G10R Reception in Rochester and Buffalo, NY area

Status
Please reply by conversation.

hantu

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Sep 2, 2005
Rochester, NY
Is anyone out there in the Rochester or Buffalo, NY area? If so, how is your reception of G10R?

I will be putting my dish on the garage roof later this week and I am looking forward to hitting G10R. With my 90cm dish on the ground, mounted on a board/patio block setup and manufacturer-supplied mast, I am doing fine with 76W - 105W, but there are far too many neighbors with trees and whatnot to hit 123W at this point. I am confident that raising the dish a couple of dozen feet in the air will help me with that problem.

Are the transponders on G10R reasonably strong? For 79W - 97W with my ground-level setup, I am receiving quality in the 90's. If I get 60's or 70's out of G10R, I'll be thrilled.

Thanks to everyone! This site has been tremendously helpful with hardware selection, setup and channels to surf in the FTA world. Lookin' forward to readin' and postin' in the future! -Cheers!

Hello and WELCOME to the SatelliteGuys.US FTA Forum :welcome

Hopefully when you move your dish you will pick up the G10R satellite, keep us posted. We would love to see any pictures if you have them!

I am getting siganl quality of between 70 and 99% on G10R

Well I am close to your area-about 90 miles south of Buffalo. Most of the programming there is on two transponders I believe. I get one better than the other and occasionally get signal breakup on the weaker TP, at least lately. But most of the time it is good. But I am only running a 76 cm dish too so with a 90 you should be good.

Thanks for the info. I'd have the dish on the roof already, but between watching Yankees games and not having anyone available to keep an eye on me on the roof this weekend, I figured it was better to wait until this week. Someone has to be able to call 911, right?

I will post a photo of the "prototype" setup and one of the finished install whenever that happens.

In my initial post, I forgot to thank the folks at Sadoun. My package system arrived in two days (ordered late Tuesday night, received Friday @ 9:30AM) and everything seems to be working "fine and dandy" right out of the box. I will definitely purchase from them in the future. Thanks again.

I live in Batavia. G10R comes in great for me. I have a 1m dish and invacom .3 lnb. I've never even properly peaked my dish and I receive every tp listed on lyngsat for G10R. Even The Tube comes in without issues.
I just recently helped install a 90cm dish for a friend in Holley(about halfway between Buffalo and Rochester) He is using a 90 cm from sadoun and the .4 universal lnb that came with it. His set-up pulls in quality numbers close to mine! Most are in the 65-80% quality range using a fortec ultra lifetime receiver. The Tube is weaker and is usually around 60%, which is fine. The two stations from Arkansas(upn and Fox I believe) are maxed out at 99% quality.
Good luck!

I live in London Ontario which is close enough to Buffalo to pick up WGR 550 AM (!!) Anyhow, I have a 76cm dish with a .6db lnb and I can get G10R with signal quality at 99 for tp 12114. Overall, everything on G10R is viewable for me with quality between 30 and 56 typically. So for your setup, it will be no problem. For pics of my setup, do a search here for "My FTA Oddessy". One note: the elevation for me was about 35 degrees, not 25 as most online calcs indicate.

beaverdown, another canuck eh!!! Well I'm in Toronto with a winegard dish and 0.6DB lnb. Ordered my new extreme lnb from PSB today so will test when it arrives. My current setup gives me a poor signal for G10R. If this does not help, I will be forced to update my dish, but hey deluxe music is here for now.

How big is your dish? My understanding was that smaller winegard dishes outperformed larger no-name brands. Do you have any trees in the way? A big difference for me was playing with the LNB...maybe that's old news for you. I went from 30% to 99% just by pushing the LNB in the cradle away from the dish.

Also, I think you'll meet many canucks (and usanucks :D ) involved with FTA over time. It really is an addiction. My system has been up for about 2 weeks and I'm already trying to justify spending more $$ on gear. Maybe we should change FTA to mean "Far Too Addictive"?

beaverdown said:
It really is an addiction. My system has been up for about 2 weeks and I'm already trying to justify spending more $$ on gear. Maybe we should change FTA to mean "Far Too Addictive"?

Well said! Welcome to SatelliteGuys :welcome

Thank you to everyone who has posted. I am feeling far more confident about getting G10R to come in with a good signal. I have one tree to contend with, but if, as beaverdown states, the elevation is actually higher than what is listed, I should be good to go for a few years until the tree gets tall enough to potentially cause problems.

I will be putting the dish up on the roof tonight or tomorrow night. I still owe PSB a pic of the "prototype", and I will make sure I capture the finished install (avatar, maybe?) when I get off the ladder. I will make sure to supply signal reports, too. You guys are all helping me, I should try to help the next guy who reads this thread by supplying data, right?

"Far To Addictive"........I'll have to remember that one.

Cheers!

I'd like to ask here if anyone is getting the infamous 11720 transponder with The Tube with reasonable quality, stable during morning hours in the Canadian west or the US northwest? I think I've done my best in terms of hardware - QPH-031 0.3dB LNB, 1 meter Winegard dish, Pansat 3500s, peaked the dish some time ago on this sat, and still can't watch that tp in the mornings - 10-15% quality. Later in the afternoon it goes to 25-32%, and later in the eveneng starst jumping wildly from 15 to 30%, often breaking the sound. Before I continue to investigate further, I'd like to hear at least one assurance from somebody close to my area - Calgary, Alberta - that there can be better reception. Even the conclusion that this area of North America is a blind spot for this transponder would bring some kind of closure :)

This is the footprint for G10...

Attachments

• galaxy10r_ku_band.pdf
    115 KB · Views: 176
Thanks for the map, questic!
Do you have any idea which of these circles would be the 11720 tp footprint? I can't really figure that out. I see that my location falls on the G contour of both H and V streams. But almost all of the other transponders come in very strong, while The Tube goes from weak to very weak.

I have a very basic understanding of these charts, but I think all the transponders in the North American Beam are included in the graphic. The rings tell you the strength of the beam at your location.

Someone chime in if I'm wrong...

11720 happens to be the most trivial TP up there. I am in the "A" section and I get 60-70% on Pansat and 71-73% on Coolsat.

Sometimes G10 11720 needs a "hip-check" or a "bump" east or west on the motor to get the best signal quality.

I'm in London Ontario and mine fluctuates between 20 and 36. I've never checked in the morning...maybe its worse. If you are getting 32, that's probably as good as it gets. Definitely agree with Maddawg, that tp is too low. Its also a piss off considering 12114 is 96-99%.

This subject has been mentioned and explained before

The reason 11720 is low is because Dish has a 11724 V transponder on Dish 121 satellite that is more powerful than the 11720 one, so that’s why we have low signal.. There is no 11800 or 12114 V TP’s on 121. (there is a 11797 on 121 but its H polarity)

There was a thread on this a while back but I can’t find it right now :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)