Galaxy 19 on a 24 inch dish?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Maybe the better question that should have been asked.......
"What is FTA on 110, 119,118 and Anik F3.?"

I went over to Lyngsat and took a look and only found 1 test card FTA on any of those satellites.

I still think this was a case of not doing the due-diligence beforehand. And jumping the gun on what appeared to be too promising.
Not dis-counting those who think it was for piracy, however one may be hard pressed to prove this, unless there was something else in the listing that pointed to that type of activity.

The 1000 and 500 in the quote below does not say 1000 - 500 free channels.

Any one that has been around for awhile would have seen this as some bogus deal but remember the op said he was just now getting into this hobby.

Hopefully, the op can somehow get his money back but if not, it becomes a lesson "hard learned".

The description says this " NEW 24" SATELLITE DISH NETWORK LNB 110 119 118 1000 500 FTA FREE TO AIR ANIK F3"

The FTA was simply there to make it appear that this is a legitimate FTA use rather than equipment for piracy. Many are duped in this manor into purchasing equipment thinking they will receive free subscription services. You should not have to read between the lines to see what the vendor is trying to do.
I guess the old adage of "if it seems too good to be true......I

Reactions: . Raine and Mr Tony
The FTA was simply there to make it appear that this is a legitimate FTA use rather than equipment for piracy. Many are duped in this manor into purchasing equipment thinking they will receive free subscription services. You should not have to read between the lines to see what the vendor is trying to do.
I guess the old adage of "if it seems too good to be true......I

I think you have it exactly right in what you say here. It's too bad, I bet a lot of people legitimately interested in FTA buy setups like this and then get discouraged when it doesn't work and just give up on it. It's good that Nmoon joined here and didn't give up.

Reactions: beavs2112
I did not give up and at the moment have a 36 inch dish with a PLL based LNB for the Ku band which is working quite well despite my situation. I have a balcony above me but can still get thus far after a bit of exploring Galaxy 19 and Galaxy 3C with others possible but that is what I have found. Most of the transponders on Galaxy 19 are in and also the DVB-S transponders on Galaxy 3C are in as well.

I am considering try to use an old unused 18" Dish to try to pull in RTV on 97W.
Would use the above rec. Linear LNB , fixed of course. Do you think I'd stand a descent chance of pulling in the transponder?
Is it a fairly strong transponder? I have experience with using 3 and 4' KU dishes but have not tried the smaller 24 let along 18" ones.

well ok will probably try it, next summer I can try it on a 24" dish (directv) when I cancel that service, signal might be bit stronger - thanks

I've locked it on 18" dishes here and it's pretty much like Brian said, on a clear day it will come in good, cloudy or rain will pixellate or knock out the signal. A PLL LNB will work best. If your dish is one of those that're 18"X20" rather than pretty much 18" all around, those work a bit better. Right now I have a Slimline set onto 97W and that's working pretty good.

If you like the CCTV channels on 95W at all, those lock good on a 18'' dish with a Avenger PLL here, even in cloudy weather or rain, I've had a fixed 18'' set on 95W for a few years here now. An 18" dish is touchy to align, if you have trouble with 97W then try 95W to get a hang of the dish's alignment, 95W CCTV channels are stronger and easier to lock, then go back looking for 97W.

If you like the CCTV channels on 95W at all, those lock good on a 18'' dish with a Avenger PLL here, even in cloudy weather or rain, I've had a fixed 18'' set on 95W for a few years here now. An 18" dish is touchy to align, if you have trouble with 97W then try 95W to get a hang of the dish's alignment, 95W CCTV channels are stronger and easier to lock, then go back looking for 97W.

CCTV rocks on my converted DISH Turbo!

Reactions: . Raine
Yes, I agree. 97W gives you the most bang for your buck, but 95W is a great "first" satellite to try to catch because of the strength of the CCTV transponder. I still depend on it heavily when trying to align a dish :)

Reactions: . Raine
hey I appreciate the input guys! realize the odds are questionable. With a bigger ku dish I used to get 97W at about 40-60 PQ if I recall correctly.
tomorrow my plan is to try it out, the" Dish" antenna is actually about 20.5 X 21.5" , have mounted it on the railing on my deck and tomorrow will bring a small tv and my new X2 IV FTA receiver (pretty cool box) , picked a maverick MK1-Pll LNB which replaced the previous dual sat LNB from Dish. Figure I can aim dish better, plus am waiting for a 50' cable length to come in the mail. For my location (06801 - CT) 97W should be at about 220 deg.

Hey anything special about putting this LNB on the dish's arm?

Hoping to be able to pull in the RTV and REV ch. on the Pitts comm. transponder.

Is it a Dish TurboHD by chance?
dish.jpg

My small dishes are DirectTV, not Dish ones, so it may be different, but all I did was cut a small piece of wood to fit tight into the end of the LNB arm and screwed the universal LNB brackets onto that. My small dishes are 20''X18" and the Slimlines are 32''X23", IIRC.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)