Genie mini freezing

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rob321

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 15, 2005
Atlanta GA
i have a genie DVr installed and three mini clients. I noticed one of my minis will freeze sometimes for like 5 seconds. My service was just installed a couple weeks ago. Any ideas what I can check?

I would personally try swapping the location on the mini's to see if the problem followed the box or remained in the location. If it follows the box, check the software version against the other two. If it remains, I would call for a service call. Probably something in the wiring or power at the location.

Restart both the client and the mini.
Mine does it once every few weeks and I hard reset it and everything goes back to normal.
Honestly the DirecTV mini hardware is absolute garbage, but of course can't expect much from their 1st gen. I heard complaints that even the wired one do that. I have the wireless client.

I'm hoping next year they come up with a better client and hope they add better receivers like Dish, I am so jelous about Dish Network, almost makes me want to switch to them just because of their receivers.
The only thing that is holding me back really is the Sports packages, but I might just leave after September.

I have a family member near me, when I go to their house the PQ on the Dish Network is pretty good, I can't honestly tell the difference between the two. And they got the last gen hopper, not the latest one, still the last gen hopper is better than my HR44-200.

Reactions: Marcingak
Forgive me for this, but I'm a Dish guy with system installed at our camper in NC mountains. However, we share a home with our son & family in Florida. They signed up for Directv after Verizon sold out to Frontier (YUK) in Tampa Bay area. Main receiver (DVR) + 4 minis. Only the mini in our area of the home will occasionally freeze for like 4 or 5 seconds. Installer has been great at trying to remedy this. Ran new wire direct from splitter (not split with any other tv) direct thru wall (not connected thru wall plate) to tv. Freeze still occurs. Installed new mini in our area. Still occurs. Installed new HDMI cable. Still occurs. Switched HDMI ports on TV. Still occurs. Even reset main receiver several times now. Still occurs.

At a loss now for a cure. It's annoying for sure but not a game changer for me at least.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using the SatelliteGuys app!

There is no fix. The mini clients are pure garbage. The only way to fix it is for DirecTV to introduce new minis with better hardware.

Did the Installer run ALL NEW WIRE FOR EVERYTHING?

the issue is not so much the wire to the individual client, but the entire MOCA network it's self.

I had 2 houses several months ago with existing wiring and basically just lit up all the outlets instead of toning out all the wires.

Same issue with the freezing.

Only after I toned out all the lines and only used the lines we had connected to clients. I also changed all the fittings.

Even if the cable to the genie is bad you could have issues.

My suggestion is install all new wire for the entire system including the rooms that are working fine.

Install 1 splitter, and minimize on the use of barrel connectors.

Wireless mini is an other option, but I think those are junk due to the limited range.

Should work fine after you do what I mentioned.

Forgive me for this, but I'm a Dish guy with system installed at our camper in NC mountains. However, we share a home with our son & family in Florida. They signed up for Directv after Verizon sold out to Frontier (YUK) in Tampa Bay area. Main receiver (DVR) + 4 minis. Only the mini in our area of the home will occasionally freeze for like 4 or 5 seconds. Installer has been great at trying to remedy this. Ran new wire direct from splitter (not split with any other tv) direct thru wall (not connected thru wall plate) to tv. Freeze still occurs. Installed new mini in our area. Still occurs. Installed new HDMI cable. Still occurs. Switched HDMI ports on TV. Still occurs. Even reset main receiver several times now. Still occurs.

At a loss now for a cure. It's annoying for sure but not a game changer for me at least.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using the SatelliteGuys app!

What model is your main receiver? If it's an HR34 then you need to upgrade to either and HR-44 or even an HR-54.

I called, told them I didn't watch the mini. They took it off my bill, said they would send a box so I could send it back. It sits on my bench and no box has ever been sent. It's been a couple months now. Maybe they don't want them back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts