Browns Hire Mangini

HD MM

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Believeland, Ohio
The BIG One - WTAM 1100

Former Jets coach to take over for Romeo Crennel. (Cleveland) - The Cleveland Browns have signed Eric Mangini as their next head coach.

Mike Trivisonno was first with the story during his show Wednesday afternoon.

Mangini was named head coach of the New York Jets on January 17, 2006.

In recognition of the success Mangini had in his first season in New York, he was named 2006 AFC Coach of the Year.

The 2007 season under Mangini was less fruitful for the Jets, who went 4–12 during the regular season, failing to qualify for the playoffs.

The 2008 season started differently for the Jets, as they went 8-3, including a win over then undefeated Tennessee Titans.

But the Jets managed just a 1-4 record after, which was not enough to make the playoffs and they finished third in their division.

On December 29, after missing out on the playoffs for a second straight year, Mangini was fired.

HD, if I were you, I'd be livid.

You now have to live with Belichick's OTHER coordinator.

I don't know what to think.

On one hand, he is a defensive guy, which could be beneficial for a team that, even when they went 10-6, had a tendency to get lit up.

On the other hand, how would he deal with the QB controversy?

(IMO, Cleveland needs to keep Anderson and Quinn and DUMP the other guys)

hmmm . . . a coach before a GM; wierd

I agree. But it's rumored here in Cleveland that Mangini has already identified Baltimore's director of pro personnel, George Kokinis as someone whom he would like to work with as GM. The two men began their NFL careers in the early 1990s in Cleveland under coach Bill Belichick and later worked together in Baltimore. They have remained close friends.

However, Kokinis isn't accepting anything until the Ravens are out of the playoffs.

HD, if I were you, I'd be livid.

You now have to live with Belichick's OTHER coordinator.

I don't know what to think.

On one hand, he is a defensive guy, which could be beneficial for a team that, even when they went 10-6, had a tendency to get lit up.

On the other hand, how would he deal with the QB controversy?

(IMO, Cleveland needs to keep Anderson and Quinn and DUMP the other guys)

Sabres, I'm not sure what to make of this hiring. With the hiring of an ex-Belichick coordinator and a possible Raven player of personnel* as GM, it feels like Groundhog day!

(Remember our ex-GM Phil Savage used to hold that position with the Rats).

not usually good- maybe new gm will go after favre:eek:

Maybe Sandra or our other Jets fan (CeltsHD) can confirm this, but I thought I heard somewhere that Mangini was very against the Favre hiring?

Mangini did have 2 winning records in 3 years in NY. I even think those Jets teams had less talent than the Browns. He also drafted pretty decently and did rebuild that O-Line through the draft. Here in Cleveland, we have had 2 winning seasons since 1999. Maybe we're underestimating the Mangenius after 1 bad year.

Jets fans, can you comment on Mangini? Is he a no-nonsense type of guy? A disciplinarian? How is he at evaluating talent? How about in-game tactical decisions?

Not a Jets fan, but I know it was reported when he said goodbye to team, he apologized for comments and things he did . . , not a great sign IMHO

Woah. Interesting note....

Mangini began his NFL career in Cleveland. He started out as a Browns ball boy and was later a public relations intern.

He also is the brother-in-law of Cleveland Indians general manager Mark Shapiro! :eek:

The one thing I wanted was a coach with experience.

We've had coaches start out here that went on to greater successes elsewhere (Cohwer, Schottenheimer and Belichick). Hopefully this will be an instance where the coach learns from his mistakes in his first few years of coaching and goes onto become successful with his second team (ie Cleveland Browns)....

Maybe Sandra or our other Jets fan (CeltsHD) can confirm this, but I thought I heard somewhere that Mangini was very against the Favre hiring?

From what I've heard, this is absolutely correct. Mangini was against the Favre signing from the get go.

I get the simulcast of WEEI down here in Providence, and they were saying just last week that Mangini was against the Jets getting Favre.

Their reasoning was because Mangini is so defense oriented, he resented Favre and his river boat gambler mentality.

Jets fans, can you comment on Mangini? Is he a no-nonsense type of guy? A disciplinarian? How is he at evaluating talent? How about in-game tactical decisions?

I personally like Mangenius and hated to see him go.

Yes he is a no nonsense type (which I'm sure you'll welcome after Crennel) and I always liked his game calling ( notwithstanding that Seattle game in the penultimate game of the season.......which was beyond pitiful).

IMO, Mangini is a HUGE upgrade over Crennel. I believe this is a step in the right direction for the Browns franchise.

BTW, is it me, or is the Jets/Browns/Patriots trio borderline incestual??? :eek:
Between players and coaches, these three teams keep swapping around!

The Browns play the entire AFC West, the entire NFC North and play the Bills and Jaguars based on this year's finish.

Bills, Jags, two games with the Bengals, and playing two not-so-great divisions: That's a possible 10 wins!

Looking ahead to next year to keep in mind as well: (going to the schedule so soon make me feel like Woodey Paige on PTI)

The Browns play the entire AFC West, the entire NFC North and play the Bills and Jaguars based on this year's finish.

Cleveland Browns - 2009 opponents

Yes, outside of the division the Browns have a very easy schedule next year ....

However, this should mean that the rest of the division also plays the same out of conference schedule ...

Finally the Steeler's won't play ALL the top teams next year like they did this year ...

Jags, maybe, it would be a good bounce back year for them.

Bills, 10 wins ????
Ya right.

I didn't mean 10 wins for Buffalo.

I was referring to Cleveland's schedule.

They can win at least 10-11 games when you consider that they play the AFC West, NFC North, Bills, Jags, and the Bengals twice

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts