FTA Fourm Title Suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.

phpinfo

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 25, 2008
USA
On the forum index, under "The Big Ones" there is a note under FTA that says "(Note - NO HACK TALK ALLOWED)"

It might be a good idea to remove this, and instead add this note to the welcome email of PM when somebody signs up.

There reason I suggest this, is because I have pointed people to this forum to look into FTA. Then they see "No hack talk" and ask "hack, what does that mean." Then the find out all about the hacker crowd.

It's almost like if they never would have saw that, they would just be looking into FTA without hack stuff even entering their mind.

There should definitely be no hack talk allowed, but I don't think this should be listed as the first thing a person sees. It could be displayed in their PM, email or User CP. Plus someone that is not registered that is only browsing, doesn't need to see this anyway because they won't be posting.

I think the use of "true FTA" should be limited as well. It is just FTA.

Just some thoughts.

I understand this point, but I personally think it needs to stay. Keep in mind I am not even close to being the final word on this.

1st. NO ONE reads welcoming e-mails, rules lists, welcome messages or any such thing on open forums like this. People just click on the link and go on their merry way to post whatever. Without the warning in bold right under the header we would have a very hard time justifying immediate bans on newbies whose first post on the site is asking how to get Dish Network channels on their CoolSat5000.
The number of people involved in FTA that have no idea what "hack" is has to be minuscule. They may not know it's called hacking, but thanks to unscrupulous dealers people are getting into FTA to get free Dish channels, not free channels on a dish. Perhaps changing "no hack talk" to "Legitamate Free-to-air discussions ONLY" might be a friendlier way to say it, but it doesn't carry the weight and finality of the "No Hack Talk". And I bet the number of people who do not know what "haking" is is smaller than the number of people who think getting free encrypted Dish Network or DirecTV channels IS a legitimate use of the so-called FTA equipment.

People don't have to explicitly sign up for the FTA Forum, do they?

If so, the OP's idea needs another way to be implemented...

(once people sign up for satelliteguys, they can see the FTa Forum...)

PHPInfo, why don't you PM Tony (Iceberg) and Scott G a link to this thread. They are both pretty busy with the CES so this thread may have escaped their notice.

Tony

I agree with what TNGTony said...and I'm not at CES (just busy with family life) ;)

now onto the post
On the forum index, under "The Big Ones" there is a note under FTA that says "(Note - NO HACK TALK ALLOWED)"

It might be a good idea to remove this, and instead add this note to the welcome email of PM when somebody signs up.

People wont read it. I can guarantee it. When you register there is a big notice right away

registration notes said:
NO HACK TALK!

SatelliteGuys.US is a place to discuss LEGAL ways of receiveing Satellite and CableTV programming. We have a strict NO HACK TALK policy. Persons posting information on how to hack/steal services or requesting information on how to hack/steal service will be imediately BANNED, in addition to being banned you grant us permission to share your information including email address and ip information to the proper companies security department as well as the FBI.

We also have a thread (sticky) that reiterates it

Please note this forum is for the discussion of Free to Air (FTA) signals that are unencrypted.

We do not tolerate nor allow posts that relate to the illegal theft of encrypted (scrambled) signals.

Any post that either questions or has info on the illegal theft of signals (also known as hacking) will be deleted and the user WILL BE BANNED.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!
Thinking about stealing satellite TV? Think again....

There should definitely be no hack talk allowed, but I don't think this should be listed as the first thing a person sees. It could be displayed in their PM, email or User CP. Plus someone that is not registered that is only browsing, doesn't need to see this anyway because they won't be posting.
I hate to say it but even with it posted 3 times (registering, the one you noticed, and the sticky) you'd be amazed at how many PM's and threads there are that ask how to steal. Now granted it has gone down dramatically since Dish swapped cards but it still happens.

I think the use of "true FTA" should be limited as well. It is just FTA.
I agree but folks who came from the "dark side" call it that. Or they read it other places. We mention there is no such thing as "true FTA" and its "just FTA" :)

Its good as it is. :)

Luckily the way things are now hacking seems to be a thing of the past, but again people still ask us how to steal satellite services so it remains.

Its sad that many when many people hear FTA they think of stealing satellite service from the two DBS companies, when true FTA is nothing like that and for many is the most interesting hobby out there. And for others true FTA is the only way they get their TV, as it is true legal satellite with no monthly fees.

Remember NO HACK TALK. :D :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts