Gen4 Rumors

Overall gen4 is an improvement, but still not worth cutting loose a decent dsl or cable service. I'm a little disappointed with the caps, figured they would be much higher. A fair option imo would be 50gb/$49.99, 100gb/$79.99, & 150gb/$99.99 without any time restrictions.

Here is the gen4 footprint. Interesting.....

jupiter footprint.PNG

Actually that $49 initial offering is for 24 months, with no setup fee. But you're thinking cable internet or DSL. Satellite internet requires a dish, outdoor electronics, signal and electrical grounds, etc. So the $9.99/mo fee is an equipment lease for both indoor and outdoor equipment. It's only charged to those that don't want to buy the hardware up front. Leased equipment of course, also has the benefit of free replacement.

I'm personally going for the 15/2 plan, and will purchase all the hardware. So - after the initial balloon payment - I'll be billed $99/month indefinitely. I've been with Hughes for 12 years now, and the hardware is very reliable. That said, if something actually does break (outside the warranty period), I have to then purchase the replacement myself.

//greg//

Last edited:
HughesNet is only offering a lease initially for the Gen4 Jupiter equipment and installs during the service launch but I'd think they will eventually include the purchase option again. Service is slated to become available October 1, and dealers are accepting pre-orders.

The current SpaceWay 1 Mbps offering to new customers is now $39.99 per month for six months then $49.99 thereafter, lease or purchase, with no mail-in rebate needed. Add $9.99/mo. for equipment lease. After the end of the year, all three SpaceWay plans of Home, Power 150 and Power 200 service plans will all be eliminated in favor of a single, 5 Mbps "Power" Plan for $49.99 per month. Current SpaceWay customers will be given the option to upgrade to the 5 Mbps plan with no equipment change or dish repoint needed, or they can stay where they are. A fee, if any, to upgrade has not been announced.

Current "in contract" SpaceWay subscribers can upgrade to Jupiter equipment and plans for $199.99, with a $50 mail-in rebate bringing it down to $149.99.

Out of contract SpaceWay subscribers can upgrade to Jupiter equipment and plans for $99.99, with a $50 mail-in rebate bringing it down to $49.99.

I plan to sweeten these deals by also including a substantial, up-front rebate.

Overall gen4 is an improvement, but still not worth cutting loose a decent dsl or cable service.
Marginally better, pretty much speed-related. Llatency and data caps are still alive and well. Satellite remains the internet of choice for a niche group: those who CANNOT get acceptable terrestrial broadband internet.

//greg//

HughesNet is only offering a lease initially for the Gen4 Jupiter equipment and installs during the service launch but I'd think they will eventually include the purchase option again. Service is slated to become available October 1, and dealers are accepting pre-orders.

The current SpaceWay 1 Mbps offering to new customers is now $39.99 per month for six months then $49.99 thereafter, lease or purchase, with no mail-in rebate needed. Add $9.99/mo. for equipment lease. After the end of the year, all three SpaceWay plans of Home, Power 150 and Power 200 service plans will all be eliminated in favor of a single, 5 Mbps "Power" Plan for $49.99 per month. Current SpaceWay customers will be given the option to upgrade to the 5 Mbps plan with no equipment change or dish repoint needed, or they can stay where they are. A fee, if any, to upgrade has not been announced.

Current "in contract" SpaceWay subscribers can upgrade to Jupiter equipment and plans for $199.99, with a $50 mail-in rebate bringing it down to $149.99.

Out of contract SpaceWay subscribers can upgrade to Jupiter equipment and plans for $99.99, with a $50 mail-in rebate bringing it down to $49.99.

I plan to sweeten these deals by also including a substantial, up-front rebate.

Wow...........that is noteworthy. Thanks for sharing that info.

Received my 1st shipment of Jupiter equipment today. :D
Wonder who & when will be my 1st guinea pig install. Getting excited, it is close to becoming a reality.

I don't know about that.....found out today my 1st gen4 job is Saturday & will be for a beta tester. I'll post afterwards on how it went.

From what I hear;), only dealers that are doing beta installs are getting equipment now.

It is confirmed the gateway will be down on Saturday for gen4. Please reschedule your Saturday appointments for 9/9 to 9/11. :mad: Oh well, it is what it is........

I thought this was an interesting side by side comparison of the E17 boom arm beside a spaceway arm. I think I'm going to like it. Doesn't seem near as cumbersome. As of now it appears the beta install is on for tomorrow. I've been back through several notes & believe I'm ready.

boom arm on e17.jpg

Last edited:

What is your source on this? I'd very much like to discourage several customers of installing the old equipment, and just wait a week or two...

I did my first installation today. System very easy to set up and installation was very fast from the moment you put the values in the modem till the moment you finish.

Seems to me that this is going to be a really nice experience installing Hughesnet from now on

That was for the same iPad... You had to register at their forum first then go to their Facebook page and enter there by giving them your forum username in the entry form.

If I remember correct Chris even sent out two emails saying he didn't draw a winner yet because he didn't get enough entries yet. What kind of crap is that?

I believe that in the same period we not only gave away one iPad but gave away two! (And the members got their prizes!)

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts