Gadget Demographics: Who Owns What?

diogen

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 16, 2007
Six age groups, 7+1 gadgets: favorite gadgets of different age groups
Baby boomers buy e-readers, teens tout iPods: Pew survey reveals gadget demographics

try2.jpg

Diogen.

I don't think any of this comes as a shock. I would have like to seen it broken down into smartphones though. An 18 year old with a brand new Droid shouldn't be in the same category as 80 year old Grandma Mable and her Jitterbug. The laptop v desktop numbers are also not surprising. We are a mobile society and I firmly believe in the not too distant future, desktops will be all but extinct in the home market except for high end gaming rigs and the HTPC market. eBook readers and Tablets are really too new but you can see where the trend is going.

25 year old here with Cell Phone, Desktop, iPod and Game Console. As soon as Windows 7 SP1 RTM comes out I’ll have a laptop, and as soon as a decent Android based tablet comes out I’ll have one as well. No interest in an eReader. I would also like to see adaption stats for HDTVs, 3DTVs, Blu Ray and in home WIFI.

...desktops will be all but extinct in the home market
I have a hard time to imagine what will make me exchange my desktop with two 24" 1080 monitors for a laptop or anything else.

But then again, my kids are older than you...

Diogen.

I have a hard time to imagine what will make me exchange my desktop with two 24" 1080 monitors for a laptop or anything else.

Diogen.

But then again as you get older you need a bigger display as ones eye sight fails :eek:

I don't think any of this comes as a shock. I would have like to seen it broken down into smartphones though. An 18 year old with a brand new Droid shouldn't be in the same category as 80 year old Grandma Mable and her Jitterbug. The laptop v desktop numbers are also not surprising. We are a mobile society and I firmly believe in the not too distant future, desktops will be all but extinct in the home market except for high end gaming rigs and the HTPC market. eBook readers and Tablets are really too new but you can see where the trend is going.

25 year old here with Cell Phone, Desktop, iPod and Game Console. As soon as Windows 7 SP1 RTM comes out I’ll have a laptop, and as soon as a decent Android based tablet comes out I’ll have one as well. No interest in an eReader. I would also like to see adaption stats for HDTVs, 3DTVs, Blu Ray and in home WIFI.
I built my own desktop and it mainly serves as my home-network server. I think people will mostly use them for gaming and networking. All other computer functions are done on my laptop, phone, or iPad.

Keep in mind, although I use the iPhone and iPad, I am still a tried and true PC guy all of the way

Diogen.

I’m currently running a 23” 1080p display, I have a 22” I could hook up for a dually, but I don’t have the desk room to fit all my other crap. I agree, it’s nice but we are a mobile society. You can’t take those two 24”ers with you to Starbucks while you sip on overpriced coffees and pretend to be writing a novel :) I’m going to say, in five years time, desktop computers will make up less than 50% of all new computer sold for home use. And you can always output to an external display. Most laptops now should come with HDMI out..

I also have 2 24" monitors on both my desks. I use the Dell 1920x1200s. They are great for work. When I am around the house I use a laptop. I will consider the iPad 2 when it comes out, most of the time it would be more convient than even a laptop.

I guess my situation is more of a home based media business than a home environment, but I have 4 CPU's switched with cpu switch to a single 24" monitor 1920x1200 In addition I have an IKAM 3 x 16x9 video monitor rack, a DVCAM and betacam SP deck. Dual Blu Ray drives, a MFC 11x17 printer and two Microboards DVD printers/ burners. On my desk, I have a Dell M1210 laptop. ipad charging Dock and a cellphone charging dock. The CPU's are: a business software/ web surfing CPU, an HDTV video editing and Blu Ray burner, An SD video editing CPU and a secondary SC video and audio composing CPU. Audio monitoring is a stereo mixer to a 2.1 speaker system and a dedicated 5.1 speaker system off the HDTV editing CPU.

If I didn't do Video production and post work often 2 projects ongoing at the same time, I would just have a laptop with a DVD / Blu Ray burner and my ipad.

But then again as you get older you need a bigger display as ones eye sight fails :eek:
I'd love you to be wrong but have to admit the opposite...:)

Also, there is something in being able to see so much at the same time. Laziness? :D

Diogen.

EDIT:
I was wrong about the resolution.
I used to have the 1200s but then switched to 22" 2560x1440 because they have a webcam/microphone built-in.
All Dell. On one arm. Quite convenient.

I still look at using tablets/laptops/netbooks as "drafting". Serious work should be done on a desktop...:)

Last edited:
As soon as Windows 7 SP1 RTM comes out...
Just 12 days to go...
Microsoft announced today that Service Pack 1 for Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7 was released to manufacturing.
Though reaching RTM status today, the service pack will not be available until next week. Volume license customers and Technet and MSDN Subscribers will be able to download it from February 16, and Windows Update and pre-install availability should start on February 22.
Service Pack 1 completed for Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2

Diogen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)