Genie go

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

DetFan

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 27, 2006
Livonia, Michigan
Does this thing actually serves. Purpose or is it just junk? I thought it would work more like the hopper with built in sling. Where it prepared programs for my iPad etc etc. I get nothing but headaches with this thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Does this thing actually serves. Purpose or is it just junk? I thought it would work more like the hopper with built in sling. Where it prepared programs for my iPad etc etc. I get nothing but headaches with this thing. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Junk!
Nothing like sling.
I sold mine.

It works the way it's supposed to work. It's not a Sling where you take over control of a tuner on a DVR and have live real time control. It's orginal purpose was to allow for the user to offload content that had previously been transcoded from a recording onto a PC or other portable device to allow for viewing without a network connection. They later added the ability to stream previously transcoded content and then content that is currently being recorded. If you look at the GenieGo page on the DIRECTV site it says recorded shows all over the place, never says live TV. Within those limitations it works just fine. I have over 100GB of recordings transcoded on my GenieGo ready to be copied to our iPhones or iPads when needed.

It is worthless. Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Surprised Direc would put a unit like this out.
It's feels unfinished. A beta unit that is still in testing.
They should have looked at devices that operate better.
Unit is suppose to allow you to watch without internet connection, recorded shows.
Does not work! It's a nightmare.
Again. Garbage.

I have one and use it occasionally and for what it does it works ok. It is clunky and not intuitive, but it does work.

I primarily use it to download some shows/movies for airplane trips or long car/train rides to reduce data usage.

For short-term viewing I have a sling box and use that.

As for GenieGo streaming, it isn't there yet. A Beta tag would be appropriate for it. Also stupid that it is limited to wifi on phones - many areas I go get much better streaming with 4G or LTE than with local wifi.

I thought I found a way to beat the system. It is for recorded shows only. So I go to my DTV app, and start recording the show I want to watch. Then I go to the geneiego app and watch essentially with a few second delay. Everything I watch is "recorded". But it didn't work as planned. Like most have said, it is garbage.

Mine works fine, I think it does what it is intended to do, I have had it for 3 months now and it has worked like a charm, sure it is not a Slingbox, but it gets the job done, I like most about it is that it does not take over the DVR while I'm using it remotely so my family can continue watching their own shows at home, I wish the video quality was a little better though, and yeah adding Live TV to the equation without the record and watch immediately work around would be great, but I like the device.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)