What's the criteria for front page news selections?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rad

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Dripping Springs, TX
Just wondering why no mention of the RVU Alliance announced yesterday by Broadcom, Cisco, DirecTV and Samsung on the front page? There were a number of press releases out yesterday about it.

I'd be interested in knowing what it represents, but I'm not sure it is truly newsworthy with respect to satellite TV. Most of these kinds of initiatives have come and gone without a wimper in the past.

Having Samsung as the only consumer electronics gear manufacturer involved certainly doesn't indicate a huge wave of support. If the Alliance had been co-founded by a true broadband content provider it would have a lot more traction in my mind.

No press release was sent to us, if it was maybe we would have put it up. Although taking a look at it now it really wasnt that newsworth. If they explained what it meant it would be something but I couldn't make heads or tails of it myself.

No reason putting it up now as its old news.

If they explained what it meant it would be something but I couldn't make heads or tails of it myself.

You aren't signed up to get DirecTV press releases since that's how I got a copy of the release?

Maybe this helps explaine it, from the white paper:

"RVU allows users to easily access digital content throughout the home.
A single server can be connected to programming (e.g., via a cable, telco
or satellite feed) that can be recorded or watched live. The server can
also access pictures, home movies, and other personal content from
connected storage devices. All of this content can be accessed
seamlessly from anywhere inside the home, allowing users in multiple
rooms to view the same or different content from the server
simultaneously."

To me that sounds like what DirecTV's been saying about a whole home solution in past conference calls. And it looks like they are wanting to be able to interact with cable, telco and satellte, not just a DirecTV feed.

DIRECTV's whole home storage solution would appear to be a logical extension of MRV.

What the RVU Alliance seems to represent is a comprehensive combination of different kinds of media sources to compete with Microsoft's Windows Media technology and Panasonic's Veira Cast technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts