Genie no Pause

Plywodstatebum

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 12, 2004
A Secluded Beach In, Fl.
Ever since the commercials started when you pause the Genie, mine starts playing again. after about 30 sec. You have to be a track star to get to the toilet and the fridge.
Anyone else have the Genie problem?

Ever since the commercials started when you pause the Genie, mine starts playing again. after about 30 sec. You have to be a track star to get to the toilet and the fridge.
Its not playing your show, its playing a different commercial .... designed for the Pause button.

Reactions: raoul5788
My friend with an HR44/700 said hers just started doing this. She would normally pause the local evening news just as the broadcast got started and then head into the kitchen to make dinner. When she got done she would hit Play and be able to skip the local commercials. Yesterday she said she was surprised to hear voices from the TV and her Genie had resumed on its own, maybe a minute or two after she paused it.

I think the trick is to Pause, then when the message pops up about pressing a button to continue to pause, press a key. When I tried that the program stayed paused for as long as five minutes before I resumed playback. If I didn’t touch the remote, it started playback a minute later.

Reactions: Plywodstatebum
My friend with an HR44/700 said hers just started doing this. She would normally pause the local evening news just as the broadcast got started and then head into the kitchen to make dinner. When she got done she would hit Play and be able to skip the local commercials. Yesterday she said she was surprised to hear voices from the TV and her Genie had resumed on its own, maybe a minute or two after she paused it.

I think the trick is to Pause, then when the message pops up about pressing a button to continue to pause, press a key. When I tried that the program stayed paused for as long as five minutes before I resumed playback. If I didn’t touch the remote, it started playback a minute later.
Are those hooked up to the internet ?

Thanks for answering, Jimbo. I’m no means a DirecTV expert, but this is an AT&T Fiberoptic install that replaced her old U-verse setup. There’s a pair of what I take to be MoCA adapters, one hooked up behind the TV and Genie, and the other at the AT&T WiFi Router with an Ethernet connection to the router.

The Ethernet attached to the MoCA at the TV end is connected to a switch which goes to a streaming box and her Denon receiver. No Ethernet to the Genie. But if the Genie groks MoCA, then yes, it has an Internet connection.

If I disable DHCP on the Genie’s LAN settings, give it a bogus IPv4 address, that should isolate her Genie. What do I break by doing that? Does the Genie have a Streaming fallback if the DBS signal is disrupted?

Oh, I should add she also has a DirecTV box on her bedroom TV. Would that also have an IPv4 address, or is it simply a player? Hopefully messing with the DVR’s IP address won’t confuse the bedroom player.

Oh, I should add she also has a DirecTV box on her bedroom TV. Would that also have an IPv4 address, or is it simply a player? Hopefully messing with the DVR’s IP address won’t confuse the bedroom player.
Foxbat,
I was mainly pointing out that if the boxes were not connected to the internet, the Commercials won't show when the Pause button is pushed.

Someone else will have to jump in and breakdown the IP portion of your set up as I'm not the one for that side of things.

Ah, thanks. If I play with this and break her TV, I may not be invited back. So I’ll make sure whatever I try isn’t permanent.

From what I can gather from this forum, it seems the Commercial Pause has been a thing for a few years now (dare I say after the AT&T acquisition?) so I wonder why this is suddenly a problem for her?

I have a Genie and 2 other DVR's The Genie is the only one that does this. They are all connected to the internet as are the TV's . I will try what you have posted but you still have to sit and wait for the comercial to appear. After 24 years with D* I'm about to go all internet TV since I can get every channel I watch.
Thanks Guys

Might not be related, but when I had that issue with paused shows starting up again, it was because I had low storage on my DVR. Once I deleted a bunch of junk recordings, the problem cleared up for me.

Ah, thanks. If I play with this and break her TV, I may not be invited back. So I’ll make sure whatever I try isn’t permanent.

From what I can gather from this forum, it seems the Commercial Pause has been a thing for a few years now (dare I say after the AT&T acquisition?) so I wonder why this is suddenly a problem for her?
Has she recently connected it to the internet, maybe it wasn't prior ?

Has she recently connected it to the internet, maybe it wasn't prior ?
To my knowledge, nothing has changed in her configuration in the past year. I will say that she didn’t seem surprised about the ads during the Pause, so it’s just the recent pause cancel that’s annoying her.

This is a bug in the logic for the "ads in pause" function directv has been playing with for a while. I expect it will eventually get fixed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts