General Sports Trivia

I have have not seen any auto racing questions, so as a self proclaimed "expert" on the Indianapolis 500, here is an easy one.

Graham Hill won the 1966 500 in his first try, but was not voted "rookie of the year." Who was?

I have have not seen any auto racing questions, so as a self proclaimed "expert" on the Indianapolis 500, here is an easy one.

Graham Hill won the 1966 500 in his first try, but was not voted "rookie of the year." Who was?

Jackie Stewart?

Mario Andretti won the Indy 500 in 1969. So WHY NOT Mario?

Jackie Stewart?

Your are correct. Graham Hill was "declared" the winner. Stewart had a sizeable lead until he lost oil preasure on lap 190.

There was an 11 car pile up coming down for the green flag at the start, plus numerous other accidents. When the smoke cleared it was Graham Hill trying to find Victory Lane. He had no idea where to go. When the scoring was reviewed it showed that Gordon Johnckock findished the 500 miles with the fastest time and should have been the winner, he was scored 4th*. Rumor has it that USAC decided rather than admit there was an error, Gordie was awarded the winners share of the purse but not the title. Johncock has been mum on the subject for over 40 years!

*This was the last time a front engine roadster would complete the 500 miles.

Last edited:
Mario was "Rookie of The Year' in 1965, joined by his sons Michael in 1984 (co with Roberto Guerreo) and Jeff in 1991.
Yes, Mr. Diamond Jim. After I made the mistake of posting Mario I decided to check indycar.com which is a reliable source of information, is it NOT, Sir? The site has the info that you so "gracefully" posted-touché. Mario also won the Daytona 500(yes, Nascar!) in 1967 and the Formula One championship in 1978, how do you do? With ALL due respect is Roberto Guerrero NOT Guerreo who is from Colombia. Mario Andretti was the last American to win the F1 championship. While on the Andretti family Michael's son Marco was last year (2006) Indy Rookie of the year! He's a very talented driver Andretti or NOT!
Good day

Yes, Mr. Diamond Jim. After I made the mistake of posting Mario I decided to check indycar.com which is a reliable source of information, is it NOT, Sir? The site has the info that you so "gracefully" posted-touché. Mario also won the Daytona 500(yes, Nascar!) in 1967 and the Formula One championship in 1978, how do you do? With ALL due respect is Roberto Guerrero NOT Guerreo who is from Colombia. Mario Andretti was the last American to win the F1 championship. While on the Andretti family Michael's son Marco was last year (2006) Indy Rookie of the year! He's a very talented driver Andretti or NOT!
Good day

So...what's your point? You ask a question, I answered it. I don't need an internet service to answer a common knowledge question. I have a massive library concerning the Indianapolis 500 that goes back to 1909. If I don't have it in my head, I go there, if I don't find it there (which is very unlikely), I contact my friend, Donald Davidson, the Speedway historian. No need to get testy.

Last edited:
So...what's your point? You ask a question, I answered it. I don't need an internet service to answer a common knowledge question. I have a massive library concerning the Indianapolis 500 that goes back to 1909. If I don't have it in my head, I go there, if I don't find it there (which is very unlikely), I contact my friend, Donald Davidson, the Speedway historian. No need to get testy.
I wasn't [testy] Mr. Diamond Jim I stated facts NOT arrogance.
Thank you

Name the only high school in the United States to have a gold medal winner in 3 consecutive Olympics.
Hint: It's in Indiana and 2 of the three went on to be professionals in their sport, the other one is an amateur and is in the hall of fame for his sport..

I knew this was an off the wall question when I ask it, but I thought at least a few prople from Indiana might take a stab at it.

The answer is Terre Haute Garfield.

The Gold Medal Winners:

1952- Clyde Lovelette, Basketball
2 time All State
3 time All American at Kansas
1952 National Champions at Kansas
Scored a then record 141 points in the 1952 NCAA Finals
1952 Olympics, Gold Medal, Basketball
NBA: Minneapolis Lakers, Cincinnati Royals, St Louis Hawks and Boston
Celtics
Won NBA Championships with Minneapolis, 1954 and Boston, 1963, 64

1956-Gregory (Greg) Bell, Track and Field
1955 AAU Long Jump Champion
1956 Olympics, Gold Medal, Long Jump
1957 NCAA Long Jump Champion
1959 Pan Am Games Long Jump Champion
Member USA Track and Field Hall of Fame

1960-Terry Dishinger, Basketball
Member 1955 Babe Ruth World Champions
3 time All State
All American at Purdue
1960 Olympic Gold Medal, Basketball
1962-63 NBA Rookie of the Year
NBA: Chicago Zyphers/Baltimore Buttets, Detroit Pistons and Portland
Trailblazers

There ya go, not bad for one school in a short peroid of time.

Tennis Features

Browns Hire Mangini

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)