Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
This question has been asked a few times over the past few days so I figured I would start a new thread to help people, especially since so many people will be getting 4K TV's for the holidays.

4K on DIRECTV is kind of confusing at the moment. If you 4K TV supports DIRECTV's 4K RVU then you can probably get on demand 4K content without needing new DIRECTV equipment in your house. Your TV will act as a client and you will be able to watch 4K on demand content from your existing Genie receiver.

If your 4K TV does not support DIRECTV 4K RVU you will need a DIRECTV C64K (or DIRECT 4K Genie Mini... which is confusing because it is not a Genie) With the RVU it acts as a client and hooks to your 4K TV. Remember you 4K TV must support HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 to work with DIRECTV 4K.

Where is gets tricky is soon DIRECTV will be launching live 4K Channels. In order to watch these channels you will need some new equipment, there is a new 4K Genie called the HR54. While its a 4K Genie it does not actually output 4K from the Genie to your 4K TV. You will still need to use RVU of the C61K to watch 4K on your 4K TV. You will also need a new LNB on your DISH as well. Currently these LNB's are not available but are expected soon. I have heard a few warehouses are now getting shipments in.

Once you have the HR54, new LNB and RVU or CK64 then you are ready for future 4K on DIRECTV.

Below is a chart which explains the features between different Genies. Remember only the HR54 will be able to support live 4K channels in the future, while other models will only be able to deliver on demand 4K content.

Thanks for reading, Over the past year of so SatelliteGuys was the first site to tell you about things like 4K Transponder Bonding, Reverse DBS, The HR54, and the C61K. It's nice to finally be the place where people come to first for their DIRECTV news and information. :)

genie features.png

scott,
i heard that in order to use rvu that the genie had to be hooked to TV a , and the rvu would be TV b. basically requiring an extra tv fee.
any truth to this?

scott do we know how many live 4k channels will be coming to directv? just asking buddy :)

scott,
i heard that in order to use rvu that the genie had to be hooked to TV a , and the rvu would be TV b. basically requiring an extra tv fee.
any truth to this?
From what I have been told... Yes it is true.

scott,
any truth to this?
If you have only one TV then yes, DirecTV would be double dipping. however if you have two or more TVs then you can install the main Genie with a non 4K TV and install the C61K to the 4K TV. if you have two 4K TVs, then you are back at square one.

So if you are a Single person with one 4K tv, you must pay $15 ARF, and then another $13 for the the Genie and a C61.

Wow that should boost sales.

If you have only one TV then yes, DirecTV would be double dipping. however if you have two or more TVs then you can install the main Genie with a non 4K TV and install the C61K to the 4K TV. if you have two 4K TVs, then you are back at square one.

i have 2 tvs, with an hr24 and genie
i am not adding a 3rd tv, or downgrading the hr24

This answers the question...

Single TV installation, where the only TV is a DIRECTV 4K Ready TV

1. You will need two (2) RC7x remote (use the highest level remote you have on your truck)
  2. The Genie should be installed and connected to the TV as normal (i.e. HDMI, Component/Composite with audio). This is needed because most DIRECTV Ready troubleshooting must occur at the Genie Server and not through the DIRECTV Ready connection.
  3. Program the first remote to operate the Genie STB (Recommended to be programmed in RF mode),
  4. On the Genie STB, disable HDMI CEC so when the Genie is turned ON, it won’t force the STB to the HDMI input. (To access the HDMI CEC setting on the Genie, go to Menu -> Settings & Help -> Settings -> Display -> Video -> HDMI Control.)
  5. In addition to the normal installation steps for the Genie STB, the TV must be connected to the coax network using a DECA, Power Supply and Ethernet cable, then added to the genie as a client.
  6. Once the DIRECTV Ready TV is added, program the second remote (DIRECTV Genie remote) to operate the TV in DIRECTV Ready mode.
  7. Since the DIRECTV 4K Ready TV must be activated as a DIRECTV Ready Client, the customer must pay the Additional TV fee.
  8. If the customer would like the audio to play through their surround sound system, it is recommended that the Genie be connected to the TV via HDMI and the TV’s audio output be connected to the surround sound receiver. By connecting the TV’s audio output directly to the surround sound system the surround sound audio will work no matter which input/source the TV is set to.

singleinstall.png

This answers the question...

Single TV installation, where the only TV is a DIRECTV 4K Ready TV

1. You will need two (2) RC7x remote (use the highest level remote you have on your truck)
  2. The Genie should be installed and connected to the TV as normal (i.e. HDMI, Component/Composite with audio). This is needed because most DIRECTV Ready troubleshooting must occur at the Genie Server and not through the DIRECTV Ready connection.
  3. Program the first remote to operate the Genie STB (Recommended to be programmed in RF mode),
  4. On the Genie STB, disable HDMI CEC so when the Genie is turned ON, it won’t force the STB to the HDMI input. (To access the HDMI CEC setting on the Genie, go to Menu -> Settings & Help -> Settings -> Display -> Video -> HDMI Control.)
  5. In addition to the normal installation steps for the Genie STB, the TV must be connected to the coax network using a DECA, Power Supply and Ethernet cable, then added to the genie as a client.
  6. Once the DIRECTV Ready TV is added, program the second remote (DIRECTV Genie remote) to operate the TV in DIRECTV Ready mode.
  7. Since the DIRECTV 4K Ready TV must be activated as a DIRECTV Ready Client, the customer must pay the Additional TV fee.
  8. If the customer would like the audio to play through their surround sound system, it is recommended that the Genie be connected to the TV via HDMI and the TV’s audio output be connected to the surround sound receiver. By connecting the TV’s audio output directly to the surround sound system the surround sound audio will work no matter which input/source the TV is set to.

View attachment 111716
This only answers the question if you already have an RVU ready Tv.

What if you dont?

Sounds like single TV users are best to wait for the HR64 and hope it outputs 4K. I don't think I could ever get on board with paying double the fee for a single TV

Reactions: AZ.
then dont be an early adopter.... those always gets screwed....

I agree.....But really, talk about direct being behind??? Sounds a bit crazy the so called work around... "quick fix"?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)