G* and Bob Jones Homesat?

profg

Jul 6, 2007
Can Glorystar work with the BJU "Homesat" system on Galaxy 26 (satellite is located over the equator south of Shreveport, LA)? We're looking at subscribing to it for our homeschool, and it would be great if we could get G* and Homesat without putting up two big ol' dishes. Anyone know?

Here's their FAQ:
Equipment

BG

Wescopc

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 11, 2005
Canby, Oregon
The Glory Star system will not work with the BJU system. You could install a T-90 (Home of Toroidal Dish) dish - but that would be over kill. I would suggest two separate systems ie 2 dishes and 2 receivers.
Bob

Glorystar1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 28, 2007
Roseville, California
Bob is right about the current system. If you wait about a month, we will be selling a DVR compatible receiver with a card slot to accept the Bob Jones subscription card. Simply install the system for Glorystar and add a 4x1 DiSEqC switch and a second dish (or rig a mount for a third LNBF onto the single dish) for Galaxy 26 then scan the bird. Insert your subscription card and connect a USB hard drive to record the classes.

You will want to turn off the OTA auto updating feature so the receiver will not automatically manage your satellites and channel list. When you are no longer home schooling or during summer breaks, activate the OTA updating for all new firmware, features and channel lists to be updated on the receiver.

profg

Jul 6, 2007
Bob is right about the current system. If you wait about a month, we will be selling a DVR compatible receiver with a card slot to accept the Bob Jones subscription card. Simply install the system for Glorystar and add a 4x1 DiSEqC switch and a second dish (or rig a mount for a third LNBF onto the single dish) for Galaxy 26 then scan the bird. Insert your subscription card and connect a USB hard drive to record the classes.

You will want to turn off the OTA auto updating feature so the receiver will not automatically manage your satellites and channel list. When you are no longer home schooling or during summer breaks, activate the OTA updating for all new firmware, features and channel lists to be updated on the receiver.

Awesome, Glorystar1!

(I assume the person I get to install this stuff will know what the heck you just said, right?) :)

rv1pop

SatelliteGuys Pro
Awesome, Glorystar1!

(I assume the person I get to install this stuff will know what the heck you just said, right?) :)

LOL... If you need to get some one else to install your system, make sure they do before they come out. OTHERWISE == You are on the right website to BE the installer. You will have all the help you need. If you can teach homeschool you can install a Glorystar system, and once you get that up and running, then adding the extra dish and LNBF will go fine also.

The only extra thing I would do is get Glorystar to send you the 4X1 switch in place of the 2X1 that is in the package. I personally would get a second dish for the extra Sat., if you have room to mount it. But, I would look for a free FTA dish, while getting the the Glorystar set up. (I have been given two so far!)

Home schoolers have a great helping network.You are on the website of the home-FTA setup school network!

POP (pround parent of a homeschool a mom and co-ordinator.)

Last edited:

profg

Jul 6, 2007
Thanks, POP. I don't know where we'd put one big Ku dish, much less two. We have a very small yard, but if it can be attached to the roof or the side of the house, that might work OK. We have two DISH dishes up right now, to get DISH network and SkyAngel. They're in the one spot that actually works for those satellites. Where is G* and BJU's satellites in comparison?

rv1pop

SatelliteGuys Pro
SkyAngel is going away at the end of the month, so that slot should be available... Very likely, you can just remove the dish bracket from the mount and put the new dish on it! I do not know the signal strength of Bob Jones, but Iceberg didnot seem to discourage you about a 3rd lnb, so it might be a workable situation. He seems to work magic along multi lnbs.

RedSavina

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Aug 19, 2005
Groton, CT
The Bob Jones dishes are FTA ("Fortec") size. Of course, the point is moot with Bob Jones' recent announcement that they are ending satellite transmission soon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts