Fta in HD

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Most FTA receivers output in either NTSC or PAL (or both), and don't have HD capability. You need access to the digital data stream itself, and for that you would do best getting a computer-based DVB solution, such as a PCI card or USB box.

123tim said:
Could I reverse the original question for just a second to ask if HD feeds are backwards compatable with "standard" FTA receivers? What I mean is, as more and more feeds become HD will my receiver be able to decode less and less?

Forgive me for diverging from the original question.

Thanks.
This gets me to thinking ( all ways a dangerous situation ), What happens to FTA in 3 years when there is no more standard definition analog TV ? ? ?

Any guesses ?

Thanks Dave... That's what I'm wondering too.

"FTA is in Digital DVB" Would you mind explaining that a bit further Pete?

Sorry to be so stupid. What I wonder is in a couple of years will every FTA broadcast be HD? I guess that this would render standard definition receivers useless?

Would you be able to hazard a guess as to the effect HD will have on the FTA hobby?

Hope that I'm not asking questions with obvious answers. I'm trying to get up to speed on High Definition broadcasts. In doing some research I found a pretty good (I think.) article on the future of HD tv. It's located at: http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,115054,00.asp for anyone who might be interested.

Thanks again.

Since digital broadcasts are transport streams, I'd think the conversion to digital if anything would be of benefit to FTA. The DVB broadcasts are mpeg2, and tranpsort streams are too. For a broadcaster to send an analog signal via DVB wouldn't they have to first convert it from analog to digital? If the original signal is already digital, a conversion wouldn't be needed.

Incidentally, if you're looking for HD FTA you really need to be looking at Cband and a PC card. The HD broadcasts, except for PBS, are few and far between on KU.

Mike,

I'm still digesting Pete's DVB link, but my primary question right now is; will my new standard KU FTA system (that gets delivered today) be usable five years from now? :) There's still a lot that I need to learn.

123tim said:
Mike,

I'm still digesting Pete's DVB link, but my primary question right now is; will my new standard KU FTA system (that gets delivered today) be usable five years from now? :) There's still a lot that I need to learn.

I don't see why it wouldn't. You never know what 5 years will bring, but the conversion to digital TV should only help.

Thanks Mike,

I'm still not getting this...I think that if I don't get it on this question. I'll assume that I'm not knowledgeable enough to ask the question that I'm asking. I'll stop until I can learn more....

My thinking (probably incorrect) is this:

All (or most) of KU FTA broadcast are digital video broadcast (DVB), and are mpegs similar to (or the same as) those used by computers. I am also thinking that High Definition broadcasts use another form of compression that gives a higher resolution. I do know (for certain now) that my Fortec receiver will not digest HD in any situation.

I was thinking (This is most important to me.) that eventually most KU FTA channels will go to high definition and that I won't be able to get much with my receiver. Hopefully, by the time that this would happen, the price of HD receivers will be much lower.

Can anyone tell me what part of my thinking might be flawed?
Maybe I'm "thinking" too much :)

While the transition to HD is definately a concern, the whole world seems to be dragging their feet on the upgrade. I'm not feeling bad about my recent and future non-HD capable equipment.

The requirement for broadcasters is for them to go digital, not HD. It just so happens that the HD tuners will also get the digital SD stuff so the two are often thought of as one in the same.

Do you have an HD 'off-air' tuner? I'm sure you have digital non-HD broadcasts along with the HD stuff. The jump to HD is a still pretty steep for the independant stations.

My bet is that the big four will eventually go HD only but there will still be plenty non-HD digital broadcast up there for quite some time..... just like there is still a bit of Analog C-band left.

Shawn

Thanks Shawn!
You clarified my confusion. I thought that the law required that broadcast go HD, not just digital. After reading the articles again, I see where I went wrong.
Everyone's previous comments make a lot more sense now.
I just have a standard non-HD tuner that I got today. I was sort of worried that it would be obsolete in a very short time.
Thanks to everyone for your help. Sorry to turn the original topic of this thread completely around.

HD is just one possible set of resolutions in the digital TV standard (ATSC). I'm sure that many broadcasters will make use of the HD-capable bandwidth to multicast several SD programs.

Not to complicate this thread further, but I am more concerned that existing satellite gear may be rendered obsolete by the increasing use of MPEG-4 compression algorithms.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)