General Sports Trivia

[You're] the one that can handle criticism. Criticism is part of [any] forum. I am NOT spamming anything-your excuse to justify your belly aching. Furthermore you can't stand anybody who is more educated than you are.
If I can't back-up a statement WHY should I make one to begin with? If you can't debate don't engage in a debate to begin with. That is a basic democratic principle which this nation is founded upon. Have you watched the news lately? All the presidential candidates are debating each other. WHY can't you accept that, Sir? You can't you chose unprofessional threats route...:eek:

Question of the year.

Assumptions do NOT prove anything, facts do. Slowly but surely I know who are the members of the good old boys club. Everyday is a learning experience.

Assumptions do NOT prove anything, facts do. Slowly but surely I know who are the members of the good old boys club. Everyday is a learning experience.

Ding Dong the..........well you know the rest.

He's GONE!!!!!

One of the most famous plays in college football history is a Rice University touchdown. When was it, and why is it so famous? :)

To get things back on topic, here's the answer to the question above, which no one seemed to notice (I always thought this was the funniest thing I've ever seen in sports). :):

Dickie Maegle tackle

The 1953 Owls might've been as talented a group as ever donned the Blue and Grey. Coached by Jess Neely in his prime, and led by All-Americans Kosse Johnson and John Hudson, and Kenny Paul, Leo Rucka, and Richard Chapman, all-SWC, the Owls also had an explosive back by the name of Dickie Maegle (then spelled "Moegle"). The Owls swept through the SWC schedule, with an early 12-7 loss to SMU the only blemish.

The Owls had beaten Texas, 18-13, in Austin, and smothered the Aggies, 34-7, in Houston. By the time the New Year's Day Cotton Bowl match with Alabama loomed, the Taylor, Texas, scatback was on a roll. Against the Tide, he struck early and often. The day's stats would show, in a 28-6 victory, that Maegle rolled to 265 yards in only eleven carries, scoring three times, still a Cotton Bowl record. But the carry of the day was one that will live in the annals of college football history. In the second quarter, with the Owls already up 7-0, they set up shop on their own five yard line. Maegle took a quick pitch, broke off-tackle, and headed for the sidelines. With nothing but daylight ahead, he was headed for a 95-yard touchdown run.

On the 'Bama bench, Tommy Lewis, a reserve back, had had all he could take. Maegle was in the clear, at the Alabama 40, when Lewis burst off the bench to bring him down. Confusion reigned; the officials huddled. Coach Neely dashed across the field, challenging Tide coach Harold "Red" Drew. "Rayud, Rayud," he drawled, "what did yo boy think he was doin'?" Lewis moaned, "Coach, I was jus' so full of Ala-bahma." The officials awarded Rice the TD; the Owls won going away-- and both players later traveled to New York to tell about it on the Ed Sullivan show.

Dickie Maegle later said he felt like Ed Sullivan treated him like the heel and Tommy Lewis like a hero. "Heck, I was the one who scored the touchdown!" he said.

In any event, for years it was considered THE most famous play in college football history. And even with the demise of historical perspective by today's media and fans, it still ranks as one of the greatest -- and probably the most bizarre.

here's the answer to the question above, which no one seemed to notice

I noticed, just didn't know the answer. Now that you have given it, I have heard about and seen the video of this play, just didn't know the details. That's a good one.

If I am not mistaken Dick Butkus pulled the same stunt against Miami in an exibition game in the early 70s.

OK, now that we are back to the business at hand, how about a little
"King of the Hill" sports triva?

What is the name of the elementry school that Bobby Hill attened and the middle school he now attends?

Westview Elementary and Tom Landry Middle School.
"That boy ain't right." :)

Last edited:
Westview Elementary and Tom Landry Middle School. "That boy ain't right." :)

Are you sure? That's not the answer I am fishing for. The one I am looking for has only been mentioned once or twice. Sometimes they write in different things and don't realize it. Don Knotts had three different middle names/initials in his role as Barney Fife. Bernard P. Fife, Bernard J. Fife and Bernerd Milton Fife. So......I can't say you are wrong.

Are you sure? That's not the answer I am fishing for. The one I am looking for has only been mentioned once or twice. Sometimes they write in different things and don't realize it. Don Knotts had three different middle names/initials in his role as Barney Fife. Bernard P. Fife, Bernard J. Fife and Bernerd Milton Fife. So......I can't say you are wrong.

How about Roger Staubach Elementary then?

Last edited:
The episode I am thinking of, they were doing something that required sand and Dale showed up with a truck load. When Hank ask where he got it, Dale said "from the sand box at Roger Staubach elementry." Thought I heard Bobby say "I miss that place." So I don't know. I thought it would be cut and dried. So.....my the power invested in me as the question asker...I pronunce you the WINNER.@party:clap:hatsoff::bounce:bow

The episode I am thinking of, they were doing something that required sand and Dale showed up with a truck load. When Hank ask where he got it, Dale said "from the sand box at Roger Staubach elementry." Thought I heard Bobby say "I miss that place." So I don't know. I thought it would be cut and dried. So.....my the power invested in me as the question asker...I pronunce you the WINNER.@party:clap:hatsoff::bounce:bow

Yesss!!!

Now here's a follow-up question. What school was Bobby attending when he tried out for school mascot, and what was the name of the mascot? :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)