Funny things folks have said about your FTA system

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Since we moved out in the country big dishes far and few in between. Besides mine I have only seen one other one and it is about 2 miles up the road. By guessing it is a 12 footer that has not been used in awhile because it's pointed to the northwest. I have had a couple people stop and ask me about mine and one said "Why do you still have it. that fad went out in the 80s." An older gentleman stopped and told me he still his 8 footer, but it was down and in the barn. He said he took it down because it didn't work anymore. I took him in and showed him my set up and how it operated and he said "that's to complicated for me."

Also, I have been ask if I have any hobbies. I say "yes, I track satellites" and come back is usually "you what?"

I always wanted to hook up a bunch of dtv dishes with some string to a windshield wiper motor and switch and when folks get too close flip the switch and let the dishes rotate back and forth :D

I've had generally good responses - more honest curiosity than dumb questions or flippant people:

1) Are The Winnipeg Blue Bombers on tonight? (my Canadian friend)
2) Can you get Channel 41 on there? (the local Ion/Qubo channel that doesn't come in great in MSP)
3) Iranian News in English? But they don't speak that over there! (discussing the 9/11 Truther garbage they aired all day)
4) So, how much [x-rated material] do you get?

What ticks me off is that is usually what I hear when people see all the dishes.....They all think I am getting all Dishnetwork for free, in other words I'm hacking. :mad:

Same here. They just don't understand. Too bad they're not more tech savvy.

My Aunt: "Do you get something on those things"
Me: "300 channels"
My Aunt: " " (silence)
Me: :)

She is not the first to say something like that. Its almost an insult implying you put them up simply for lawn decoration. Seriously, four dishes pointed at the sky and you think they do nothing. :rolleyes:

300 channels? Are you only pointing all 4 of them at 97W or something, KU band? I mean there's almost 300 chs on that bird alone. And that's not even counting the radio channels. Didn't you mean to tell her thousands of channels instead? :)

I started out with OTA and a 20 foot pole on top of my house, you should had seen my neighbor watching me everything I done.
Then I planted my pole for my c band dish. He came down the driveway and watched me sitting in his truck wondering what the pole was for .
When I was ready to put my dish on the the pole, He was at his balcony and talking to his family a soon as I had the dish mounted he was whispering since the dish was pointed at his balcony at the time. I guess he thought I would listen to his conversation with the dish.

My brother in-law...." can you watch TV with this thing ? "
me :D ,
My brother in-law...." but it is so big, outdated and old "
me " my new 36'' flat screen TV and my wallet don't mind "

5 month later.......
Brother in-law " can you help me find a dish or help me set a dish up, will it work with an older TV "
Wife '' I love it. We should had done this years ago, instead giving money to the charter cable and dish network "
Son " Now I can watch the sports and shows I love and want"
me " I am happy everyone likes it, thank you guys here at satelliteguys."

My mother after seeing my collection of equipement, "I think its time you grow up".
My girlfriend, "you should really listen to your mother".
Older colleague "you know you're showing your age by using that thing"
Friend "what the hell is that?"

Cheers, K

So is she still your GF?

My neighbor thinks I'm crazy when I work on the dish farm at night during the summer. Hey its not as hot then

If he's outside and I'm up there and hears a clang then swearing he usually says "do I need to be worried"?
nope...just dropped the wrench. That makes a clang when it falls off the roof. I make a thud

Thats a real pain in the arse when am on the roof and a tool falls off. My age and laziness, going up and down the ladder doesnt mix too well. Just this past sunday I could feel the roof starting to give in.

Time to hit the gym

Cheers, K

You can get hurt walking down the sidewalk or doing anything. Who cares what the neighbors or relatives think? It's your life, you aren't doing anything illegal, so tell them to get bent!

THEY are the ones that have little lives, and aren't even aware of the FTA world open all around them! Everybody needs a hobby, and this one is one of the best...

Thats a real pain in the arse when am on the roof and a tool falls off. My age and laziness, going up and down the ladder doesnt mix too well.
my neighbor is nice enough to throw it back up on the roof for me if he is out

Just this past sunday I could feel the roof starting to give in.
I know where to walk on my roof and where not to ;)

I had one neighbor ask me if I had the dishes, so that I could "work from home".

And some random stranger walking by one day asked me if I could use another satellite dish, I said sure.... then I realized he was mocking my dish farm. :eek:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)