FyreTV BETA is officially underway!

Well the generic correct answer is for "future proofing". CAT5 has already been on the way out in favor of CAT6's improved throughput; the same goes for the newer specs. I would never recommend installing the oldest/lowest spec. or getting the highest/newest either.

So to your 2nd question: Why lock in at the lowest spec currently on its way out ? Be ahead of the curve to save possible time, money and headaches down the road; think ahead IMHO; but most people buy for the bottom line price of today's market, which is OK.

I myself would not want to re-wire or upgrade again and again. Same reason I always run dedicated 2" conduit on the first wall, attic or basement cable run and I will always have easy access to add lines; and I generally always run at least one extra cable per each type for easy expansion; CAT, phone, RG6, component, HDMI, etc. Depending on the application.

I would also make sure to buy shielded cables; and in-wall rated.

Unshielded and shielded twisted pair cabling standards

* Cat 1: Currently unrecognized by TIA/EIA. Previously used for POTS telephone communications, ISDN and doorbell wiring.
* Cat 2: Currently unrecognized by TIA/EIA. Previously was frequently used on 4 Mbit/s token ring networks.
* Cat 3: Currently defined in TIA/EIA-568-B, used for data networks using frequencies up to 16 MHz. Historically popular for 10 Mbit/s Ethernet networks.
* Cat 4: Currently unrecognized by TIA/EIA. Provided performance of up to 20 MHz, and was frequently used on 16 Mbit/s token ring networks.
* Cat 5: Currently unrecognized by TIA/EIA. Provided performance of up to 100 MHz, and was frequently used on 100 Mbit/s ethernet networks. May be unsuitable for 1000BASE-T gigabit ethernet.
* Cat 5e: Currently defined in TIA/EIA-568-B. Provides performance of up to 100 MHz, and is frequently used for both 100 Mbit/s and gigabit ethernet networks.
* Cat 6: Currently defined in TIA/EIA-568-B. It provides performance of up to 250 MHz, more than double category 5 and 5e.
* Cat 6a: Future specification for 10 Gbit/s applications.
* Cat 7: An informal name applied to ISO/IEC 11801 Class F cabling. This standard specifies four individually-shielded pairs (STP) inside an overall shield. Designed for transmission at frequencies up to 600 MHz.

Last edited:
Did you guys get your emails yet? Asking for your address and CC info? If not, you were not selected in the 1st batch of beta testers. This was separate from the beta signup email confirmations.

Did you guys get your emails yet? Asking for your address and CC info? If not, you were not selected in the 1st batch of beta testers. This was separate from the beta signup email confirmations.

Estefano said for the ones did not get a email to let him know and he would take care of it. But i have emailed lots of times with no reply if i did not get picked let me know. i have no problem with that i have emailed him my address but cc no one said anything about that.:)

OK, then we are talking about 2 different things. You emailed to get into the beta testing; but if you have not yet received ANOTHER email asking for your CC info, then you did not make it into the 1st round of testers. He said he was busy processing that 1st batch and would get others as he could after that.

I signed up a long time ago, first or second day I think they offered it. I picked it up off a Euro IT news website.

I PM'd Estefano so hopefully I'll hear something.

Oh and the whole house is wired with Cat 6 :)

still haven't received a pm. When did you send it? I sent one yesterday
You won't prolly receive a pm here from E. If he read your pm you sent to him, you should receive an email at the email addy you initially signed up with at the fyretv site. I did. If you didn't pm him your signup email addy for the link at fyretv then you are prolly below the IQ level that they are looking for as beta testers and you won't get a box.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)