FTA Newbie

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Is there a list of vendor sponsors for this site? I want to be sure to support one of our own.

Thanks,

I'm and old school satellite guru from back in the 80's. I've been out of the business for 8 years now, so I've forgotten a lot.

I want to set up a cheap FTA system just to pick up a few stations on G19, but I can eventually see me going deeper into the hobby. I'm on a limited budget and the freight costs on a 1 or 1.2 meter dish is ridiculously expensive. (I wish I had kept a few of the Primestar dishes people tried to give me after their conversion)

Is anyone here in western NC or upstate SC that could offer suggestions on getting a dish cheap?

Thanks,
I have scrounged many dishes just by asking for them. Only had 3 people who wanted to be paid a little something for them, so I just tell them that I don't charge to remove them and most people are glad they don't have to mow around them any more. Have 5 1.2M Primestar dishes and a bunch of buds from 6 to 10'. Lots of fiberglass buds around, but I pass those by and get aluminum, either solid or mesh. I had my best luck driving the country roads, and most of the places that gave me dishes were folks who lived in mobile homes. Don't know what the correlation is, but got to where I tuned in on those kinds of places. Good luck.

Reactions: rdrunner
I dont think Titanium or KE4EST sell the linkbox receiver, or any receivers if memory serves correct. They both do however sell the excellent ASC-1 polarity and dish positioner. Pretty sure youll have to visit Casey's site at hypermegasat to get one, and there is another guy that has his own forum that also has a fairly reputable satellite business. If you want to support those here those are the ones i know about and im sure others will chime in with them but any of these would be good people to buy from. SO head over to hypermegasat.com and order yours today! (imagine goofy sales pitch like you see on the commercials)

Good to know, wasnt aware he was selling receivers now, though i havent needed anything and havent browsed either of your sites in a while

I dont think Titanium or KE4EST sell the linkbox receiver, or any receivers if memory serves correct. They both do however sell the excellent ASC-1 polarity and dish positioner. Pretty sure youll have to visit Casey's site at hypermegasat to get one, and there is another guy that has his own forum that also has a fairly reputable satellite business. If you want to support those here those are the ones i know about and im sure others will chime in with them but any of these would be good people to buy from. SO head over to hypermegasat.com and order yours today! (imagine goofy sales pitch like you see on the commercials)

Casey has one on the way for me. Should be here Tues or Wed.

Casey said most people use flash drives for recording. Is there a maximum size flash drive that can be used with the 9000i Local? Will it support a 3.0 drive?

KE4EST is now stocking the reliable Amiko Mini HD (now upgraded to the RE model). Testing one now and it is as good as the original SE with an identical menus. This will be the one I will be recommending for newbies and anyone wanting a solid STB that just works right. Even has a North American satellite list! http://nc-electronics.com/minihdre.html
How does this handle the problem channels on 101w that the Amiko Mini HD SE sometimes has trouble with?

I use a 2 tb hard drive

Is the video about 1 GB/hr ? I may have to go with a flash drive until I can hopefully find a bargain on a hard drive on slickdeals. Other than storage capacity, does the flash drive perform equally as well as an external hard drive?

How does this handle the problem channels on 101w that the Amiko Mini HD SE sometimes has trouble with?
I would have to say it would be the same as the SE since the chip-set is identical.
I have been testing everything I can think of with this box for awhile now and I forgot all about this issue.
Right now the channels there seem to be playing fine.
Which channel or channels does it happen on the most?
I will do more testing.

Is the video about 1 GB/hr ? I may have to go with a flash drive until I can hopefully find a bargain on a hard drive on slickdeals. Other than storage capacity, does the flash drive perform equally as well as an external hard drive?
honestly i have yet to dvr anything, but i do use it for pausing live tv. I just used the 2 tb hard drive because walmart had a sale on them and i bought 4 or 5 of them. At 50 bucks a pop i figured i couldnt go wrong. I hooked 2 of them up to my network for network storage and automatic backups and use one for various things and had one as a "spare". do you need one that big no probably not but its what i had available. someone else that uses the linkbox to dvr could probably answer your question as to how much space differing recordings take.

I would have to say it would be the same as the SE since the chip-set is identical.
I have been testing everything I can think of with this box for awhile now and I forgot all about this issue.
Right now the channels there seem to be playing fine.
Which channel or channels does it happen on the most?
I will do more testing.
Channels affected were H & I, Movies! and Decades. At times they would come in fine with the ALI chipset boxes and other times they would not lock. Good to hear that 101w channels appear to be working ok now. :)

Ok that is the ones, I have playing now. Well did, going to turn in for the night. Just wanted to make we were on the same page. :)

Reactions: FTA4PA
What I did, was aim the main lnbf center to 103 then my second lnbf to 97w and my last lnbf to 91w, For me atleast it was easier for me to go from 103 to 91 rather then 91 center to 103 farthest. I am using a 76cm dish, I wish it was a little larger! :).. I was probly having line of site issues due to my trees! Ugg.
if I had a decent amount of money I would have 1 Dish per sat! That way you can enjoy the sweat spot for every sat you want to get in. My question is I seen on 30w a bunch of channels id like to get in,. Is it even possible in Tennessee area?

Reactions: kittyhas1000legs
Yes I have picked it up 30w I call it the big fish since its so hard to get. You must havea good line of sight for that satellite.

I do have a clear line of site to 30w, I tried it a month ago and I couldn't get anything with my tiny dish lol, but I was new to this so maybe with a bigger dish I should try again. A direct clear line of site to it and the hardest to get! It's kinda like having a row boat for the ocean! :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts