Genie firmware 0x08c2 Menu shortcuts

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I'd rather they give us the episode number or OAD (original air date) in the guide so I don't have 5,000 recordings of the same program. D* needs to come into the 21st century, because Dish is kicking their a$$ in this department.
One more stinkin button and you HAVE that Info, this is one that is Not hidden way down the ranks of menus.
pull up your show and hit Info ... boy thats tough.

episode number along with the name would be helpful, they already give you the name

And MENU 6 currently makes no sense.
The only one I now use regularly is MENU 7.

Yes, the only one I have any use for at all is Menu 7 and only because I can incorporate it into a programmed sequence to reach the ToDoList with one button press. As has been noted, a Menu+(closed captions) would have been a great addition instead of the redundancy of something like Menu+6.

One more stinkin button and you HAVE that Info, this is one that is Not hidden way down the ranks of menus.

episode number along with the name would be helpful, they already give you the name
The episode and season number are really what Aliens, myself and many other are looking for, and he's right, why is Dish kicking their a$$ in this department, in fact why is just about every other provider kicking their butt in this area?

Apparently when using a remote viewing device, I'm guessing like an iPad, that the season/episode number is available, so why can't we have it on the DVR? I love a lot of things about DIRECTV and their service/DVR, but their guide data is most definitely not one of them.

The episode and season number are really what Aliens, myself and many other are looking for, and he's right, why is Dish kicking their a$$ in this department, in fact why is just about every other provider kicking their butt in this area?

Apparently when using a remote viewing device, I'm guessing like an iPad, that the season/episode number is available, so why can't we have it on the DVR? I love a lot of things about DIRECTV and their service/DVR, but their guide data is most definitely not one of them.
They give you the Episode name, just not the Number, which as mentioned would be useful.

They reason DISH is kicking thier butt is easy ....
It's a NON Issue.

If it was something that was vitally important, then they would address it.

I'd rather they give us the episode number or OAD (original air date) in the guide so I don't have 5,000 recordings of the same program. D* needs to come into the 21st century, because Dish is kicking their a$$ in this department.

I got into a rather "warm" conversation about this in the other sat forum and was told since DIRECTV chose not to include this data it was good with them, that what ever the reason was, they were completely happy with it. Their basic response to my asking why was "just because", you know, like what parents tell little children when they don't really have an answer. To their credit there were many responses from others in favor of having the data. Oh, yeah, I was told it would "add too much clutter to an already cluttered screen" as nonsensical and ridiculous as that sounds.

Not always. Directv has very limited guide data on many programs compared to some other providers. Many shows I DVR record every episode because the original air date is missing.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

They give you the Episode name, just not the Number, which as mentioned would be useful.

It's a NON Issue.

Yes, but the episode number does not tell you what sequence it should be viewed in relationship to other episodes. I would happily trade a useless episode name for the sea/epi number instead. I recorded the recent Showtime series Years of Living Dangerously over a few other channels, probably east and west feeds, and since there was no sea/epi data I had to go to a separate device(computer) to go to a third party website(not DIRECTV, but Epguides.com) just to figure out which order I should be viewing them in. This should not have been necessary when just a few characters, maybe 6-10, could be added to the guide's Info banner or even just in the Playlist listings, anywhere would help.

And when you say it's a non-issue why have so many other providers chosen to include it?

Yes, but the episode number does not tell you what sequence it should be viewed in relationship to other episodes. I would happily trade a useless episode name for the sea/epi number instead. I recorded the recent Showtime series Years of Living Dangerously over a few other channels, probably east and west feeds, and since there was no sea/epi data I had to go to a separate device(computer) to go to a third party website(not DIRECTV, but Epguides.com) just to figure out which order I should be viewing them in. This should not have been necessary when just a few characters, maybe 6-10, could be added to the guide's Info banner or even just in the Playlist listings, anywhere would help.

And when you say it's a non-issue why have so many other providers chosen to include it?

Exactly. This happens to me too. The order they were recorded in isn't always the proper sequence and you have to order them yourself by using the website of the show to order them properly. Very stupid and unnecessary.

Not always. Directv has very limited guide data on many programs compared to some other providers. Many shows I DVR record every episode because the original air date is missing.

Very limited guide, it is easily the worst of the 4-5 providers I've used and seen elsewhere. The only reasons I can come up with is A)they haven't been able to figure out how to add it in the software(seems very unlikely), and B)they have chosen to go with a limited, less expensive package from their program info provider(seems very likely).

Very limited guide, it is easily the worst of the 4-5 providers I've used and seen elsewhere. The only reasons I can come up with is A)they haven't been able to figure out how to add it in the software(seems very unlikely), and B)they have chosen to go with a limited, less expensive package from their program info provider(seems very likely).

Their info comes from Tribune, as does the info on many providers. It is very clear that Directv doesn't use the complete data received from Tribune since the others have it.

It's a NON Issue.

It's a non-issue if you've never had it. And if you've never had it you don't know what you are missing.

We went through this about a year ago, Jimbo. I'm not interested in going down that path again. The Office of the President @ D* acknowledge to me that it WAS an issue and they were looking into it. One year later and here we are.

Reactions: ejb1980
I got into a rather "warm" conversation about this in the other sat forum and was told since DIRECTV chose not to include this data it was good with them, that what ever the reason was, they were completely happy with it. Their basic response to my asking why was "just because", you know, like what parents tell little children when they don't really have an answer. To their credit there were many responses from others in favor of having the data. Oh, yeah, I was told it would "add too much clutter to an already cluttered screen" as nonsensical and ridiculous as that sounds.
I got the same responses you did a year ago on this forum. I spent several months dealing with D* and this issue. It boggles the mind that when you are trying to accomplish something that would benefit everyone, you are met with such stifling resistance. It makes absolutely no sense.

Reactions: keenan and ejb1980
I got the same responses you did a year ago on this forum. I spent several months dealing with D* and this issue. It boggles the mind that when you are trying to accomplish something that would benefit everyone, you are met with such stifling resistance. It makes absolutely no sense.
Yeah, I don't get the push-back either, and my gosh, we're talking about adding 6-10 characters to a screen(you choose which screen DIRECTV!) that likely has 10-20 times that amount of characters already, much of it redundant, useless information.

I don't get it, and I have yet to hear a reasonable explanation for its exclusion.

As ejb1980 said, I spoke to three different people at Tribune Media Services last year and they all confirmed they send the exact same info to all providers. The OOTP did not know why the episode numbers or OAD (she didn't know what that meant) are being left out. They must have had some complaints about The NFL Network because she said they were working on adding the OAD and, after I explained the reasoning for adding those, agreed those were important issues.

Here are two of six screen-grabs I sent to the OOTP last year. Left is E*. Notice the information is identical, but D* dropped the first aired date.

I agree ...

I'm not saying I'm against more info, I'm just saying that the info (previously discussed) was there if you go the next step (name wise.)

It's a non-issue if you've never had it. And if you've never had it you don't know what you are missing.

We went through this about a year ago, Jimbo. I'm not interested in going down that path again. The Office of the President @ D* acknowledge to me that it WAS an issue and they were looking into it. One year later and here we are.
Again, I'm not disagreeing with you, however, D* must feel otherwise about it.

Go to D*'s website and put it in the feedback section, maybe that will do something.
Complaining about it here isn't gonna get anything done.
If youv'e spoke to the presidents office last year, call again this year ...
Have them look into how many would like it, maybe if we have a poll they will see it, and do something about it.

I agree ...

I'm not saying I'm against more info, I'm just saying that the info (previously discussed) was there if you go the next step (name wise.)
Yes, having the name of the episode definitely helps. :)
Having the sea/epi data removes any doubt though of which episode it is and how it fits with every other episode of that particular show.

I'm not party to the CE program with DIRECTV but does this subject ever come up? Is it a simply a feedback program where you use the latest software and provide feed back on good/bad/ugly it is, or can you also push ideas back towards DIRECTV? I would think that this subject must have been broached at least a few times.

Reactions: Broe67
If youv'e spoke to the presidents office last year, call again this year ...

I tried calling Veronica but the number is no longer valid. I must have sent her into retirement. :biggrin

I sent an email to the OOTP (Ms. Fillipiak sp?) so I'll see if I get a response.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)