General questions about Multiroom Viewing (MRV)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

rtdreep

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 16, 2008
1) Is the approach to MRV to have one DVR interlinked with multiple separate tuner-only set-top boxes located in other rooms?

2) If so, is the driving reason behind this that separate tuners would be significantly less expensive than the alternative of putting DVRs in other rooms?

3) Or, is the driving reason to enable TVs that have their own built-in tuners to be able to communicate with the single DVR?

What I'm thinking is: Hardware eventually becomes cheaper over time, and sooner or later, I'd expect every set-top box to have a DVR in it.

I'm not all that knowledgeable about this topic, though. . .I welcome any thoughts you may have on this.

1. Can be, or can watch stuff from another DVR on a DVR in a different room, but regular H receiver is being developed for MRV (all but H20).

2. I think driving factor is customer experience and convience, not reducing receiver sales.

3. I don't see that ever happening.

With convenience, wireless is essential then?

Thank you for your thoughts, Jason. Are there any thoughts to the DVRs being able to communicate with each other wirelessly, regardless of whether the consumer has a wireless router set up for their home computer(s)? --Rick

1. Can be, or can watch stuff from another DVR on a DVR in a different room, but regular H receiver is being developed for MRV (all but H20).

2. I think driving factor is customer experience and convience, not reducing receiver sales.

3. I don't see that ever happening.

I suspect that the model is to eventually have one big box with lots of tuners and storage, and small inexpensive set top boxes spread around the house.

The problem with a dvr in every box is that you have to run a coaxial cable to all of them, they make noise, they're sensitive to heat and vibration, and they're more failure prone than a simple STB like a Roku player.

So directv can solve the problem with a big box with one coax wire coming into it and going to the dish, and powerline or wireless networking from that to a series of stb's.

Its cheap, easy to install, easy to fix, and unless the big main box goes out, its pretty fault tolerant. You could fix some of the fault concerns in the main box by putting in a pair of mirrored 1tb drives and having a red light "I need a new drive, call for service" indicator if one goes out. Past that, some level of fault monitoring to measure power supply, fan speeds, etc would solve most other pending failures before they happen. All pretty standard stuff for many years now in a run-of-the-mill PC.

I can actually see a DLNA equipped television set being able to play shows from a central dvr without a set top box.

Certainly the ability for the boxes to talk to each other wirelessly, via powerline networking or via coaxial networking (MOCA or DECA) is there today, even without a customers network being involved. My two dvr's have a wire between them, nothing else. Works fine.

No Network?

I suspect that the model is to eventually have one big box with lots of tuners and storage, and small inexpensive set top boxes spread around the house.

The problem with a dvr in every box is that you have to run a coaxial cable to all of them, they make noise, they're sensitive to heat and vibration, and they're more failure prone than a simple STB like a Roku player.

So directv can solve the problem with a big box with one coax wire coming into it and going to the dish, and powerline or wireless networking from that to a series of stb's.

Its cheap, easy to install, easy to fix, and unless the big main box goes out, its pretty fault tolerant. You could fix some of the fault concerns in the main box by putting in a pair of mirrored 1tb drives and having a red light "I need a new drive, call for service" indicator if one goes out. Past that, some level of fault monitoring to measure power supply, fan speeds, etc would solve most other pending failures before they happen. All pretty standard stuff for many years now in a run-of-the-mill PC.

I can actually see a DLNA equipped television set being able to play shows from a central dvr without a set top box.

Certainly the ability for the boxes to talk to each other wirelessly, via powerline networking or via coaxial networking (MOCA or DECA) is there today, even without a customers network being involved. My two dvr's have a wire between them, nothing else. Works fine.

So you can get the MRV working without a Network connection? You're only hardware connection is Cat 5 between the DVR's and you can get MRV to work?

So you can get the MRV working without a Network connection? You're only hardware connection is Cat 5 between the DVR's and you can get MRV to work?

Yes, that can be done provided the boxes are loaded with MRV supported CE software (x353 to 35f for HD DVRs). If the boxes don't discover themselves, they would need unique IP addresses setup under advanced network setup with the same subnet; I hear the 169.x.x.x series addresses will work but they would not work for INTERNET connection.

Keyword search BRINGMRVBACK should get it started if all else is connected and working. Network should show connected in your more info tab (hold info button down >5 seconds).

Yep it works. If you leave it like it is, after the DHCP piece times out the boxes will start asking if there is anyone else on the network and configure themselves to a 169.x.x.x address and start talking directly. I found that takes too long so in advanced settings I manually configured them to 192.1.1.100 and 192.1.1.101 and set the dns and default gateway to 192.1.1.1, which doesnt exist, then plugged them together. Blam, it works.

On the receivers that have two active network ports (not the hr20-100), you can daisy chain them one to the next to the next and from what I hear that works fine. One end of the chain can be plugged into a switch or router and they'll all talk through each other. Traffic is switched in the box (not routed, as far as I know) so if you've got three of these daisy chained together with the last one hooked to your home network, the traffic on the wire between the boxes becomes additive, so I wouldnt recommend daisy chaining for more than 3 receivers.

Yep it works. If you leave it like it is, after the DHCP piece times out the boxes will start asking if there is anyone else on the network and configure themselves to a 169.x.x.x address and start talking directly. I found that takes too long so in advanced settings I manually configured them to 192.1.1.100 and 192.1.1.101 and set the dns and default gateway to 192.1.1.1, which doesnt exist, then plugged them together. Blam, it works.

On the receivers that have two active network ports (not the hr20-100), you can daisy chain them one to the next to the next and from what I hear that works fine. One end of the chain can be plugged into a switch or router and they'll all talk through each other. Traffic is switched in the box (not routed, as far as I know) so if you've got three of these daisy chained together with the last one hooked to your home network, the traffic on the wire between the boxes becomes additive, so I wouldnt recommend daisy chaining for more than 3 receivers.

Great, because my 2 HR22 DVR's are sitting right next to each other. I don't really care about an internet connection for these. I don't have the software on either one yet though, so I will be anxiously waiting for the next MRV release.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)