FYI Signal Problems Tonight

Vince2

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 3, 2004
Portland, OR
A little help needed with signal quality

Finally got somebody who could install Voom yesterday, but signal quality is only in 25-35 range. We tweeked and tweeked but that looks like the best I can get from the dish. When it gets near 25 (like this morning), I lose many channels. What should I do? Would a larger dish help? Which one and where do I get it? Is there an amplifier available?
Now the other problem: for OTA local channels, the signal quality is a dismal 18, and that is with the provided stealth antenna (no diplexer). Hence, only one of the stations comes in (dispite others being mapped). I'm only 3 miles from the tower, but it's on the other side of the hill. I feel I should still be able to get them. I rotated the stealth around without any improvement. Suggestions?

Wait until tomorrow. There has been a lot of reports of low signal satellite quality today. V* is working on this.

My satellite channels were freaking out so I called VOOM to see if it was on their end or my end. The CSR said that they are experiencing system wide problems and they are unsure what it is. He said hopefully the problem will work itself out by morning and if not to call back. Is anyone not having a problem?

I'm getting really low satellite quality in the teens and 20's -- usually around 40. It's unwatchable so I'm stuck with OTA channels tonight.

I'm seriously considering switching to Dish or DirecTV. Evrytime something happens I think hey they'll get it taken care of -- just wait and see. But then something else happens. I was going to wait to see if DirecTV offered a deal on the DirecTivo but I might just jump early.

Low signal here in KY. Can't hardly watch Spongebob... I mean the McNeil report. Signal down to low 20s with many dropouts.

Signal Quality

Same here low signal, picture breakup. I have a friend who just had Voom installed today and lives downstate (250 miles south) of me. He is having the same problem, we were talking on the phone and experiencing picture breakups at the same time.

Same here. Dish has snow and was in the 14 sat quality when I got home. Did a reboot and waited for about 30 minutes and got signal between 20 - 37 depending on which channel you are watching. HDnews has a signal quality of 37 with no breakups.

The other channels like Bravo-hd experience low sat quality. Discovery-HD is coming fine.

Problems
Starz-hd 262 & 261
TMC-HD
Show-HD 242 steady.
show-hd 241 steady

I got a lock up while changing channels.

discovery hd was breaking up a little bit earlier, now everything is good.

~30 miles east of Atlanta, GA

edit: bravo hd looks good as well

This has been the worse I have seen. The snow in NYC was not even close to be a big storm and I know that in other storms I did not lose the signal except when the dish was filled with ice.

In Buffalo, snowing out with 8" on the ground (had to share the misery)....signal 37-50 w/ minor pixelation.

Bill

Vince2 said:
Finally got somebody who could install Voom yesterday, but signal quality is only in 25-35 range. We tweeked and tweeked but that looks like the best I can get from the dish. When it gets near 25 (like this morning), I lose many channels. What should I do? Would a larger dish help? Which one and where do I get it? Is there an amplifier available?
Now the other problem: for OTA local channels, the signal quality is a dismal 18, and that is with the provided stealth antenna (no diplexer). Hence, only one of the stations comes in (dispite others being mapped). I'm only 3 miles from the tower, but it's on the other side of the hill. I feel I should still be able to get them. I rotated the stealth around without any improvement. Suggestions?

Same problem here today. Signal 23-24. Picture pixelating and dropping out.

It is clear sky In Houston tonight, but signal quality is only around 35 (usually 50) w/ pixelation, picture freeze and sound lost, time to time.

I was told by the CSR I spoke with that it is sunspots and they are working on it. Should be taken care of by tomorrow she said. It was a relief to me because I just got installed and thought it was specific to my installation.

Vince2 said:
I was told by the CSR I spoke with that it is sunspots and they are working on it. Should be taken care of by tomorrow she said. It was a relief to me because I just got installed and thought it was specific to my installation.

Well it's 1 am pacific standard time, and VOOM signals are still very weak for me. There in the upper 20's, and I'm usually in the 50's! I sure hope it's fixed tomorrow. :no

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)