Full 2 hopper integration coming?

I can't believe those that think DISH should not progress with Hopper integration beyond what it is now.
nobody here is suggesting that it shouldn't evolve. Most of us just don't believe it's critical at this point and would like the option for it to work both ways depending on the household. I believe someone mentioned in another thread that DirecTV has a simple drop down to show everything combined or separate.

I was on the bandwagon for integration back when Dish claimed "seamless". However, after using it for the last 7 or 8 months it's not as important for our household anymore. I'd be happy with just viewing tuners between hoppers some day.

The hopper system as whole is stable, but there are still plenty of bugs and usability issues that could easily take priority.

Last edited:
I still think load-balancing of HDD space and tuners should at least be offered as an integration feature.

I can't believe those that think DISH should not progress with Hopper integration beyond what it is now. Walk to the other room to manage timers? Really? Suggest that managing conflicts on two seperate three tuner machines is easier than managing conflicts on one integrated 6 tuner system? Really?

That's not very "Let's watch TV" friendly.

The timer thing would be solved for me if they'd get the dish online web thing working. I prefer the web interface, but it is hugely flawed at the moment.

90% of the time I have to create a dummy timer just to get in, and then when I create a real timer the settings aren't what I've chosen. There's also a long delay before getting confirmation.

Last edited:
I thought that lack of OTA would have been a bigger problem - but it has mostly worked out pretty well. I previously had 2 722's with OTA on each for a total of 4 tuners per machine. I constantly had to maintain 2 identical timers lists if I wanted to be able to watch something specific in a specific room.

Now I have 2 hoppers with 3 tuners each. I have disabled PTAT in the bedroom, and only record non-primetime OTA type shows in that room (aka "cable channels), while in the living room I have PTAT enabled (for the big 4 TV network shows), and only record a few "cable channels".

By not recording any big 4 shows in the bedroom there is generally still one tuner available to watch something spur of the moment (aka the ability to switch channels), and by mostly only recording PTAT in the living room there are generally 2 tuners available for channel switching (as this unit has 2 joeys that demand tuners).

Yes - I still want OTA - mostly due to better picture quality for football, and to a lesser degree the sub-channels. It's also slightly better in bad weather.

And Yes - the ability to truly integrate those 5 tuners plus PTAT (or 7 & PTAT if I had OTA) would be HEAVENLY.

I know most customers don't go this far - but IMAGINE THE ADVERTISING DISH COULD HAVE (are you listening DIRT team?) if true seamless integration were a priority. Nothing else on the market comes close.

Bump...

Hey Scott,

What ever happened to the promised true multi hopper integration?

With the introduction of Hopper with Sling it seems like integration has gone to the back burner.

Many of us don't have a need in the world for sling, but want what was originally promised by Dish.

Give me a user interface that uses all of my tuners with one timers list & one easily navigable pool of recordings in one place.

Seems like not much to ask.....

I'm not so sure it was ever actually promised, was it? I remember them talking about it or at least we were assuming it. I think it's a little more complicated then we were expecting to accomplish and they may not be worrying about it as much as most people seem happy with their current set ups.

I can set timers on my laptop to both Hoppers and view all recordings from anywhere in the house. I for one do not want 1 big list.

It would be nice but it's not as bad as I thought it would be. As long as I can access my recordings from anywhere I'm happy.

I can set timers on my laptop to both Hoppers and view all recordings from anywhere in the house. I for one do not want 1 big list.

Me either. I record back-up recordings on the 2nd Hopper so 1 timer list would not work for me.

I would definitely welcome an option for an integrated approach. 3 sat tuners plus 1 ota tuner does NOT cut it for a decent amount of series/timers and 3 joey's plus the hopper. You can manage the 2nd hopper if you baby it every week but 6/8 tuners with the software controlling the timers and tuners for live TV would be a HUGE improvement in functionality. Having 3 sat and 1 optional ota tuner to handle all recording plus 4 potentially live viewings is not good. The hopper overall is great though aside from tuner limitations.

Last edited:
Thanx for the reply Scott.

So much for all the hype they talked about before the Hopper was the big deal it is today.....

Automatic tuner sharing would be a great leap forward.

It would still leave us stuck with the constant gyrations with the remote trying to see what is recorded on which box.

Every time we finish watching one program we have to go through a loop to see what is recorded where, that we want to watch next. In our house there are typically 6-8 shows recording at any one time on 2 different Hoppers.

Maybe we would not need multi hoppers if they would just have the option of more tuners in each unit.

I can almost guarantee that if they had full two hopper integration you would HATE it.

People would then learn how to properly learn how to use folders and most would not want to.

With the shared tuners coming you can access almost everything between hoppers (except External Hard Drive and the USB Off Air Tuner)

Since all the original talk of multiple Hopper integration, Dish came out with the Super Joey. That solves, or helps, the run-out-of-tuner issues at least. When a new customer "builds" an order and says they have "x" or more TVs, it will default to (1) Hopper, (1) Super Joey, and ? regular Joeys. Did it ever suggest (2) or more Hoppers or did it pop-up the "call Dish" prompt ? A Super Joey is no doubt cheaper than a Hopper too, so when Dish is providing them "free" up-front, they definitely have incentive to promote the Super Joey. If someone asks about more room for DVR recordings, I'll bet they suggest an external HDD before they say to add another Hopper.

And I hate to break it to people, I'm sure the number of multiple Hopper households is pretty minuscule so Dish will weigh the likely extensive software requirements, testing, etc, etc into whether or not they should do anything (more) along those lines.

I looked at the super joey - it would leave me with less tuners than I have now.

Would love to use folders - the software is so hard to figure out it isn't worth the effort. Had it down on my 922, but the hopper software is another world entirely. Hard to manipulate shows on my EHD too.

Again - constantly bouncing around menus & submenus with the remote is a PITA, and wears on the thumbs too...

I fully understand that they are "building to the masses" and not the power user.

I also believe that they are missing a great marketing opportunity by not having integrated software that automatically selects available tuners from any/all boxes and provides one pool (or options) of recorded programs to look through instead of hunting all over the place.

The search function is already integrating on demand with my dvr recordings as well as live tv from the guide.

Why not offer me that across boxes too?

Since all the original talk of multiple Hopper integration, Dish came out with the Super Joey. That solves, or helps, the run-out-of-tuner issues at least. When a new customer "builds" an order and says they have "x" or more TVs, it will default to (1) Hopper, (1) Super Joey, and ? regular Joeys. Did it ever suggest (2) or more Hoppers or did it pop-up the "call Dish" prompt ? A Super Joey is no doubt cheaper than a Hopper too, so when Dish is providing them "free" up-front, they definitely have incentive to promote the Super Joey. If someone asks about more room for DVR recordings, I'll bet they suggest an external HDD before they say to add another Hopper.

And I hate to break it to people, I'm sure the number of multiple Hopper households is pretty minuscule so Dish will weigh the likely extensive software requirements, testing, etc, etc into whether or not they should do anything (more) along those lines.

I think if Dish had retailers like myself doing their sales they'd end up with a lot more two Hopper installs. I don't the sales people at Dish do a very good job of selling the benefits of two Hoppers. They just ask the customer how many TVs they have, input that info into their computer and then read off what their computer suggests for a solution. Luckily the Super Joey has solved a lot of those problems now though.

I think if Dish had retailers like myself doing their sales they'd end up with a lot more two Hopper installs. I don't the sales people at Dish do a very good job of selling the benefits of two Hoppers. They just ask the customer how many TVs they have, input that info into their computer and then read off what their computer suggests for a solution. Luckily the Super Joey has solved a lot of those problems now though.
The issue is most of the people who answer the phone at DISH do not have DISH service. Many of them have not seen a Hopper other then what they saw in training. So they would never even think to suggest a second Hopper... although they are told to trust the system when it comes to equipment configuration. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)