Full time RSN's on Dish?

Just an FYI NESN SD was never gone during this for me. Others were? Maybe just on the Hopper?

Just an FYI NESN SD was never gone during this for me. Others were? Maybe just on the Hopper?

Yes, on my Hoppers with Sling and Joeys 2.0, all the SD feeds of all the RSN's disappeared yesterday when they went full-time HD..... All we could see in the Guide were the HD feeds listed, so after 3AM there were no program listings for any of the RSN's...

However, late today they opened up the SD feeds again so the Guide is now showing double program titles (SD, HD) so we can get listings from 3AM-11AM (ET)...

This should have happened on Friday next week. Then no one would have believed it.
0358E8113.gif

There goes my joke for next week... :)

Reactions: satjay
Yes, on my Hoppers with Sling and Joeys 2.0, all the SD feeds of all the RSN's disappeared yesterday when they went full-time HD..... All we could see in the Guide were the HD feeds listed, so after 3AM there were no program listings for any of the RSN's...

However, late today they opened up the SD feeds again so the Guide is now showing double program titles (SD, HD) so we can get listings from 3AM-11AM (ET)...

That was just a Hopper thing then, SD never really was taken down best I can tell.

Reactions: gpflepsen
That's not my point though. It was intimated early on that DISH took down (eliminated) the SD channels because HD was full time. I'm saying that never happened in your guide or not in your guide and the proof is I never lost the SD channel. I said it was a Hopper thing because that seems to be where the SD channels may have been temporarily hidden, thus the mistake that SD was no longer.
Beyond that I can't imagine many had only the HD version of their RSN in the guide when so much was only SD. And even beyond that... the RSN's are immune to the HD only setting..

Reactions: Troch77
That's not my point though. It was intimated early on that DISH took down (eliminated) the SD channels because HD was full time. I'm saying that never happened in your guide or not in your guide and the proof is I never lost the SD channel. I said it was a Hopper thing because that seems to be where the SD channels may have been temporarily hidden, thus the mistake that SD was no longer.
That was my point, that the ones reporting that the SD feeds were missing must have their guides set to hide SD duplicates. I imagine that those still using 8PSK SD receivers would be ticked off if Dish had actually taken away the SD feeds.

I can see we are going round and round on this.. LOL.... It seemed pandemic that the Hopper lost the SD versions for awhile, I could be wrong on that. But some reported DISH had taken down the SD version, not that they lost them. That is what I responded to, that they were never taken down. Why would someone say they lost the SD version when they have always had it set to not show anyway, and RSN's are not affected by HD only. (Unless on the Hopper HD only does affect the RSN's...)
In the end my response was to say the SD version was never taken down no matter how some came to that conclusion.... :)

Why would someone say they lost the SD version when they have always had it set to not show anyway, and RSN's are not affected by HD only. (Unless on the Hopper HD only does affect the RSN's...)
My understanding was that the HD Only guide setting did not hide the SD feeds of the RSNs because the HD feeds were only part-time. My guess was that when Dish made the HD feeds full time (most time?) they changed the flags on the channels so that the SD duplicates would be hidden. Dish apparently reversed that change, according to the Hopper users who posted in this thread. I was thinking that this change would have affected every HD receiver, though. (If in fact that is what Dish did.)

My understanding was that the HD Only guide setting did not hide the SD feeds of the RSNs because the HD feeds were only part-time. My guess was that when Dish made the HD feeds full time (most time?) they changed the flags on the channels so that the SD duplicates would be hidden. Dish apparently reversed that change, according to the Hopper users who posted in this thread. I was thinking that this change would have affected every HD receiver, though. (If in fact that is what Dish did.)

Yes, I agree with your theory that DISH changed the flags on Wednesday to hide SD duplicates when they turned on the full-time RSN HD feeds.....However, when the overnight HD black-outs showed up at 3AM (ET). the DISH Engineers realized they had screwed up by now also blocking the SD programming which needed to be available while HD was off.... Thus, late Thursday they turned on again the SD duplicates...

Tampa8's theory is that these flags were only turned on in the Hoppers because he never lost his SD duplicates on Wednesday afternoon....Is that technically possible ???

Nonetheless, we would not be having any SD/ HD issue here if DISH didn't keep these ridiculous overnight 8-hour HD black-outs.... By keeping the blackouts we're forced to have 25 RSN's with SD duplicates even though they're full-time HD.... No setting in the Guide can get rid of them !

Can someone here explain why DISH needs to bring down these HD feeds every night ??? Do they need to re-charge the Transponder batteries ? (joke).... I mean, we're not in the early days of HD anymore !

Yes, I agree with your theory that DISH changed the flags on Wednesday to hide SD duplicates when they turned on the full-time RSN HD feeds.....However, when the overnight HD black-outs showed up at 3AM (ET). the DISH Engineers realized they had screwed up by now also blocking the SD programming which needed to be available while HD was off.... Thus, late Thursday they turned on again the SD duplicates...

Tampa8's theory is that these flags were only turned on in the Hoppers because he never lost his SD duplicates on Wednesday afternoon....Is that technically possible ???

Nonetheless, we would not be having any SD/ HD issue here if DISH didn't keep these ridiculous overnight 8-hour HD black-outs.... By keeping the blackouts we're forced to have 25 RSN's with SD duplicates even though they're full-time HD.... No setting in the Guide can get rid of them !

Can someone here explain why DISH needs to bring down these HD feeds every night ??? Do they need to re-charge the Transponder batteries ? (joke).... I mean, we're not in the early days of HD anymore !
very good question to ask i am wondering why also they need to turn off the rsns everynight.they should be 24/7

Every night when the RSN's were only HD for games, they took down the HD feeds overnight and they were "off air" and you received the routine maintenance error. They didn't leave the slate that said "HD Programming not available - check the SD channel for programming." I am by no means an expert and I am oversimplifying, but my guess is that there are some left over settings somewhere that the HD RSN's are scheduled to come down on the daily basis and those weren't removed when the full time HD RSN's were activated. I had multi-sport pack back when PAC12 network went from part time HD to a full time HD RSN and the same thing happened. It took multiple days to remove that overnight issue.

Scott has hinted that Dish isn't finished with this maneuver yet, so perhaps them going off-air between 2AM and 10AM is only temporary.

Last edited:
Allen, I think you just earned a spot at the head table for finding this one.

As for Directv, the only reason for me contemplating switching is now debunked. Dish offically has more of what I want than Directv.

With having HD RSNs, they have
EPIX
SiriusXM Music
Autohop (for now)
Prefer Red Zone to Sunday Ticket

I can't answer that from a technical viewpoint, but there is a difference in how the Hopper handles RSN's compared to the other DISH receivers. There is no nesting on the other receivers so that alone represents something different in how the software gets the channel to the guide. The uplink report at the other site (credit James Long) shows a different uplink for Hoppers noting the nesting, and I do not see anywhere that SD was ever taken down.
In addition there are posts that I answered of people with Hoppers who were not getting the games they were supposed to and getting a refresh on the account seemed to be the answer but I did not see those posts from VIP posters.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)