FTA Forum Changes

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Who's Pete? ;)

I should note that before the change was made it was discussed with staff and all the FTA staff voted to make the change. (Including Iceberg)

This was not something I just did on my own. :)

I don't think Iceberg was arguing for bringing Pete back, I think he was being sarcastic.

The site dynamic changed when Satellite AV was the sole remaining FTA Gold Sponsor. This resulted in not being the best situation for our brand as many resellers started viewing our products as the SatelliteGuys brand. We have been repeatedly told that they love our quality products, but not comfortable selling GEOSATpro products be due to us being "the SatelliteGuys brand".

First, I don't know what would have given them that impression. We had an AZbox forum, that doesn't mean that we were an AZbox vendor.

Second, and perhaps more importantly, why did they perceive association with SatelliteGuys as a taint on the product?!

The site dynamic changed when Satellite AV was the sole remaining FTA Gold Sponsor. This resulted in not being the best situation for our brand as many resellers started viewing our products as the SatelliteGuys brand. We have been repeatedly told that they love our quality products, but not comfortable selling GEOSATpro products be due to us being "the SatelliteGuys brand". Product spotlight turned out to not only be an issue for the SatelliteGuys website and non sponsor products, but also to the sponsors!
that is far out
just don't get it
so maybe a guy with a R at the start of his name won't sell your stuff ?

one could do and has done worse than be called "the SatelliteGuys brand". that would be a very high standard of a product imo

unless this site just drops off for lack of interest from the owner or $$ health etc this place will be here when most others are gone just like 4 years ago(get drift).
or we old posters die

thank you Scott for fixing up this box stuff

I give up. No longer easy to find the info I need on the receiver I own, rather than wade thru info and posts on several other receivers I don't own I can't understand this. I always found Sat Guys the best place to easily find info quickly in the past. If all the fta receivers are lumped in one category then Scott why not lump the two small dish sections together. Let's not make it easy to find support for anything we own. Yes I'm upset and not wanting to be nasty but this whole thread is bizarre. This certainly doesn't promote the fta hobby, or encourage others to try the fta hobby when it's harder to find the info. If this is the way Sat Guys is going to help it's members and it's vendors I can't financially support it down the road. I started with a 30" dish and was totally confused four years ago. Lot's of folks helped me sort it all out and the info I needed was easy to find. It should be that way in the future in my opinion. That's my 2 cents worth.

Excellent Idea! "The Dish Forum" and "The DirecTV Forum" should be combined into a single forum called "DBS". This should include all subscription services that operate in the 11.7GHZ - 12.2GHz band including Sky Angel. This would allow us to talk about lesser known DBS subscription services such as Sky Mexico. We shouldn't show any favoritism to the services that are popular.

I don't think the fact that we had a forum for the MicroHD made a bit of difference. It's the fact that we have a member in our ranks offering advice and product support for the receiver. If that is causing him unanticipated consequences with other avenues of support or sales, or creates perceptions detrimental to the business, then that is something he has to consider in how his business is presented to the world. This is not a satelliteguys problem. But it becomes a problem when the sponsor's influence makes a site change to the detriment of the site's users experience.

Don't get me wrong, I love having a sponsor being active here- especially one that brings so much knowledge and experience, and that is what's driving the popularity and success of a product. I wish more would do that.

The change was just a blind sided move in perception, seemingly approved by only one member (and one indifferent) after implementation.

The solution doesn't fit the problem. The solution has been presented here several times; create brand-specific sub-forums. It'll be just like old times, but moreinclusive of others.

Let's be perfectly clear that the forum changes were going to occur, FTA staff approved and we were consulted in advance due to potential impact.

Scott was quite surprised that we were in favor of his idea to make the forums brand neutral. He thought that we would view the site neutrality as a negative. We did not discuss the details of the changes, but will support the transition.

Scott has a solution planned that will address the confusion.

Do you have any additions or changes to the receiver list?

Sky Angel is not on Satellite anymore.
I didn't know. I don't have any DBS equipment. Years ago, they used to piggy back on Dish Networks 61.5 degree satellite. At the time they were not encrypted and in the clear.

I agree that with the exception of VC2 and Iceberg stepping forward with examples or a list, little was being done to help change the problems. Reminds me of a comment from my childhood, "When you're done complaining, the garden still needs weeding"!

The list is a good start! I would suggest adding the Traxis and Lexium/OmegaSat brands to the list and changing the microHD to GEOSATpro.

Anyone else have suggestion for the list? Lets work together make a positive change!

Brian, the problem is that Scott has not indicated what the list of receivers will be used for. If it is for possible sub-forums then all the complaints we have made would end, as that is what we want! But he has not indicated that is what it is for, so I doubt that it is for new (and old) sub-forums.

The only thing that I can think of that a list could be used for, is when you start a new thread you would have to choose a receiver which would become part of the title of the thread. While that would help with determining what receiver the post is about, it still means the one receiver forum would be congested with posts most have no interest in, and have wade through a host of posts to find those they want to read. Sub-forums are the easiest and best way to do it. No other FTA site I am a member of, or look at, doesn't have receiver sub-forums. So I can't understand the sudden aversion on Scott's part to them, as it is the standard on any such sites.

Last edited:
I honestly don't know the why's and hows. All I know is that Scott is asking for our input. If the proposed change provides search-ability and filtering, I want to be part of the solution!

The "solution" would have been to arrive at this new wonderful idea from the outset.
As it is, it looks like just another afterthought, driven by a knee-jerk reaction.

And as neither the original "problem" nor this "solution" has been fully disclosed, the menber-comments naturally indicate a lack of confidence.

Hardly the first time a surprise forum change has been met with opposition, and resulted in a hurried change.
There are thousands of members, surely we would have arrived at an intelligent compromise, if consulted.

Last edited:
And as neither the original "problem" nor this "solution" has been fully disclosed, the menber-comments naturally indicate a lack of confidence.

That's what bothers me more than the idiocy of the change -- the lack of disclosure. Scott won't tell us, now apparently Brian won't tell us either. Something isn't right!

The "solution" would have been to arrive at this new wonderful idea from the outset.
As it is, it looks like just another afterthought, driven by a knee-jerk reaction.

That's what bothers me more than the idiocy of the change -- the lack of disclosure. Scott won't tell us, now apparently Brian won't tell us either. Something isn't right!

The information vacuum creates all sorts of problems that cannot be predicted, and ultimately you lose control of what was the fact in the beginning. Just look at how conspiracy theories are born and do not die, i.e. Boston bombings, JFK, etc.

I'm not telling you anything, because I do not know anymore than you. All I know is that Scott is trying to make this forum better and more inclusive. There obviously has been a misstep, but he is asking for assistance to make it better. He has asked for a list of receivers and I am helping by suggesting other brands and not telling him to go do his own research.

Sponsors are not involved with the running of this forum and your statement sheds light on this misconception and the reasoning behind Scott's wishes to be brand neutral.

Some of you have been watching the Conspiracy errr i mean History Channel to much! :D

Last edited:
Here's all the painstaking research compiled into a list. Weed as ye may.

AZ Box ME
AZ Box Premium Plus r
AZ Box Ultra
AZ Box Elite and Premium
AZ Box General Discussions
Coolsat
Manhattan
Openbox
Pansat
Vantage
4DTV Motorola

Amiko Alien
AZbox
CaptiveWorks
Coolsat
CNX
Digiwave
Fortec
OpenBox
Pansat
Sonicview
Traxis
Viewsat
4DTV
All Other Models

Golden Media HyperCube
GOLDEN MEDIA SPARK - TRIPLEX
Golden Media Spark One HD
Optibox Raptor HD - Discussions
Golden Media E2 - Discussions
Amiko SHD-8900 Alien - Discussions
Amiko Alien 2 Discussions
Optibox Raptor E2 - Discussions
Optibox Anaconda HD - Discussions
Optibox Anaconda E2 - Discussions
Optibox Gekko HD - Discussions
Optibox Gekko E2 - Discussions
Optibox Gekko Plus Discussions
OpenBox S9 HD PVR - Discussions
OpenBox S10 HD PVR - Discussions
X5 OpenBox -Discussions
Openbox S16 Discussions
OpenBox S12 HD PVR - Discussions
Skybox F3 Discussions
Pansat - Discussions
AzBox - Discussions
X2 Premium HD - Discussions
Sonicview - Discussions
Fortec - Discussions
Traxis - Discussions
Coolsat - Discussions
Digiwave - Discussions
CaptiveWorks - Discussions
Captain - Discussions
Conaxsat - Discussions
Viewsat - Discussions
Other FTA Set Top Boxes - Discussions

Scott has a solution planned that will address the confusion.

Do you have any additions or changes to the receiver list?

Icebergs list is a good start.

Having AZBox and microHD listed under the top level FTA Discussion forum, perhaps wasn't the best choice from an organizational standpoint, but the manufacturer branded sub forums do fit well under Receiving Equipment.

There are 2 categories of receiving equipment:
(1) Stand alone or Set Top Box (STB) receivers
(2) PC based receivers
There should be support for both of these categories.

I'm using AZBox as an example, but the following would apply to any brand.
Presently files and discussions for the AZBox receivers are scattered over multiple FTA sub forums:
FTA Receiver Firmware/
FTA Reciever Manuals/
FTA Receiver Support/

My feelings are that manuals and firmware for the AZBox should be homed (or cross linked) to a top level sub forum for the AZBox. This way, everything associated with the AZBox can be found from a central point without having to look elsewhere under FTA.

I'm not sure that I like the "Support" subcategory. Perhaps FTA Receiving Equipment - STB and FTA Receiving Equipment - PC categories would be better. Specific brands such as AZBox would home to these equipment categories and support discussions would take place under a specific brand.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts