FTA Newbie starting with a Super Dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dotbatman

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Hello

I'm in Northwest Ohio, looking to get started in FTA. It looks like the EIRP values are pretty high in my neck of the woods and I'm hoping to get set up with a Mini BUD (C- and Ku-band) at some point. I have been thinking about making a trip down to Columbus to pick up the 120cm dish that Sadoun has, but it's out of stock until March and I'd like to start tinkering before then.

Just recently, I was offered a Super Dish for free, so I thought it would be a good challenge to see what I'm getting into without a tremendous cash outlay. From what I've read in other threads, it sounds like if I have a linear LNB, I should be able to pick up some of the stronger Ku-band transponders. I'm not sure if any of the LNBs on the dish currently are the stacked Ku-band LNBs talked about in the other super dish threads. It looks like I've got one, but I'm not certain. Hopefully someone can tell from my poor quality cell phone pictures.

EDIT: The LNB with the tall oval feedhorn is the one to use. Should be marked with "FSS" and "10750". Thanks, Anole.

My initial target would be to pick up BYU TV. From what I can tell, that means Galaxy 28 (89W). I found some posts about picking up BYU on a Super Dish from 2008, but I'm not sure if anything has changed since then. Does BYUTV on 89W sound like a reasonable goal for the super dish?

I'd prefer to get a PC capture device over getting an STB, because I already have a Windows Media Center setup that I'm quite happy with, and I'd like to integrate any FTA feeds that I'm able to pick up with this and future setups into that system. If I pick up the DVB-World 2104D, will it give me enough functionality to get this working without too much hassle?

If I do indeed have the stacked LNB, will the 2104d be able to handle it without having to do all sorts of fun math?

Attachments

• SSPX0055.jpg
    SSPX0055.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 796
  • SSPX0056.jpg
    SSPX0056.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 312
  • SSPX0057.jpg
    SSPX0057.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 329
Last edited:
you have a SuperDish for 121 west

The LNB you'll use is the one with the tall oval feedhorn, under the big cover.
It has a dog-leg pipe back to the LNB, which is marked with "FSS" and "10750"
Just ignore the other LNBs for now - no need to remove 'em.

Dotbatman, Welcome to Satellite Guys! from the S.West corner of Ohio. Back in the 1980's a cousin and I used to install 10 foot dishes in upper Ohio....Arcanum, and other places north of Greenville. I froze my butt off many a saturday up there in Dec/Jan lol....good luck with your setup....Blind

welcome :wave
you should be able to get BYU TV with the Superidsh. The one thing to note is how the SD LNB is set up. Those LNB's are "stacked". The horizontal frequencies are "stacked" above the vertical frequencies and made vertical. What this means is you can use a satellite splitter to go to more than one receiver. The drawback is the "published" frequency will not be that. It will be an odd number (like 12813)

If you decide to set this dish up for that, what I would recommend is to use the ABCNEws Now transponder to lock the signal. It is a vertical polarity channel that is on its published frequency. Check thelist at the top of the page for the info. Once you have that transponder locked in, then you can scan and lock BYU TV. Note on the audio tto, its the 1st audio LEFT only. The right side just says "SPANISH" about every 4 seconds :)

I use superdishs to aim at 97 west. I did change out the LNB to a standard dual output LNB though. I have had great luck using it for 97 west. I have not tried them on other sats since I Have bigger dishes. However 97 being my true south worked out great for me. I have even had great luck with it in snow and rain.

Hope it works out for you. Cheap way to get started and get your feet wet with FTA. Been hooked ever since I got a signal :)

Iceberg:

Thanks for the advice on starting with the ABC feed. Sounds like a good plan. I found this thread that covers 3 different options, so if I don't end up being able to scan it in, I think you've got the other methods pretty well covered there.

dang I remember that thread ;)

The only change is the transponder info. Its now at
11787 H 15915

so if you do the math one (where you subtract it from 24600) it will give a different result than what that thread does

Signal level (L) means your LNB is connected. Quality (Q) indicates that you're receiving a transponder.

It is very difficult to aim a dish with a PC DVB card. Do you have a standalone receiver?

what is the lot# on your 121 array? When Dish first started manufacturing them they had problems with quality control so much so that they issued recalls on lot numbers P310, P311, P312, P410, P411, and P412. Through Experience I have found that lots P30-P45 are also usually bad also. Lots P50+ and the Q lots are much better.

uh oh
I've got 2 on them here
One says P51
One says P312

so the 312 is junk then?
Probably. What happens is the LO frequency starts to drift and the hotter the LNB is the more it drifts. If it drifts off by more than about 5Hz-10Hz(depends on make and model of receiver) the the receiver will no longer be able to read the signal. The symptoms of this is that your raw signal will remain high but your quality will go to pot.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)