FYI Signal Problems Tonight

Headline--Centennial, Colorado

4:21 Mountain time. Everything looks back to normal.
Satellite signal quality 52
Off Air signal quality 68
Satellite signal power 60
Off Air signal power 44

No breakups, pixelation, drop-outs.

Sun Spots

I doubt that it was sun spots. When sun spots occur you will lose your satellite signal anywhere from 1 min to 30 min depending on intensity then your signal will be right back where it was. Here we are simply getting low signal levels due to a problem with their satellite.

Bill

Sunspots, I was told solar flares. Either way, why would that only effect certain channels? Oh and how are they working on fixing the "sunspot" problem?

If there was all these solar problems why would Dish customers not be seeing a lot of these problem as 61.5? The Dishnetwork satellite operates at less than half the signal strength of VOOM's satellite.

These problems sound more like compression hardware on the ground. They are trying to squeeze all these channels in, and are probabably trying to balance the transponder load. All the channels changing to 720p vs 1080i points to this. 720p compresses a *lot* better than 1080i.

Remember VOOM is doing something that DIRECTV and Dishnetwork have not done before. With all this HDTV and so few transponders, they need state of the art equipment to combine the channels and balance compression as needed. This is pretty new stuff, and the hardware on the ground is probably very untested and needs a lot of work. As they add more channels they probably have to tighten up any slack that they might have. They still have more promised HDTV to come.

They are probably staying up late working with their vendors trying to get the compression hardware bugs fixed.

I just checked a couple of minutes ago. I am getting a satellite signal strength of 73 and signal quality of 73 on my 30" dish here in cloudy West Michigan.

Seanb61 said:
Please tell me when All the channels went to 720p? This is not correct.

After re-reading my post I can see where the confusion came from. The "All" I meant for 720p was not that every HDTV channel on VOOM was HDTV but "all" the channels that are currently in 720p because of encoder problems: cinema 10 channels + monsters + Epics (list from one of Sean's posts http://www.satelliteguys.us/showpost.php?p=71013&postcount=3 ).

My Signal

as of 6:55AM CST my Siganl Power was 54 and my Signal Quality is 43

This is down from what I was getting on Monday when my system was installed.

Bill

Quality

Jeff said:
How is the quality with Voom?

Are Signals always that low?

No Voom's quality is great! Normal Signal power is usually in the 50''s as well as signal quality being in the 50's. There are several people who get larger #'s but anything in the 50's is great. My normal #'s are 56 for Signal Power and 54 for Signal quality. Voom was having a problem with power so the numbers we much lower. They are fixing the problem.

Bill

It Might

Jeff said:
What about using a DTV AU2 pointed at the 61.5 Maybe that will increase your sig.

jeff,

It might. But I can't get the Voom installer to put in a different dish. They will only install Voom's dish.

Bill

Videofx said:
as of 6:55AM CST my Siganl Power was 54 and my Signal Quality is 43

This is down from what I was getting on Monday when my system was installed.

Bill

Mine is still down as well. I'm still in the low 40's, and usually get 50's! I've called VOOM, and they're saying it shouldn't be that low. They're going to send someone out here *next weekend* to try to repeak the dish. :rolleyes: Even though I know this isn't the problem!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts