on standby), the switch will go to 0 position and pass the DBS signal to the slave receiver. If the 22KHz switch does not go to 0 position autmatically when you trun your FTA receiver off, then I suggest you set up one dummy DBS channel (with 0 position setting) on your FTA receiver that you switch to before you turn your receiver off.

Also, instead of a 22KHz switch, you can use a DiSEqC switch with port 1 for DBS side and port 2 for the FTA side.

Status
Please reply by conversation.