General Openbox S9 Questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

TimLones111

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
Canton, Ohio
As my Income Tax should be here in the next couple of days, I am seriously looking into a Openbox s9 (or above) as an upgrade to the Fortec Star Dynamic Receiver I am using now.. While I know there are probably many threads about the Openbox on here, I thought I would try to ask a few general questions about it.

Does the Openbox handle DVBs2 signals and others that the Fortec does not?
I see that PVR is done through USB..How big does a USB Drive have to be and how do you watch a PVR on TV differently than a Cable Box DVR?

I thought I saw something about AC3 Audio..Will this be accessible without an extra piece of equipment?

Where are the best places to buy the Openbox, whether site sponsors, ebay, etc..as far as price and service..
Other things to watch such as possible glitches, making sure any channel lists are North American, etc..

I know this is very basic questioning as I've been into FTA for about 3 years now I still feel like a newbie in some ways..I have my FTA working again as I found the signal once again last night..

Yes to dvbs2 and ac3. You may want to read the thread below about the "new glorystar receiver coming soon". If you can wait it may be the best option. S9 and S10 get the job done but lots of threads about issues.

you can dvr to a flash drive like me for clips, etc. it will do two hours in about 5g. however, i can only play back what i record with my solomend/s9. i have scanned every satellite from 55w to 137w finally. got done today after getting 7.5' dish on solid three inch pipe. now i can get the new receiver for my wife and move the new receiver upstairs. i got my openbox from sadoun but i am getting a new box hopefully next month from brian on this site. it is the geosat microhd. charlie

I own two S9s that were both used when I bought them. I got one from a member here last year in the spring for $95 shipped and I bought another used one from Amazon last fall for about the same money. Both came in the original packaging with remotes. I've seen them new on Fleabay for around $125 or so shipped recently.

I have 320GB SATA drives connected to both mine with el cheapo USB to SATA adaptesrs with power supplies, which also came from Fleabay. The only recording function I've used is just to record something I want to watch on satellite while I look at another show on OTA, ie, I watch Two and a Half Men at 7pm and record MASH on MeTV from satellite then watch the second episode of MASH @ 7:30 and after that I watch the one I recorded at 7. Works for me.

The S9 took some getting use to as I'd been using two AZBoxes before I got them but they were fairly easy to learn and the newer firmware that was released at the end of August of 2011 makes them even better. Blind scan works about as well as most of the others on the market but to be honest, with all the info that 's available on new feeds and such on these forums I wouldn't let the lack of that function deter me from buying an otherwise good receiver. And had I of gotten the S9s before I bought the AZBoxes, I probably wouldn't have either of those now as I seldom use them anymore.

Ennywho, what works for me may not necessarily work for you or others. So keep in mind that "Your mileage may vary!" ;-)

Tim,
I sent you a PM...The S9 is a lot more sensitive at picking up weaker signals than the Fortec....At least mine is. Yes it does AC3 fine. I can't remember how big your dish is? It does ok on the S2 stuff with a six footer, but an 8 or 10 improves it even more.....Blind

The Openbox was a great bargain last year, but with the promise of the new microHD from SatelliteAV, I would hold off on the Openbox (or any other current HD FTA receiver).

The microHD will be priced about the same as an Openbox S9, but promises to be more stable and will be supported in North America by developers with the NA FTA market in mind. It will also have more hobbyist tweaks and features than the Openboxes do.

Bottom line, if you need it TODAY, the Openbox is okay. If you can wait a little more than a month, save your money for the microHD.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)