General Viewsat question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

MJL

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2006
To any viewsat extreme users out there.

A general question about satellite signal measurement.

In the menu where you check for satellite strength on a certain bird, after the signal comes in there is black text that appears right at the top of the screen of a satellite ID. Is this the actual satellite that is being read? For example nimiq 1,2 testing, it comes up and says Nimiq2 in black at the top. This would really help. I just thought about it now.

Yes, the actual satellite name that you are aimed at appears. This is a great function, but the receiver is a bit quirky with motor control. It often fails to move the dish when a channel is selected. Otherwise .... a very nice receiver!

So I guess I have it wrong then. I was trying to pick up the few FTA's on 91 that some other members were telling me about. My IRD was set to Nimiq 1,2 at 90.9 but when the signal locked in, the black writing at the top said Nimiq 2 @82....

So I do have the wrong bird locked in ????

Last edited:
How would the system know if you were on Nimiq1 or 2 9or Dish 110 or 119 for that matter) because they use the same frequencies.

My Captiveworks does that too (lists satellite its on) but DBS satellites it gets confused on because they use the same frequencies.

what I do is scan the 1st transponder (12224)

If you get a couple free channels and some audio, then you are on Nimiq1
Nimiq2 has scrambled channels on that transponder (some ethnic and HD channels)

Every satellite broadcasts an ID code... That's what the viewsat picks up on.

Driving the motor with the Viewsat is a pain. I just do it using the nudge feature...

SatAdam said:
Every satellite broadcasts an ID code... That's what the viewsat picks up on.

you sure? Like I say, my Captiveworks will say "Nimiq1" regardless of what DBS satellite I am on (as long as it gets a signal from that transponder it will show that)

Thats what I was referring to, the ID code. When I am on Nimiq1 right now it shows Nimiq 2 @82 on the top of the screen. My only concern now, is if this ID thing is reliable or not based on what IceBerg said about the frequencies getting confused.

Mine displays them for the DBS birds when you come across the arc, it's how I know where I am....

SatAdam, are you using a viewsat extreme also?

Wait a second, does it matter that it says 90.9 under Nimiq 1 ??? Thats what it says.

I have a VS Platnum, It works pretty good, channels change fast, and it gets the Pentagon Channel without all the problems on G10R. ;) I just got a Fortec Ultra I am going to swap it out with when I figure out how to do everything with it.

Just point it where you think it should be and scan.... That's the best way to go about it.

I think mine says G11 91w at the top when it goes past 91. Haven't went by there in a while. My motor stays at G10R 99% of the time.... I motor over to watch NASA every now and again.

I don't actually even have a motor on this one. So I guess if I am aimed at 82, then I have to move the dish to the right a little if I am looking at the back of the dish itself, or standing behind it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)