trinidex

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 16, 2004
My G1 reception is very weak.

On G1-3 my Quality varies between 0 and 26

I have tried everything (don't we all say that!) including:

:Testing at the dish with new coax from LNBf to receiver (to eliminate cable run problems)
:Adjusting f/d
:Adjusting skew manually (LNBf twisted by hand)
:Sat alignment (up/down/left/right)
:Begging, pleading

What I don't understand ('cos I understand everything-not!) is that the quality varies , just when you think you've got it, BAM, it drops to nil, then comes back.

The dish is a 10ft mesh.

Last edited:
Myself I'd try another feedhorn...like a Chaparral CoRotor or just a plain C Band feedhorn to see if the symptoms change. At least this will rule out LNBF out.

I am in the same boat you're in, as far as the G1 issues. From my understanding from Iceberg, G1 3 is for EPG downloading and remapping. There is another satellite to do just remapping.
G1 3 never have a DC lite and 151 flickers sometimes.

Just for fun, I swung my 10 foot Orbitron to G1 to check it out. I found G1-3 had a green lite with quality of 94. I then checked out G1-151 and found a 99 quality. I went down to the HBO channels and found a 75 quality. HBO has always been a little lower. Can you pick up the Arts channel (G1-5, analog)? That was coming in strong. Are you picking up the W5 channels or are they also weak? Is it only the DCII channels or also the analog channels you're having a problems with? If its a problem all the time on all satellites, have you considered a bad lnbf? If its only a problem on G1, that sounds like a los or alignment problem. Good luck.

I'm only having problems with G1 all other sats are coming in just fine.

I have a feedhorn with polarizer kicking around somewhere, I'll try and swap the LNBf with that to see if I can skew my way to better reception.

The thing that I don't understand is that it varies so much, that's what is confusing to me. I use a "Canary" to tune my dish (yellow box that fits between the LNB and receiver that screams to tell you when you're on a sat). With it connected I can hear the signal drop off and come back, it's almost like there is some obstruction or other interference - maybe noise for shrubs and trees - time to get the chainsaw out!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts