Future of C-Band Paid Programming

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
It was an article from NPR. It said that 966,000 people canceled (not reduced) their subscriptions from cable and satellite. They said that a large part were millennials going to Netflix or watching shows on their phones. They said that ESPN took a big hit from people reducing their packages.

I keep hearing many people around here dumping cable due to the cost and only watching 2 or 3 different channels out of all of them. It does make economic sense in many cases to cut the cord.
Keeping up the dish farm here has allowed us to view some interesting television all of which is FTA.
May not have cable programing but our needs are met for tv viewing pleasure.

Reactions: norman881
I get my clear unblocked southern exposure back in the backyard of new house in 2 weeks. Last 6 years in current house I was pretty much blocked by 4 beautiful 40ft trees, that I will miss on hot summer days.

Will need to get new receiver and bring the 84e and 1m primestar dishes out of mothballs. Might get away with the CBAND dish too, but gonna start small as I have enough to do with the move.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Reactions: norman881
I wish I knew how to hook up the free to the air satellite receiver that I have and the dish

Start a new thread and post a couple pics of the dish and the name and model number of the receiver...the group here will have you up and going pretty quick if the components you have are usable.

And if they are not usable we will let you know what you need, to get an FTA system in operation.

Reactions: KE4EST
Between Ku, C, and OTA, I believe we have the best package anyone can hope for. With the right OTA antenna, I can now get a ALL the local channels on the back side of the transmitters (mountain) and that is saying a lot cause my neighbors are paying thru the nose to get what I get for free. Ku is receiving some great feeds, and pretty soon we hope to get two C-band dishes commissioned before the snow starts dropping in.

buddies story
I've got a 19 year old son. Engineering student at university.
When I put a TV antenna on the roof last year, he said "is this even remotely legal?" He was serious

I have seen that so often. People pay for local television even in an area where a coat hanger gets good reception!
What do you get for your money? Popups on screen during program, insolently large LOGO getting ever closer to the center of the screen, commercials often more entertaining than the program and
endless marathons. All available for free OTA, And show them the OTA picture and they say it is fantastic. Show them how easy it is to hook up an OTA antenna and they stare at you slack jawed with glazed over eyes.

As far as hooking up an FTA satellite receiver there is so much on the internet that if you don't know how and really want to you just simply never tried to find out.

Reactions: madmadworld
I've got a 19 year old son. Engineering student at university.
When I put a TV antenna on the roof last year, he said "is this even remotely legal?" He was serious

It is sadly the culture of today's youth.
Most have been brought up on cable tv that they have forgotten or overlooked that OTA is still there.
Something that has been hidden by the big cable co's.
Some areas now have enough OTA that cutting the cord makes economic sense.
Having a BUD is even better when you can find just about whatever you want at any time of the day all for free.

I live 45 miles North of Los Angeles. Where I live in the Santa Clarita Valley, there's absolutely nothing OTA. Since the beginning of time, the local Cable Companies, DISH and DIRECTV have made a literal fortune out here. Although I don't watch it myself, I have DISH for my kids. For me personally, I can find everything I want to watch on FTA. Will C-Band die some day .... maybe. But I look at it this way, Networks have got a ton of money invested in C-Band and I don't think they're gonna just give it up so easily. Everyones on a tight budged nowadays, so why dump the dish in favor of fiber? My Father-In-Law who lives 25 miles away can get 80 channels OTA (I set that up for him). I'd like to at least be able to get my local channels over here. However, the local channels haven't found us worthy to make it happen. I used to get KTLA Channel 5 on C-Band but it's scrambled now. IMHO, I do think that we're at the point of saturation regarding what Cable Companies, DISH and DIRECTV can charge. I hear people complaining about it all the time. Even myself, paying $120 a month is allot so that my kids can watch cartoons. I love FTA, it's free and there's pleanty of good stuff to watch. If it's all gone some day, I guess I'll have to fire up the DHD and gate to another planet.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts